Easy Question for you experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Question for you experts

I want to simply remove my bow rail, clean the mounting areas of old/non existent caulk and reseal with 5200 and reattach the bow rail. Can I reuse the old screws if they appear to be in good shape? I want to do the same with my old starboard and port bow side wall inspection ports. I assume this should be a straight forward quick project but I own a 100 year old house and "assuming" some home projects were simple has turned out badly in the past.
    Thanks,[br]JB[br]\'91 Mako 201[br]Oxford, Maryland

Sure you can do that.[] If the heads of the screws are buggered, I'd replace them. If not use them again.

Comment

Jdeerin - One other thing to consider if you want to replace the screws (to keep the boat looking orginial) is the age of your boat. Some of the newer guys don't know this, but all the older boats - '60's, '70's and into the early '80's used all SS slotted screws (don't know the exact year when they changed over). To my knoledge, SS slotted screws are no longer available in any quanities and now All the newer boats come with philips head screws. So, unless you find an old stash of the SS slotted screws, you will not be able to replace (assuming you have slotted) them with new ones. Hope this helps -

Mike
      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Check out this place for your ss fastners.they have excellent service and selection.dave []

http://www.boltdepot.com/dimension.aspx?cc=3&cs=44&cm=6
        85 McKee Waccamaw[br]84 Johnson 90[br]West Creek NJ[br] [br]

Comment

Would not reseal the screw holes using 5200 -- I'd use clear silicone.

5200 is too permanent, you may want/need to remove the bow rail later.
          Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Read here:

http://www.classicmako.com/projects/...o_project7.htm
            Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Davexx...thanks for the fastener link...I have been buying seperately at my local marine store.. I knew I was getting my eyes gouged out !! but come on !! I'll be ordering in bulk right away..
              22 Tiara pursuit[br]Greenwich,Ct

Comment

I buy SS fasteners from a local ACE hardware store. They have a great selection and the prices are very nice too.
                Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I get a lot of my fasteners at our local ace also. They tease me when I come in " What ya building today, Noah?" dave
                  [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Working...
                  X