1983 17 classic rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 17 classic rebuild

greetings fellow mako owners. I am the proud new owner of an '83 17 classic in need of some work. the boat has been kept outside in the florida sun since she was originally purchsed. the fuel tank is full of holes and the deck has a soft spot on the port side just in front of the console which is hopefully just the fiberglass deck coming loose from the ribs? I have removed the fuel tank and I need to find a place to make or buy a new one, any suggestions? Its a 35 gallon tank made by florida marine tanks. any recomendations on aluminum, stainless, or plastic. I would also like to rewire the lights and all the console switches as the are basically useless except for the ignition switch.

CONGRATS on your great little boat,I got a 17 not to long ago myself.Before I go on,you should post your name and town before BossHog gets to ya[]Any way I'm replacing my tank aswell.Ordering from ATLANTIC COASTAL WELDING,5 day turn around,epoxy coated,marine grade aluminum(5052).I recommend An aluminum tank, most of the poly tanks or plastic tanks do not have baffles,keeps fuel from sloshing back and forth.The port side floor should be inspected while you change the tank, could be serious delamination of the floor stringer.Rewire after you get the first couple things done,It's gonna be longer than you expect.Post some pictures,more people can help.

thanks,

vbmako17,VBVA[8D]
    1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Comment

Ash, welcome welcome welcome. I'm always glad to see another 17 owner.

As for your deck/rib problem, try this, if you can: My 17 has an inspection port just forward of the motor, between the livewells. If you've got one, stick your arm in up to the elbow and root around... I think you'll find that your stringers don't go up to the floor. I know this sounds wayyy off base and it may just be that the stringers don't come up to the floor just in the back. Either way, a soft spot means water intrusion, and not much else. [:-(]
      \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

I see you are in Tampa, so a good place to get a new tank is Mattson and Company and their phone number is 813-248-8265
        1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

Good luck on the restoration. Any pictures of the past work? I'm heading for a new stringer/fuel tank/deck replaement myself. Look forward to seeing progress on your new to you 17. Angler or standard?

welcome,

SB
          Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

Working...
          X