Too much power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much power

My project boat (Mako 25 CC 1989) comes with twin 225 1992 Mariner EFI[}]. At first looks ok but, after reading postings of the forums looks like 2 much. What are the safety concerns? What is the MPG or MPH for this twin arragement?

Note: I have been fixing the boat and have not run it yet[]. I want it for fishing in Caribbean waters and coast with family.

Lajas, PR
    JAPD

Too much??Is that possible??

Comment

What's the hp of the engines?
      Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

Opd... I forget the most important thing!!! They are twin 225 EFI.
        JAPD

Comment

Max hp for that boat is 370hp. Twin 150s or 175s are excellent for that hull. Twin 200s will make it fly...

Tom
          Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

On the plus side... the engines will hardly be working while cruising if proped right, and you'll be able to run pretty well with only one engine if the other breaks down.[] What were they thinking at Marina CostaAzul[}]
            Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

Those are the good things... [8D]And I will let you know about the ride this weekend, if I get the final work (at least for now!!!)

JAPD

Comment

No such thing as To Much Power on a Mako -
                1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

If you face into a 3 footer at full throttle and ride it, only the prop. should be in the water. [][]

I want to ride on this boat!

More power, urgh, urgh, urgh.[:x)]

Be careful!
                  Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Not worth it... If you run into ANY sort of liability issue - hit someone, someone hits you, ANYTHING, regardless of whether you're in the right or wrong - then your insurance company will hang you out to dry.

"Uh, honey, remember when that other guy's boat gently bumped ours, and he fell and claimed to hurt his back, well, now he's suing us for $500k, and our insurance won't cover it because I overpowered the boat, and so now the court is going to take away our house to pay the guy's claim..."

Not worth it.
                    NYC & L.I. - 1974 \"Classic\" Mako 20\' - Suzuki 2006 DF150 - Fly & Light Tackle, C&R[br]My boat: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23444#159594[br]Personal website: http://www.georgemcauliffe.com/

Comment

Biff:

I dont know much about insurance... I dont have insurance on my boat. I have been boat owner for 6 years (diferent boat) and didnt have any insurance. But If I get public liability using the description of what I have, I'll be cover. For sure they will increase the premium... I will check the insurance issue... You scare me with the 500k thing!
                      JAPD

Comment

there is no such thing as being over insured if you own anything worth anything!!
                        [br]Burlington , MA[br]Previous Boats[br]25\' Mako CC 225 Yamaha (sold)[br]30\' Grady Marlin T/250 Yamaha\'s (sunk) [br]Current boats [br]10\' Zodiac 8hp Yamaha[br]15\' Whaler 75hp Merc[br]24\' Wahoo! EFS 250hp Merc[br]

Comment

But the thing is that in this case looks like the problem is overweight. The holes for drain the trasom are under the water line and allow water to the bilge. Aparently, the motors weigh too much! Any Ideas to reduce the amount of water getting in by this holes? The drain holes are protected by a piece of rubber but didnt seal enough.
                          JAPD

Comment

There are a couple of possibilities.

1. Where are your batteries? If they're back under those accessory hatches, move them to the console. It's a better location for them anyways.

2. Where are the two oil tanks? Move them forward as well.

Prop Blast
                            Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Those 225's weigh less than 10 pounds each than the 200 so you are not overweight. They are heavy, but even if you had the 200's you aren't going to change anything. As suggested by Prop Blast, you need to move the batteries to the console at a minimum. Anything you can move forward will help. On the old 25 I used to fish on, it wasn't un-heard of to flood the forward compartment to help balance out the boat at rest when bottom fishing.
                              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                              1985 Mako 20c - sold
                              Fort Walton Beach, FL
                              http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Working...
                              X