Mako 17 /Yam 115__Setup Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 17 /Yam 115__Setup Questions

Any 17 owners running a Yamha 115 2 stroke, looking for advice on what prop your running and your engine height. I know VBmako17 and MtPleasant Mako have this setup and probably some more. Retired my old Johnson 115 and made a trip to Ed's in Va. I have to buy all my rigging , but hope to be putting it on soon.

Thanks Rd
    1971 17 Standard[br]Clemson SC

I just hung the exact same motor, from EDS, on my Dads Mako 17 Angler back in November. To answer your questions:

Hang the motor on the bottom hole (as high as it will go), and you want a 19 inch three bladed prop. I bought a Michigan Wheel Solas for ours. We hit 5400 RPM's, and about 46 mph. We do have transom livewells which add alot of drag. Without those on the boat, I should hit 50.

Also, as I am sure you are aware, Eds had a great price on the motor, and really crappy prices on all of the mounting accessories (Binnacle, gauges, keyswitch, oil tank). Go to Ebay and you will find what you need and save a ton of money.
    1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

Man I love this site!!

Thanks for the great info John. Ed's prices on everything but the motors and boat packages did seem high. I had already been warned by forum members (Did I mention I love this site). Been looking on Ebay and other sites for the rigging stuff.

John are you running the multifunction tach or analog?

Do you mind if I email you with questions, since you have just been thru this?

Thanks again, you guys are the best

Comment

I am running the multifunction gauges, it really cleans up the dash, since it also has the fuel gauge, trim gauge, etc.. built in.

I actually bought a twin engine rigging kit, which consisted of two key switches, two tachs, and a speedo off ebay for about $700. I then resold one of the tachs and one of the key switches for $320. I ended up paying $380 for what Yamaha wanted around $1000 for.

I got the oil tank from a buddy of mine that repowered with a four stroke, his was a 01 OX66. I bought the binnacle off ebay for $150.

You can email me at the office at [email protected]. Make sure you put MAKO in the title, so I will not accidentally delete it as SPAM.

John
        1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

Rd,

Try www.fpmarine.com. They buy odd lots of marine stuff from "out of business" dealers. They might have some good deals on Yamaha rigging.

I also look forward to checking your rig out with the new 115 on it. I'm probably going to repower next year. I'd like to compare speeds and fuel consumption.
          SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

I am probably going with the multi function tach for the space considerations also. You did very well on all your rigging supplies.

All that stuff adds up quick. Thanks for the willingness to answer my question. I will shoot you an email soon.

SCmako17 that is a good site. They have the best price yet on the 704 binnacle control. Warm weather is just around the corner. I look forward to getting together also. Hope to have my boat ready before swimming weather gets here.

Thanks

Comment

Here is an oil tank

http://auctions.floridasportsman.com...ccs&1114815422

Comment

John

Thanks for the link on the oil tank auction. Emailed him and it has been sold. That was a good price. I will keep checking the site.

Thanks again for the help.

Roger

Comment

Rd,

Let me know when you're going to install. I don't really know much about it but would be interested in learning. I'm good for a 12 pack at least[]

Comment

MY 115 is mounted so the anti cavitation plate is 1" below the bottom of the boat,It's also the commercial model, premix only,hung on the 2nd hole from the top.My motor may be slightly differen't than the new 115 two stroke.I'm running a POWERTECh-19 prop,The boat will move about 50 or so, Maybe even faster.One other thing ,mako changed the hull weight and fuel capacities around 1980,example 1980 standard,1400lbs&24gals fuel.1989 standard,1250lbs&35 gals fuel.Given the weight differences,you might wanna check with a lot of expierenced prop shops,to get prop scans ETC.. suited to the rightweight that you think you'll be running.This is an area of great importance!Could make your boat run really,really good or really,really bad.Also with all of the transom restorations on these older makos,you never know what height the refurbisher went back with on the transom.So 2ND bolt ,4th bolt who knows.Wrong height/prop = engine damage.

THATS MY 2CENTS

thanks,

vbmako17,VBVA.
                    1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Comment

VBmako17 that is a good point about transoms. What is a prop scan?

I will definitely make sure the engine is propped in the correct rpm range. It sounds like a 19 should be very close. Thanks for the info.

Scmako you have mail

Comment

The skinny,A prop scan is computer generated scan of your existing prop to rectify any imbalance so as to return the prop to almost perfect condition.The fat,Check out the POWERTECH site for complete info.That sure is a nice 115!you must be stoked!

Thanks,

vbmako17,VBVA
                        1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Comment

Rd,

I didn't get an e-mail from you. Do you mind resending. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X