hard steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard steering

I find my 175 Johnson on my '73 22 steers well at idle or low speed, but as I whip her up it gets REALLY hard to turn the wheel. Am I about to bust the cable??? This is not so on another rivet boat (don't want to disgrace this fine site w/ a blasphemous name ) ahem!(tracker 17) cough cough! I own w/ a 50 on the back. If this is normal, OK; and I really don't want to go the hydraulic steering route. Any suggestions welcome. thanks, Mark.
    \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

If the cable hasnt been changed in a few years you might consider doing so. You can buy a complete kit with helm and cable for a little over a hundred bucks if you shop well. This usually will restore the stearing to new. dave.
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

If you plan on keeping the boat for some time then spend the money and go HYD (or keep replacing cables every 2 years). That way you'll enjoy the time on the water and not constantly be fighting with a stearing wheel the whole time. It's just my 2 cents worth after having both - the manual for my first 9 years (4 cables and 1 big T helm) and the SAME HYD system for the last 16 years. Do the math -

Mike
      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

quote:

steers well at idle or low speed

I've been wondering if the little trim tab/anode is out of adjustment?

Comment

My thoughts as well. That little anode can effect the steering quite a bit I've been told but a number of folks. Worth a look, Far cheaper fix as well.. Free is a good thing (sorry my wife is sych'd Martha's out of the pokey)

SB
          Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

Sounds almost like the same problem I was having with my Boston Whaler Montauk. The motor on that boat was not set up right on the transom. I raised the motor up one set of holes to take care of my hard steering. Once on a plane the trimming of the motor made it even better. If it was the tab don’t you think with cable steering that he would have a bad pull to one side or the other? Maybe not…….
            01\' Mako BayShark 2100[br]200 Optimax[br]Lakeland Fl.

Comment

quote:

but as I whip her up it

What does that mean?

Is it light/easy when you turn into the rotation of the prop and hard the other way? Does the boat tend to drive port or starboard if you let it do its own thing?

If you are running hard and fast with the bow up, then I think you are fighting engine torque and the weight of the boat.

If you are running at mid throttle you might try adjusting the trim to see if you can lighten it up.
              [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

Yep, shankiee and I are the same path. To much engine torque on the steering while under way it what I'd guess first.
                [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

hard steering:if the helm is difficult to turn at all times than it's usually a cable.if the steering is difficult and seems like it wants to turn one way and you're fighting the wheel than it's torque steer-try trimming the engine up does it feel better?? a good practice with cable steered boats is to trim the engine up till the steering feels light.a quick check is to tilt the engine up and look at the torque tab-on the omc/bombardier out boards that torque tab is not a zinc anode-see if it is in the middle if it's not than move it there.test run the boat see if it is better if it is than you're a genious you solved your problem.if the boat still wants to turn than move the tab in the opposite direction of that pull just a little at a time untill you get it right.the bolt that secures that tab will loosen due to the prop wash so use a little dab of blue lock tite on it DO NOT USE THE RED LOCK TITE IT WILL NOT COME OFF WITHOUT HEATING IT.you guy with yamaha and merc out boards should do the same thing-ever notice that the zincs are loose -that's why.the hydraulic steering is the only way to go-it's expensive but well worth it. a good practice with the cables is to lube them with corrosion block grease-pull the cable out of the tilt tube get a brush that chucks into the drill run it through the tube to break up any rust in there spray it with crc don't use wd40-crc is the only product that i am aware of that actually neutralizes salt!! than pack that tube with the corrosion block grease-use that stuff it's worth the extra moneyand apply that grease to the cable while you are putting it input the end seal on the opposite side this will avoid water entering the tilt tube and you're done!!

Comment

Great contribution Jawz, what you said sure makes sense. dave
                    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Does sound like Jawz has been around a boat or two.
                      01\' Mako BayShark 2100[br]200 Optimax[br]Lakeland Fl.

Comment

quote:

pull the cable out of the tilt tube get a brush that chucks into the drill run it through the tube to break up any rust

A 12ga shootgun brush work's well for this.id="size2">

Comment

wart hog - i forgot about you southern boys and the guns you boys have-that's a great idea !! another thing that makes the steering tight -i mentioned this previous-is the bushings on the top and bottom of the tiller pin.when the salt water evaporates you're left with salt which will wick moisture-this will pry into the bushings causing them to become tight-result hard steering.with that it's important to keep the engine lubed at a regular rate-just use a quality grease in the gun and give the fittings a shot twice a month!!

Comment

We started this out with:
                            quote:

Originally posted by mchar

my '73 22 steers well at idle or low speed, .

Mark, you got some great tips!

Comment

OK, see what happens when you go to sleep - thanks for all the replies...I don't have tabs on the boat, it steers hard in both directions, and gets harder as my speed goes up. I haven't tried trimming up the motor while running yet. I didn't know it was every 2 years to replace cables...that is not going to be easy to fish that cable..I'd rather sawsall the transom and those lousy fish boxes out! Mark
                              \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

Working...
                              X