1973__22' vs. 1980 20'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973__22' vs. 1980 20'

OK, I have decided to put this one out there.

I currently own the 1980 said 20'. It is a great boat, easy to manage and rides great. I have an opportunity to look at a 1973 22' which I can get a great deal on, especially for around here. Both boats need to be re-powered but as a general ride and comfort level, is there really much to be gained stepping up? The conditions around here where I run out of, Buzzard's Bay, Nantucket and the Vineyard get pretty choppy. My thinking is the extra length and weight of the 22' would take the chop better and be a bit dryer. In addition, the 22' would be better for the kids overall than the 20'. Obviously there are certainly contingencies to the condition of the 22' but I am interested in getting some feedback from anyone who runs either or both.

I have had a '73 22 for over 25 years now and would not part with it for anything. I do my boating in Long Island Sound and have also had the boat many times 50 or 60 miles south (on a good weather day) of Montauck Pt for tuna. The boat is very stable at rest when drift fishing and can get you up into real skinny water when you want. With a 225 on the back ready to go she cruses at about 35 knots and draws about 12 inches of water at rest. More that onec I have needed to jump into the water and pull the boat to deeper water (after we stayed to long in a good spot fishing for SB) so that I could put the motor back down. Great boat but is can be a wet boat if it's choppy -3 to 4s and especially if you running quatering the wind. Some people don't like them because they have the bilge hatch in the rear down lower then the top of the transom but I have never had any problems. I have completely rebuilt the boat since I got her and still find things to fix or change. As far as being seaworthy, I have NEVER felt threatened of the boat letting me down even when sometimes I should not have been out there. If you have specific questions just ask away. Hope this helps - Mike
    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Mike!

You are running in pretty similar conditions as I, so your input is especially appreciated. It can't be any wetter that the 20' in similar conditions.

HD

Comment

I agree with Mike. I have a 1972 22' and feel the same way. I run out of the Merrimac river in newburyport MA. It's a little rough on the knees when running in 3+ foot seas, but it's a very well built boat and have all the confidence in her in rough seas. As far as that bilge hatch goes, I have never had a following sea come over the stern. But being the cautious person i am, i just installed some hinges, weather stripping and a locking latch on it and haven't had any problems. I have a 200 zuki on there, cruise at about 30 and top out at about 38.

Mike D.
        [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

I recently purchased a 1969 Mako 19 with a hardly used Suzuki 115 4-stroke (less than 50 hours). Prior to buying it, I consulted with the folks on this site and got mixed opinions regarding the age of the hull. I'm sure I'll be fine with the set up. I also live and fish mostly Buzzards Bay water. What are you going to do with the 1980 20' if you decide to move to the 22'? Have any pics of either set up?
          69\' Mako 19[br]03\' Suzuki 115

Comment

I really don't think you gain anything by going to an old style 22 other than a little more space. The 20 is as good or better riding. If you were looking at a newer 22 with a deep v hull that is a much different story.

Comment

Where's the 22 your looking at ? It might be my old boat.

Comment

Hdavis - If you do buy that 22 and you want to talk about it more, get in touch with me by email throught this site. And if you wanted to take a drive down to CT in the spring when I get the cover off, I would be glad to give you a guided tour of my boat and discuss the "finer points" about all the mods I have done. Probably would give you good insite as to what was ahead for you with yours. Anyway - just let me know if you need anything -

Mike

Comment

My 76 22 had the same bilge hatch......I fixed mine with a sawzall []

I have never rode in 20, but fully agree with the guys above and thier positive comments about the 22. Very solid and stable, but wetter than He##
                  Greenwich, NJ[br]1976 22B

Comment

I had a '78 22, same boat. I have fished both a 20 and 22. The 22 will help your overall ride and is built like a tank. But.......but.....be warned, it will beat the shiat out of ya in 3-4 footers, but no more than a 20. Several times I looked back to insure the transom was still there [:0].

I also rigged a latch down for the bilge hatch. Never had a problem with it.

Good news....very stable, and I sold my 78 in 03 for 10K $ with 20 year old power on it.

Comment

Classic73mako, do you have room for one more? I'm always in CT fishing the Farmington. I'm just in northeastern Mass
                      [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

I have owned my 1973 22b for about a year. Overall I absolutely love it. The one major complaint in the amount of water that gets into the bilge through the hatch compartment. I have had a couple of close calls nearly sinking. I recently re-routed the bilge lines to come out of the sides of the boat rather than out the stern. This has helped. I get compliments on this boat all the time and it's 32 years old. They don't make them like they used to!

Shaun T Jeffries[br]1988 Mako 17 Standard Pompano Beach, Florida[br]http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad352/aucshaun/Boat/mako2.jpg

Comment

Mrdelgado - Anytime you want to come down and fish the lower Housatonic / Long Island Sound area for SB or Bluefish your welcome. I keep my boat in the mouth of the Housatonic River in Milford, CT just a stones throw from the RT 95 bridge.

Mike

Comment

Hdavis - Unlike Shep, I like the boat's rear bait wells/fish boxes for standing on when fishing - like a rear elevated casting platform. If the bait well covers are sturdy enough you can walk back and forth across the complete beam of the boat without any problems. Also,do you know if the gas tank has been changed in the boat that your looking at? If not, I would say that it's definately nearing the end of it's life so you should take this into consideration if you going to buy it. A new tank will set you back about $500 and a couple of weeks of real hard work removing the CC and redoing the tank. No big deal though, just a lot of work. When I did my tank I went fron the 50gal that was in there to a 65gal - that's 25% more fuel (could have gone bigger by another 15 or so gal but didn't because of the water line etc) and it didn't alter the way the boat sat in the water (for self bailing) or change the ride because the weight change was right there at the boats center of gravity.

Mike

Comment

I too loved the fishboxes and bait well. Makes me wonder why they got away from that.It took a little from fishing room, but not that much. I would rather have that set up in my 21B than those damn fish boxes on the sides !

Comment

Working...
                              X