Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engraving Stock - Ringleader

Ringleader,

I have been pouring through the site looking for new ways to spend money[(#)]and I came across some pics of the custom console plates you made from engraving stock. First, where can I get some. Second, how did you cut the panel and the switch cutouts. Third, would that stuff work for covering my console face and flush mounting my electronics? Not sure if it is strong enough. Any info on what you did will be appreciated.
    Keep em\' Bent[br]----------<{{{{{{><[br]David[br]1999 Mako Bayshark 2100[br]Tampa, FL

David,

I did the very same thing as Ed.

You should be able to get the stock from any plastics supplier. Make sure you get the stuff rated for exterior use as it is UV stable.

I cut the panel to site on a table saw using a blade that was not very aggressive. Something with large teeth with chip the edges. Take you time and go slow. Practice a few passes first before trying to cut the final edge. The gauge cutouts were done with hole saws in a drill press and the switch holes were done with a dremel. I then cleaned all the holes up with a file.

I wouldn't trust the stuff to support flush mounted electronics. Not unless you backed it with a piece of aluminum or something. It's pretty flexy....

Here's a write-up on my project:

http://cablespeed.com/%7Ebriandm/projects/project4.htm
    Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Yep, what Brian said. I cut mine on the table saw with the blade set to about 30 degrees. That way I had an instant bevel. Then I used the Jig saw to round the corners.

I used a jig saw as well to cut the holes for the switches, but its very difficult to get good straight holes with a jig saw. Using a jig saw to rough cut the holes and then using a file will take some time, but you'll get the holes much straighter.

I had made templates out of posterboard to show where the engravings would fall above each switch.

I used 1/8" material when I did mine. Since then I have found that they make a nw series called "Heavyweights" which is 1/4" thick. Thats what I'd use now.

http://www.rowmark.com/secondary.asp...ls/default.asp
      Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Good thinking with the 30 degree bevel Ed! You are the master! []
        Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Brian/ED -

Thanks for the info on this, you have both done an excellent job. What are your thoughts of using the Heavyweight in 1/2 inch stock for mounting the electronics? I am not planning to cut out the entire existing dash and replace with this cover. Basically, I have a couple of items that need to be mounted and the existing holes are just a bit off. The electronics will actually fasten to the existing fiberglass, the new panel is for appearance only.

Wait a minute, I think I just answered my question.
          Keep em\' Bent[br]----------<{{{{{{><[br]David[br]1999 Mako Bayshark 2100[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by FIN-DEEP

Basically, I have a couple of items that need to be mounted and the existing holes are just a bit off. The electronics will actually fasten to the existing fiberglass, the new panel is for appearance only.

In that case I'de go with the thin stuff.

I rounded the corners on mine using a fixed mount belt/disc sander.

One other tip....the engraving stock will come with a stuck on plastic cover for protection. Leave this on until you are ready to mount the piece. I actually covered it with an additional layer of masking tape so I could lay out the panel with a pencil so it was easy to see where I needed to make the cuts.

Thanks for your compliments. []
            Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Working...
            X