Inboard Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inboard Questions

Guys, I have a list of questions about Mako inboards.

Im looking at pictures that a fellow member sent me of console from a 23 IB and Im trying to get my basic layout done. heres my questions:

Are the consoles screwed to the floor or are they hinged as to service the engine?

Is there any storage in the console? If not well fix that problem.

Where were the batteries located originally?

Where are the fuel tank/s and how many useable gallons did they hold?

How many GPH did the boat use under normal operation?

What diameter and pitch were the 23s running with 5.7 GMs?

Sorry about all the questions but its all relitive as to how I start this project. Thanks Guys, Gary.

hey uncle g dog check your email!!!!

Comment

Gary,

I have a 1988, it is very different than my friends 1976.

For the 1988: Center Counsel screwed to deck, the front chair is hinged for decent access to the engine. To pull the engine you need to pull the counsel. The Counsel has minimal storage, basically a glove box. I have one battery in the center counsel, and one in the access hatch for the muffler. Originally had a 260 hp 350 with a 1.5:1 transmision. The prop was a 14x16. I now have a 300hp 350 with the prop finally properlly pitched it is a 16x15. The fuel tanks are under the deck in the rear. 2 40 gallon tanks. At cruise 12 to 14 gph at around 28 mph. I have a pic in the boat pic thread if it helps. Be glad to answer anything else.
      Paul[br]Plantation, Fl [br]1988 Mako 236 Inboard

Comment

Jaws,

If your e-mail to Gary answered alot of this could you copy me? YOu seen to know a hell of a lot about the inboards, I would love to know more.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Gary, I have a 1979 236. I have the 255hp Mercruiser with a 12R14 Prop. I cruise about 19knots at 3600 RPMS. My bottom was sanded down last year and I have two coats of Micron CSC on there. My console, like the 1988 described above is screwed to the floor with a teak toe rail inbetween. The front of my console, the bench, is hinged and rolls foward to allow access to the motor. There is also access through a teak louvered hatch on the lower part on the back of the console. I don't know how many GPH I burn because truthfully, if I ignore it, the cost of fuel doesn't seem to bother me as much. As far as fuel capacity goes, I hold 80 gallons in two separate tanks. My batteries are both located in the rear access hatch next to the muffler. There is with the exception of a glove box type area, no storage in the console. The only built in storage my boat has is in the floor area of the bow and the anchor locker (which is extremely large).
          Formerly: Mako 236[br]Currently: 35\' Viking[br]Greenwich, CT

Comment

Gary,

Not to hijack or steer this thread in a completely different direction...but been thinking since that last three page fiasco regarding inboards and tunnels and what can/cant be done...

Have you given any thought to doing a jackshaft type setup?? Friend has a 24 Albie, its a sweet rig with the jackshaft. Get the speed and trim that comes with an outboard or I/O, the weight and efficiency of a forward sitting block...

I dont know, just seems to me that would be a much easier re-do than what you're contemplating with significant advantages.
            1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Gary, tried to send you a photo but the email address in your profile is not working. Can you tell me what your email is? The picture is a layout of my 236.

Comment

Send me all the pics you can. My email address is: [email protected]. Thanks

Comment

Putnam,

Can you send me as well?

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Paul, my hotmail won't pick up your email account through your profile link. Can you send me an email and I will respond back with the photos? [email protected]

Comment

Gary, I wonder if you could find a Shamrock 20 and make some measurements from that boat. Even though they have the keel the engine and strut angles should be simmilar. There consoles I believe tip forward for access. The shamrock is a rather flat boat like yours I believe. Just a thought. dave.
                      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Working...
                      X