87 Mako 248 - Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 Mako 248 - Opinions

Hey guys, first post here. Got a few questions and it looks like I'm in the right place. I'm looking at an 87, 248WA. It has 94 model, twin 135 Mercs. I'll be trolling the G-stream off of SC and its usually not lake calm out there. Any opinions(big water ride, quirks, etc) on this model would be appreciated very much. How about the power? Is it enough? All comments welcome, good & bad. [8D]
    i[br] i[br] i[br] j <\'))))>{ [br]Greenwood/Mt Pleasant,SC

I was going to buy a 1988 248,but I found a few things I did not like.

1.The drivers console was 2 sections and very loose.I don't know how that will hold up in rough water

2.Cracks around doorway at floor,and also steps at walkaround

The things I did like

1.lots of room in cabin

2.8 1/2 feet wide

3.closed transom

4.single 225 yamaha pushed boat good

I turned the 248 down and stayed with a center console,how much will you really use the cabin? Gets real hot down in there in july.

As for the boat you are talking about the 2 135's should push her fine.Look her over real close and bring a friend, he will see some things you might over look.Good luck
    Gulf Breeze Fl.

Comment

Thanks Hammerdude. I'm waiting on answers to a few more questions about cracks and soft spots from the owner(if any, hes supposed to send pics of). Could'nt tell by the pics I have received, that the console was 2 pc but I'll check that out. As for the cabin, I just sold my 21'WA and prefer the drier ride(and junk storing ability)of the WA vs the CC. The main reason for the moveup is being able to run offshore in adverse conditions and not have to carry extra fuel. Had to really watch the weather in the 21'er.

Comment

Hi,

I own a 1987 Mako 248. In fact, pictures can be found on this site.

Basically, the boat is a tank. It really cuts through the chop nice as it is a true deep v. On the back of mine I have twin 150 Yamahas from 1994. This is a tad more than the recommended weight and without trim tabs I would be in trouble cause I often need to get that bow down once on plane. Generally speaking you are gonna want trim tabs on this boat regardless. Cabin is great. Closed transom is awesome for fishing. Had a blast last summer.

Concerns? Mine has the original 1987 fuel tank. The foam around the tank is damp and rotting away. At some point a new tank will need to go in as with almost any boat of this vintage. Spider cracks here and there, nothing I am concerened about though. Remember this is an 87, it is close to 20 years old.

Go test ride this boat like I did against a Grady White of the same vintage. I guarantee you will like the ride of the Mako better and your survey may turn out better as well. Also check out the difference in moisture on this boat compared to others in that vintage. Itis generally a dry ride.Don't get me wrong though, this boat was designed for fishing.

Let me know if you have questions and good luck!

Rick O

Comment

Thanks Rick. Yeah, I've probably looked at your boat pics about a dozen times or so.(it marked on my favorites) What do you think about the "two section" console that Hammerhead mentioned above? Also, if you have any pics that were not posted on your project page, would you mind E-ing them to me when/if you have time. I'm trying to thoroughly research this model before I run some 650 miles to inspect it.

Comment

Reelthrill-

Before you drive 650 miles, definitely do your homework, and then spend $300 and hire a professional surveyor. You can meet him at the boat or he can do his survey and send you the results. Either way....I totally recommend it. I have bought two boats from several thousand miles away and used a surveyor before I went down (basically...if the survey came back ok...I went down with a check and closed the deal).

Ed

Comment

Hi,

Please send an email to [email protected]

I do not see your email address.

I will send you a bunch of pictures I have of the boat.

Happy to help out.

Thanks,

Rick

Comment

Thanks Ed. Yeah, I'll definately employ the services of a surveyor. Never used one before though(and I've owned 12 boats) Got any tips for finding a reputable person.

Hey Rick, I just E-d you. My address is supposed to be viewable but I'll go to my profile and check it. Thanks again. Oh yeah, are you any relation to the Jimmy Oleary on this site? He has(I think) a 254 in the project section.

Comment

Hi,

Sent you some more pics. I don't know of relation to the other O'Leary on the board although I suppose there could be one.

Thanks,

Rick

Comment

I was with Hammertime when he sea trialed this boat. A very nice ride, big and dry. Boat was just not up to our expectations. The OX66 225 Yamaha had a problem at cruise.....it would die......[].

A real shame as he liked the boat.

Hammertime and myself are brothers, him being the oldest by a "bunch of years" []. He is in Pensatucky Fl. and I am in Jesusville Fl. Don't know Rick.

Comment

Thanks Rick. Got the pics late last night. Just curious, whats the roughest seas you've been out in? (height & period)

Hey Alcedo, I appreciate the response. Jesusville huh. Sounds like a nice place to live. As for the power thing, do you think the boat you guys tested was underpowered, had motor problems or could the boat have waterlogged foam?(making it so heavy at the stearn that it would'nt stay on plane)

Thanks again to everyone for their comments and pics!!!!

Comment

The boat did not seem water logged, thinking back on it, the motor would only screw up when power was gradually applied, it was fine at cruise, fine if ya hammered it, only missed a beat when ya eased power on. Did not seem under powered......was no rocket, but came up on plane nicely and moved right along.

Jesusville is Jacksonville Fla. We call it that cause there are more chrurches than people, and at the rate they are throwing them up.....well, must be a big money maker.

Comment

Thanks. I've been to Jacksonville a few times. I must have stayed on the wrong side of town []

Comment

Roughest seas I have been out in are 4 to 5 footers and I am not going to sit here and tell you it was comfortable because it was not.

The Mako 248 has an 8 1/2 foot beam and again has a Deep V hull.

With that said, it can get a bit rocky and rolling when you are anchored up which does not bother me at all. That is the trade-off you get for a Deep V.

Comment

Thanks Rick. Yeah, boat action while anchored wont bother me much either as I very seldom anchor. I rode in the 261 and I guess I'm hoping this boat will be remotely close to that ride. Pretty much had decided to go down this coming week, and they changed brokers. Have'nt heard back from him yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X