offshore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• offshore?

I am currently trying to narrow down my boat options. I love the look of the makos over the whalers out there. I have a couple of questions about offshore running with the makos. I am thinking in the 23ft size range. I'll be running on the west coast out of monterey/santa cruz areas mostly. For the albacore, a typical run is usually 20 - 30 miles out. How are the makos in heavy wind chop with 6-8ft swell. Don't plan on running if its nasty, just want to make sure that I can make it back in if things get dicey. Any particular setups I should be looking at or to avoid? Thanks in advance.

A well maintained Mako will take on anything nature can dish out, but please use common sense and never put lives at risk. I've been on tournaments on the 20 and the 25 where much larger cigarrete-type hulls have sunk, and I never felt unsafe.

Whalers are also very safe, but even the largest ones will break your back in any chop (with the exception of the mid-late 90's 21 Outrage-> an amazing craft). I saw a real life unsinkability test when a 27 Whaler struck a bay ferry full speed. People flew everywhere and thankfully no one was injured, and the boat made it back with the fron 5 feet missing.
    Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

Someone might want to break down the deal on deadrise with the 23' makos in the 70's vs 80's. 70's have a modified V hull with little deadrise and in the 80's they started with 19 degrees at the transom but I am looking at a 1979 that looks to be different as far as deadrise compared to the 1976 23' Mako I saw. I'll attach some pictures of the two sterns on the boats I've looked at. It should help you decide what year mako hull to look at and help learn a little about their hulls.

This is a 1979 Mako 23' I'm looking at. Doesn't this deadrise look exactly if not awful close to the one from 1989 I'll show next? 19 degrees in 1989 right? Bottom paint makes it a little tough to make out as well and the slightly crooked photo.

Here is the 1989 Stern.

Looks almost steeper in the 89 photo but it sure isn't the modified v hull of the 1976 mako 23's I've seen.

What do you guys think?
      Shacklefordcharters.com[br]Atlantic Beach, NC

Comment

I may want to run offshore, but I'm not crazy. There is plenty of inshore fishing if the offshore is not a good call. The whalers being rough in chop is the kind of input I am looking for.

-Brian

Comment

Sorry Brian, didn't want to imply that. For offshore fishing you can't go wrong with a properly rigged 20-26 foot Mako from the 80's. If conditions get nasty, they'll bring you home(asumming you have reliable power). They are very stable platforms with a very predictable ride. The 23's and 25's are very popular, and the 26 is a tank, but there's also a 241 since around 1988 that is a very nice boat woth taking a look at (feels bigger than the 25).
          Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

Brian,

A Mako in the 22-24' range would suit your needs just fine. I'd suggest looking for one manufactured in the late 80s thru early 90's. If you could find a 221B or 232 -- jump on it. That is the full transom model (bracket) of the 22, and runs great with a single 225hp.

If you're looking for something a little more capable, move up to the 241. It's a notched transom, but a great hull. It'll run OK with a single 250hp, but was designed to run best with twin 150s.

One reason to buy a boat from model year '90 and on is that beginning with that year's run (and some late '89s had it too), Mako made the gunwale rod holders with drains into the cockpit or bilge -- not just dumping water into the foam. Usually foam plugged the rod holder and caused algae to grow or you got soaked the first time you put a rod in! A minor point that has aggrevated me over the years!

Good Luck,

Prop Blast
            Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

The whaler that I had and most that I have looked at don't have near the storage as a Mako. Convenience is number two after saftey, so keep that in mind.
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
              1985 Mako 20c - sold
              Fort Walton Beach, FL
              http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I've got a 2002 Mako 232. Great boat for off shore, but I doubt it could handle 6-8 footers. I'd probably pick another day.

That said - its a great fishing boat - both off shore and inshore when conditions are calm to 3-4 footers.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies. Yea 6-8 swell is not very good fishing conditions in my book. It sounds like I shouldn't have a problem about running out on a calm day and if it turns nasty, i'll be able to come home with out fearing for my life.

Another question is your guys running duals off the back. Do you still use a kicker motor for trolling? Or would I be better off getting a 225 or 250 depending on the boat size and installing a 15hp of a bracket? Or can I still do that with duals? I think 3 motors off the back will be a little heavy in the rear?

Comment

Hey Brian-

I have a 1991 Mako 231 with 19 degrees of deadrise. It does well in most conditions. In a nice evenly spread out 6-8 ground swell...you would be fine. However, if it is "victory at sea" conditions with waves coming out you from all directions in the 6-8 foot range...."you're gonna need a bigger boat" as the old saying goes.

Ed

Comment

Hey Brian:

Of course you are in the wrong place if you are looking for someone to tell you not to choose a Mako. I fished a 19" on the east coast lots of weekends 30 - 45 miles out. The nice heavy hull and the v made the ride as good as I thought I could get. Moved up to a 29 recently, sure is nice to be able to sit down and get out of the weather, but the 23 is a great ride too. Dont think you can go wrong, and you will learn how much you can tolerate weather wise. On the mako, it usually is miserable long before it is dangerous...
                      99 Mako 293[br]Wear Em Out

Comment

What Ed said....

2 new members and no home town/state, where is Warthog when you need him??? [][]
                        [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

Working...
                        X