Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draining issue on 17ft angler

Hi guys,

Looking at installing a new one way Garboard Plug & I though of an idea that some of you might be able to chine in about. The bilge on my boat doesn't drain directly out of the side of the boat. It drains in the engine well area and then goes out a hole in the engine well. Any water in the bilge is pumped to the well area as well. Problem is the well hole is below the water line by a few inches. This hasn't been a huge issue as once I get going the drain hole is above the water line and the water eventually drains out... at least until i stop and then we're back to a half full engine well and eventually it backs up through the deck drain and boom,,,, I've got a wet deck.[!] I was thinking of installing these one way drain plugs going into the engine well & also out of the well's drain hole. Basically making this a one way drain no backups to the deck. I hope this makes sence to some of you 17 owners. I'm not sure if this really applies to any other type Mako. Here's a link to the plug(s) i'm thinking of.

http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.js...egoryId/12808/

I'll try and get some pics together to clear up what I'm trying to do.

Thanks

SB
    Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

I have a 17' Angler (My Dads boat) and while the deck drains to the motor well, the bilge should pump over the side through a through hull? Is this the way yours is setup?
    1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

Nope, I don't have any thru hulls on the boat. It's got a bilge plug and another drain for the engine well just above that... Seems like a funny set up. The bilge is pumbed so that it drains into the engine well. There are total of 3 hoses that drain into the well. The bilge is on the port side above the port deck drain, & then on the starboard side below where the cabling goes through for the engine etc,,, there's another deck drain fitting. It doesn't make much sence why the bilge doesn't drain directly out of the back of the transom. Maybe someone didn't want to cut through the back... who knows. I guess I could redo the bilge drain and put it through the back.... Just not brave enough to start cutting holes in things yet.

Comment

If I were you I would re-route the bildge pump drain to a thru hull near the rub rail at the back of the boat and fill the other holes. This will ensure proper draining all the time.

Cliff
        Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

Yeah, your bilge needs to pump OVERBOARD, out the side of the boat through a through hull. Your setup now is a recipe for disaster.
          1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

I had the same problem on mine. My deck drains into a sump and is pumped overboard via bildge pump. That is the only way I could do it. That was a crap design on Makos part.

Comment

When or if you replumb the bildge pump. Be sure to run it out the side.

If you run it thru the transom, the backwash from comming off of plane can run right back down into the bildge. A riser loop is alway's a good idea too.

Comment

Salty, I find it very strange that yours is plumbed that differently than mine. I have a through-hull just aft and below the starboard Mako placard... and I'm sure the previous owners did not put it there.

The only thing I don't like is that the deck has to drain into the bilge before it gets pumped overboard; my deck drains are also below the waterline. I plan on installing the ping-pong style scupper as well, because I do most of my running alone, and don't like leaving the wheel to pull the plug out of the transom. [:u]
                \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Mubiks,

Yes sir, no over board bilge drain. I'm going to reroute the bilge drain as Wart recommended. Off the side and NOT trough the transom & the riser loop. What year is your 17 mub? Maybe it's only the older 17's that had this set up way. Anyway thanks for the responces. I've got to hold off on this project until the snow melts & I can the get the boat into the garage. Any sugestions on the thru hull fitting? The boats black so I think white fitting would stand out too much. I like the look of the brass or bronze fittings. Not worried about cost too much.

Thanks

SB

Comment

Anybody know anything similar in stainless? These would work great for the deck drains to backup the scuppers on my setup. Would keep freekin' egg sinkers out of the drains too.
                    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

quote:

I like the look of the brass or bronze fittings. Not worried about cost too much.

You can get Chrome over Bronze here.id="size2">

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/sto...%2D+BRONZE.htm

Go down the page a little. I got mine and Hammertime's from there and

Megabyte got his there too. You can see a pix of them here, sorta

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...?TOPIC_ID=2885

They put those red mesh covers on to protect them in shipping.

Comment

I don't think it is only the older ones, my Dad's is a '72 and the bilge pump goes out the side on it.

Comment

Rude- I know what you're talking about. Maybe you can adapt some sort of strainer to the deck holes. Oh, and watch out for those plastic soda/water bottle caps. They get in there and it's a pain in the a$$ to get them out[(#)]
                          Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

You've got a point there, I really don't know for sure the year of my boat. I've been told it's a 73 by the prior owner. He had the boat for 3 years or so. The hull ID plate fell off before I purchased the boat. The only thing I do know is the outboard was built in 1978. I was thinking the motor was original to the hull but I just used 73 as the date when I registered the boat. State didn't give me any flack. Like Gary said,, anyway you cut it it's a poor design. Gary,, any idea how thick the hull is around the name plate? I'm going to be replacing the bilge pump and probably some of the plumbing that goes with it. Any concerns on the size of hose i should be aware of? I guess matching the pump to the hose would be in order. Either way I'm looking at another month or so before I can dig the boat out of the back yard. Damn snow keeps coming !! [:-(][:-(]

Thanks again,

SB

Comment

quote:

I guess matching the pump to the hose would be in order.

That will go along with the thru hull fitting too. I'd opt for something in the 1 1/8in range. Like a Rule 1500.

Comment

Working...
                              X