Repower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repower

Hi, I'm planning on a repower of my 1987 Mako 258 cuddy. With a pair of 2003 Suzuki 225 EFI's. They weigh 465 each. The max recommended HP for the 258 is 370. Will 450 HP be too much? I never run the boat WOT. Will only run it at optimum cruising speed. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of boats being a little over powered? Thanks for any info. Best Regards, Capttwb
    Capttwb

Typically, HP rating is there for a reason and much of the time, maximum horsepower can be a little to much as well. The boat may ride okay, but if you ever have an accident, even if you were not at fault, you can be found liable for running a boat with too much HP. Maritime law is very different...

Comment

STAY WITH THE RECOMMENDED HP ITS TRUE WHAT WATER DOG SAID ABOUT THE LAW AND DEPENDING WHERE YOUR BOAT IS LOCATED THEY WILL STOP YOU FOR ANY APPARENT REASON (DRUGS, SMUGGLING ETC) WELL I GUESS HERE IN MIAMI THATS THE WAY IT IS GOOD LUCK

Comment

my view is that 450 is too much...

on or around 1987, motors were rated at the powerhead...prop hp is 15% less..twin 175s would put you right at the max and save you money, weight, and fuel.
        1985 21B[br]Southern New Jersey

Comment

Working...
        X