Repower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repower

I am considering buying a new 2004 Yamaha 2 stroke at Ed's marine in Va to repower my 17' standard. I had cosidered buying local, but there is a huge differance in price. I talked with Yamaha cust relations about rigging it myself. They said as long as I could get a Yamaha dealer to verify the install was done correct, it would satisfy warranty requirments. I am sure you guys have done this before and was looking for the pros and cons.

Thanks Rd
    1971 17 Standard[br]Clemson SC

Double check to make sure your pricing Apples to Apples. Ed's price's are good, but you get ONLY the motor. No prop, gauges,wiring harness, key switch and any other trinket's.

Comment

rigging your own engine-do you have the needed mechanical skills and tools required what about a lift for the engine? it isn't a difficult operation but without a clue to your mechanical apptitude i can't answer that. is your boat allready rigged for that outboard? is the replacement engine the same,more or less horsepower? what about your steering system? what about the fuel system?and final question what about the prop? a water test will be required to verify the engine reaches proper rpm if it doesn't than the warranty will not be validated. there is alot more to a repower than just bolting the engine on and calling it a day! i'm not trying to make it out to be brain surgurey but when i hear "do it your selfers" installing a new engine i kinda cringe-usually what happens is that a bunch of know it alls get together and decide that certain things are not need or they're unsure where certain plugs connect and how to adjust the cables for proper operation sometimes it turns into a mess. I AM NOT MAKING FUN OR THROWING ROCKS AT ANYONE BUT THESE ARE FACTS SOME OF THE INSTALLATIONS I HAVE SEEN ARE SCARY!!!!!!! so ask yourself can i really do this am i capable of this and do this with honestey not a wishful attitude.you just spent a lot of money do you want to risk that on an improper installation? if the dealer rigs it and there's a problem it's their problem and they're responsible for it!!!

Comment

Just the taxes alone will usually make up the difference. Make sure the motors are registered for warranty before you ever hit the key. You should be able to get that done at Ed's when you pick it up.

Wart's right on the props, controls, etc. Ed's is a good deal most of the time if you are replacing the motor only.. ie the same prop from the old motor, the same manufacturer for controls and guages, same oil containers. What type of motor are you replacing? If it's an older 2 stroke, you'll need the newer oil tank with the feedback line.

Or, you could just sell the 17' to me and not even worry about that motor... [:x)][:x)][][:x)][:x)]
        Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

I have an old omc crossflow on there now.So even if I go with a new OMC the main motor harness has to be changed . I have confidence in my abilities and equipment to install everything correctly. I troubleshoot and repair electrical and mechanical equipment for a living. I would have to go with all new controls/ harnesses/prop/ switches and purchase an oil tank. Even with that there is a big difference in price. One of the reasons for doing the install myself is to know it is done correctly.

Thanks guys for the responses. I am still on the fence. I have a few more dealers to go to maybe one will give me a good deal. Rude if I see a decent 17 you will be the first to know
          1971 17 Standard[br]Clemson SC

Comment

Working...
          X