unhook the VRO????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unhook the VRO????

Started to service out my new to me 1996 johnson 225 this evening and was wondering opinions from the group on running premix on this engine. It has great compression now and I want it to stay that way for a looooong time. Its real close to my "10 year rule" anyway.

(10 year rule, never trust any oil injection system after the first 10 years) dave.
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

why would you want to un hook the oil pump???? if it fails the alarm will alert you of a problem if it fails and puts too much oil-ruptured diaphram than you have too much oil excessive smoke rough running!! the alarm has a self check when the key is turned on you have the test beeps.the earlier omc products had the pumps that had different color nipples on the outlets they were the ones that had a potential lean oil problem.leave it alone that's my advise!!

Comment

YES! Don't trust dem things. Unhook and one less thing to go wrong.
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Jawz I here what your saying unfortunily thats about all I hear anymore, There is no way I would here that alarm going across the lake. I have been wrenching on loud motors for way to long.[] I always like the oil systems the yamis and suzi. had ./ thanks for your input, sounds like you still have faith in the VRO. dave
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

jawz - you are assuming that the alarm works. It didn't on mine when it went out and burned up cylinder number six.
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

that's why the alarm has a self check if it doesn't work-by that i mean the horn doesn't give it's test beep than you are alerted to the problem-if the horn is inoperative you will have no alarms including the over heat. so i still don't understand someone un hooking the oil inlet on the vro system after 10yrs-it makes no sense!! you should all check to see if the alarm gives it's test beep each and every time the engine is started.the test for the temp sensors is very simple:un plug the sensor lead and ground the harness lead turn the key on the alarm should sound.when someone's engine blows up and i discover that their alarm was inoperative i truly feel bad for them most of the time the horn itself is bad. think about it you stated that the engine blew up did you have an alarm ? if no alarm than shame on you for running the engine without an operating alarm system it could have saved you from a powerhead rebuild due to an overheat condition!! penny wise and dollar foolish-huh?????

Comment

The v6 on my 17 had a vro when I bought it but I disconnected it. I run good gas and oil and have 1 less thing to think about. Its never happend to me, but I have heard horror stories of vro pumps goin south at the worst time. And I have always hated having an oil tank in my boat. The space you save is now room for a 12 pack of tasty beverage.[(#)]

Comment

All of you have a valid point, however, if you're running a single engine, an alarm won't help you several miles out at sea. I've personally been on a 24 Mako with twin Johnson 225 (1994) that had one of the pumps fail 30 miles out. The engine was useless for the trip back. After that I disconected the VRO on the 225 Rude (1987) on the Mako 20 for peace of mind. I used full synthetic oil exclusively in the mix, and didn't notice a drop in fuel economy, and the engine barely smoked, even on startup.
                Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

I guess my mind is made up. I cant afford to rebuild this beast if the injection quits. I been mixing since I was a boy, no reason to stop now. dave/

Comment

WAY TO GO DAVE TAKE THAT DARN THING OUT AND START MIXING YOULL NEVER GO WRONG AND WHILE YOUR AT IT CAN YOU MIX ME A SCOTCH AND WATER

Comment

If the alarm goes off, there is already damage done. If I were you I would leave it in there and change the hoses out every year or two whether they needed it or not. Same goes with the diaphram. If you do this you will never have any troubles. []
                      Capt. Highspeed[br]\"DILLIGAF\"[br]25 Outrage w/ 140 Johnson\'s[br]Matagorda, Tx

Comment

"WHEN THE ALARM GOES OFF THERE IS ALL READY DAMAGE" completely untrue the alarm on an omc outboard goes off for a low fuel flow,over heat oroil related issue either low tank level or no injection.if the alarm goes off it alerts you to a problem before it turns into destruction!!!! that's why the alarm makes a test beep when the key is turned on.

Comment

My '93 200xp 'Rude with VRO and close to 2000 hours is still kicking but on Lake Martin. My brother owns it and it runs great; I get to play once and a while and we still get close to 70MPH when the wind is just right.[]

I'm nearly certain that the engine will shut-down into limp mode if the oil pressure alarm goes off.

Mixing oil sounds like a pain to me..
                          [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

I went through two 150's because the diaphram deteriorated on one and the line had a hole and was sucking air and not enough oil was getting to the motor. Both times the horn went off and the damage was done.
                            Capt. Highspeed[br]\"DILLIGAF\"[br]25 Outrage w/ 140 Johnson\'s[br]Matagorda, Tx

Comment

Mixing seems like a pain, but its not. My dad has a 90 hp Johnson on his boat and we both mixed oil on this rig. Plus the engine gets more oil at low idle speeds than the VRO would give it.

Just from what my dad and I went through.

Comment

Working...
                              X