Just wanted to say "Hi" and "Thanks"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanted to say "Hi" and "Thanks"!

Well, I've been one of the lurkers since last July and finally registered! Picked up a 1979 19'er with twin 75 Johnsons last August and have found a wealth of info here, thanks!

Mike
    [IMG=left]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/cmcmjk/xsmallmimako10.jpg[/IMG=left]Mike & Cynthia[br]Word Cat 250dc[br]Elk Rapids, Michigan

Awesome, keep us posted!
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Holy mako, there is another michigan mako up here in the land of the ice and snow. Let me be the second to welcome you aboard!! Bring that rig over to the big lake this summer and lets chase some salmon.

dave. South haven Michigan. (also traverse city when possible)
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! Dave, we love the big lake and fishing it. Got out a half dozen times this fall on West Bay but only had 2 rods and some dipseys = 1 fish [] ! Needless to say I'm looking for a great deal on a pair of electric downriggers- 4' arms dual rod holders (you know the ones) preferbly Walker or Cannon as I'm not fond of Big Jon! We got the 19' because we can tow it easily to Traverse, Frankfort, or wherever! My wife thinks this might end up like the Land Rover club, so hopefully there are not too many us in the "great white north"! So far I have met one other owner form Elk Rapids, he has 2 17's and is as messed up as the rest of us! He owns a taxidermy shop so I know he is into making "dead things" look good [].

Mike
        [IMG=left]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/cmcmjk/xsmallmimako10.jpg[/IMG=left]Mike & Cynthia[br]Word Cat 250dc[br]Elk Rapids, Michigan

Comment

Mike, We have had great success fishing out of Leland for salmon out around the north manitu island. Out of probably 20 trips last year we only came back empty one time. One of the other michigan mako owners has a couple of downriggers and a planer board setup for sale he goes by the nameof DSchaden I believe they were penns electric with long arms and rodholders. I also see deals once in a while in the traverse city record eagle. If you can come to the grand rapids sports and fishing show in march you can pick up decient downrigger rods for about 10-15 bucks each. Reals are gonna run 25-35 there.

Always check the paper and garage sales, salmon stuff comes up for sale all the time good luck dave.
          [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Dave,

I found a decent deal on rods and reels back in November $35 for Penn 209's on 2 Eagle Claw rods and 2 Penn Fathom Master Rods. I passed on 2 Walkers for $500 that were on Ebay right in Kingsley (about 10 miles from me). Just keep your ears open and let me know via e-mail if you hear anything!

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

welcome CM
              Slim[br]Lafayette [br]1973 19-6 Aquasport[br]An a few Makos[br]

Comment

Mike, your boat shows to have a 20 inch transom Those motors you have are probably 20 shaft outboards. When you mount these off the centerline you need to raise the outboards up to get the cavitation plate right at the bottom of the hull. This can be as much as 4 to 5 inchs. They used to install short shaft(15inch) outboards on twin applications such as yours. Dont bother looking for a short shaft 75 horse anymore. Your best plan like you said is a pair of jackplates.

one of the members( rudeattitude) had a pair for sale here while back might give him a bump to see if he still has them. dave.

Comment

I also have a set of 6" setback Hvy Duty Jack Plates (TH's), which were installed to set correct cav depth on my 224, when I purchased a pair of new DF140's in April of 2004.

BUT... since I'm installing an Armstrong, they won't be going back on. If anyone is interested, make me a resonable offer.

OB1
                  Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Welcome Mike. Unfotunately one of the jackplates is sold, so I don't have the set anymore. Sounds to me like the jackplates will do you some good though.
                    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

there is a fixed hight plate available from t/h marine i know of people who have used it to install 25" engines on 20" transoms.you could use that to pick up the height. they're made from aluminum.

Comment

Hey, I'm a new member and also own the '79 19'. The Mako "Gods" must have spoken to us about the same time and brought us to this site. I'm glad they did, I love this site. Talk to ya'll later.
                        Tony C.[br]S. Daytona, FL[br]Boatless...for now[br]

Comment

Hi Tony,

This site is great! Everyone is very knowledgeable and they lack the "in your face" and "what, are you stupid attitude" you get from a lot of forums! The 19 seems to be a great boat just wish it was a little deeper. How does yours run out with the single 150? Have not done a lot to ours yet just some major cleaning-the hull came back impeccable! Elbow grease and a good wheel work wonders on old gel coat (especially when it was thick to begin with)! Keep me up to date as I'm always thinking what to do next.

Mike

Comment

Hey Mike, Boat runs great with the single 150. I know what you mean about the elbow grease, when I first got mine it had about 20 coats of bottom paint on it. After ALOT!!!!! of sanding and scraping I had the whole boat as smooth as glass and then I applied a couple coats of Awlgrip. It really looks good now but I've been kicking around the idea of enclosing the transom for some time. After seeing this site, and the pictures of everyone else enclosing their transom's, I'm going to finally do it. I'll post some pictures when I do. Talk to ya later.
                            Tony C.[br]S. Daytona, FL[br]Boatless...for now[br]

Comment

Working...
                            X