Why are you doing a rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are you doing a rebuild?

I posted this on another boat-rebuilding board, but I wanted to get ya'lls opinion too.

I am sure you have been asked this by friends, Family and others, and I want to know too. Why did you decide that you wanted to re-build?

I have considered a project boat many time, but have not yet bit the bullet. Wife thinks I am Crazy. If I get the chance, I really like the old Mako/Aquasport/Proline style of hull. I have also seen plans on-line for building a very similer boat from the keel up - after seeing some of ya'll re-builds, seems like that may end up being less money and work.

Why are you re-building that old boat?

1. Mako's boats are the greatest boats ever - Rebuilding is the only way to go.

2. Boat was in the family for years, couldn't see getting rid of it, so I am rebuilding

3. Bought the boat thinking it was a cream puff, then found rotten stringers/transom.

4. Got the boat for almost free, and I am convinced that re-building will be cheaper than buying.

5. I don't get the question - the only work my boat needs is a good waxing.

Thanks for you input,

Jerry

Jerry,

I think you will find that most people take on a rebuild to make the boat "work" for them. Factory boats are just what they are...factory. The layout might work for some, but not for all. There are lots of extras these days that people want on their boats that the factory didn't offer when the boat was built or still don't offer today. I think the most common reason for people rebuilding their boat is so that they know that it is a quality job and that they can configure the layout how they feel is best.
    Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

For a comperable well built boat in the 25-30' range.... at least $90k at the bank, normally financed for 10 years at ~6% interest. $999/month = ~$120k. All for a boat your neighbor can go purchase too.

So, for the initial investment ($13k in my case) + money when you have it for mods/upgrades you can have a very nice boat.

I would think most of the guys here enjoy working on projects anyway. Most have motorcycles, planes, cars, and/or many other trinkets they enjoy working on also.

Someone said it best here in another thread and I've seen it stated many times.... "... I did it.... ".

My head was never bigger than when I pulled up to the dock at a fishing tournament the SKA was involved in. There were several $200k boats there and more $120K boats than you can imagine. Impressive!! We arrived at the dock on the last day. My nephew had a fish to weigh for the junior category, but we let all the SKA guys weigh in first as the time was short on weigh in. After they all finished, we pulled in and being the last to arrive were able to occupy one of the weigh stations for the awards ceremony. Sure, people "ewed and ahed" at the $$$ boats, but 'RUDE was definitly a center of attraction. I didn't buy a beer for myself all evening as everyday people would come over and ask how much time and effort it took to get the "Old Mako" that way. For the everyday guy like myself, a little/lot of blood and sweat, some TLC, and help from freinds can produce a very nice boat for a reasonable price. []
      Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

One thing for sure. Saving money is not the reason. We all could save a lot if we had a business licence in boat repair. I've seen the markup between wholesale and retail at the box store's. It's a minum of 40% and as high as 60%

But I have to agree with Rude Attitude here also.[]

Comment

I like customized stuff. Its an ego thing I guess. When people see you at the dock and they say, I've never seen one like that... Who did all that customization? I say... Yours Truly[]
          Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

My reasons are many of the same as above, Love the ride and looks of an old mako and having owned one before know what to expect from one.

I bought mine as a project knowing full well it would take a winter to rebuild her. I can guarantee I will have the only one like her on lake Michigan, I also guarantee there is no way I could have done this job without the help and support of this website and its members!![)] Great topic, looking forward to all the other answers to see what we all have in commen. dave
            [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

i have rehabed boats for customers and the one thing they allways say is it looks better now than it did when it was new.the boats that are worth rehabing are appriciative of the cost involved.example the last project 73 sea craft center console $22,000 in parts and materials this includes a new drive package consisting of mercruiser 350 horizon package which includes the drive and transom assy.this package is covered by the standard 3yr merc warranty.the boat was completely rewired and set up with a 3 battery system the transom was replaced all hard ware including cleats and rod holders were replaced new electronics were also installed{not included in this price}flush into console.hull was gel coted again in the original yellow bottom stripped and barrier coated. delivered complete with a warranty from my shop for 1yr on all repairs basically a new boat!! total cost was around $40,000 incredibly cheap for a new 23 center console-what is comprable to it would be a 24 topaz inboard $90,000 give or take a few dollars.standard warranty 1yr doesn't seem fair huh?? not every boat is worth the effort and $$$$ if a grady white was brought to my shop for a rehab the owner would be turned away-it's not worth it.again there are boats that are worth the time and effort and boats that are not-deal in quality and it will allways be so!!!

Comment

Gotta agree with all of the above and I'll add....

Because I can.[88][88] If I had to pay someone else to do it, I might have to rethink it.
                2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

WHY NOT!!![]
                  Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

quote:

WHY NOT!!!

This stuff is not for everyone.[] Time, place to do it, tool's to do it, skill's to do it.

Comment

I too have to agree with everyone else above. My motives may differ a little but not by much. I have had children for the past 24 years the oldest would have been 24 before He past.The youngest is 3 now. All 6 of my kids have always been with me doing the work on the toys.Race trucks, Boats,motorcycles,camps, duck blinds an what ever was going on at that time of year. We have always done things together as a family. The money that was spent over the years on the toys. would be considerd a drop in the bucket compaired to what we all have. each other. The best toys I've ever had are thows three boys an three girls. It's not my Mako it's our Mako thats the way it is with every thing.
                      Slim[br]Lafayette [br]1973 19-6 Aquasport[br]An a few Makos[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by slim

I too have to agree with everyone else above. My motives may differ a little but not by much. I have had children for the past 24 years the oldest would have been 24 before He past.The youngest is 3 now. All 6 of my kids have always been with me doing the work on the toys.Race trucks, Boats,motorcycles,camps, duck blinds an what ever was going on at that time of year. We have always done things together as a family. The money that was spent over the years on the toys. would be considerd a drop in the bucket compaired to what we all have. each other. The best toys I've ever had are thows three boys an three girls. It's not my Mako it's our Mako thats the way it is with every thing.

That's sweet bro
                        St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

I am doing mine because it was my Father-in-Laws boat and his physical condition got to the point where he could no longer work on it. It was a sad sight seeing her parked in his driveway for two years with no one working on her and I know it was an even sadder day when he dropped her off to me. My motivation is to return his boat back to him in better than new condition. It's still his baby even though it's in my garage and I think it will be his baby until he is no longer with us (Hopefully a long time from now). After that point the boat will again be mine and I figure being out on the water on his boat fishing would be a perfect way to honor his memory.
                          Pensacola, Fl.

Comment

In my oppion, Jawz pretty much hit it on the head. If you look at all of our boats, they are custom fitted for each of us. If you want a custom tailored suit you have to pay for it. I dont think that any of us does this thinking of a return. I personally do this because I have a love for the better mouse trap. Can you imagine the price tag would be if someone wanted all the goodies we put into our boats at a factory price? Anyone can buy a boat, but very few have our beloved Classic Makos.[8~2]

Comment

I had always wanted a Mako from the time I was a little kid. The brand has always had a certian mystique about it. A tough boat with a good rep, and a cool logo to boot!

Knowing that buying a new boat was not an option (just too damn much money for a toy) my first thougth was,"How can I get my hands on an old Mako in good shape?". The best answer I could come up with was to rebuild one.

Once I get her back together I will have a solid boat with a custom layout that is tailored to my fishing style that I did myself. Like the mastercard ad says....priceless.

Oh yeah, I like to work on Stuff too. That helps a bunch.
                              Greenwich, NJ[br]1976 22B

Comment

Working...
                              X