No announcement yet.

Is the Navman Fuel Mgt System Any Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Navman Fuel Mgt System Any Good?

Does anyone have any experience with the new Navman fuel management systems? They have a 2 inch LCD readout gage (that sell for about $150) that would fit into an existing hole on my CC dash. I hate the idea of drilling a new 3+ inch hole for the more expensive Flowscan system if I don't need to. Any comments would be appreciated
    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

I installed one on my previous boat. For the money you can't beat it. Easy installation and very accurate from experience.
    \'89 Mako 250 Cuddy[br]Stratford, CT

Comment

I too have used the navman fuel system although it was part of the gps. It works great. Keeps track of how much your using. its more acurate as a fuel gauge than the factory gauges. You just have to remember to let it know when your adding fuel. dave.
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Hammertime has one. It need's a new tranducer on it right now. I bought the 3100 for my boat. It also uses the 2 1/16in hole, but it is wider on the console. I like BIG numbers. Easier to read for these old tired eye's.[]

Comment

on my own boay i installed the fuel counter up grade to my navman 5500 it works very well.i have installed the counter alone on a few customer's boats and i can tell you that any navman product is very high quality and reliable!!

Comment

I have one for my Navman GPS Chartplotter and 95% of the time I am on the fuel page. As others have stated, for the money you can't beat it and I haven't had any problems with the fuel part of the system.
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Can someone please explain the install on the transducer. I thought I read somewhere that is has to be installed in a vertical position - I could be wrong. I can't think of how I could do that on my rig.
              SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

The instructions call for a vertical mount, fuel flows in the bottom up thru the sender and out the top. They say this is the best way to get a accurate read. dave.
                [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I made a circle in my fuel line and then used large wire ties to secure it to the side and keep it from vibrating. When I get my boat back I will take a picture and post it.

Also, you must use the plastic clamps that come with the sending unit. Do not try and upgrade to metal hose clamps as it will not work correctly.
                  1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                  1985 Mako 20c - sold
                  Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

Thanks guys.

Sailor, I'd like to see that picture if you get a chance.
                    SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

I like mine, accurate to a couple gallons.

Comment

ALL - Great to have this board - Thanks for all the good feedback - Guess there is no problems with this model and it looks like I will buy one for the boat.

Sailor - you said that you must use the plastic clamps that come with the sending unit and should not use metal hose clamps as it will not work correctly. Could you help me understand why this is?? According to what I read (I think it was on their web site) the system inside the transducer uses a small lazer to count the revs of the turbine as it turns from the gas stream flow. Don't see how SS clamps could effect this but I will do what they say to get the best out of the gage.

Mike

Comment

I believe the problem is that the clamps distort the line and thus cause a disturbance. There was a big discussion on the problem over on THT last summer and everyone reported that once they went back to the little plastic push on clamps that came with the unit the problems went away.
                          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                          1985 Mako 20c - sold
                          Fort Walton Beach, FL

Comment

OK. Good and thanks for the heads up as I would have been one of those guys the would have gone directly to the SS clamps without even thinking that I could be creating a problem.

Comment

I am on my 3rd season with mine and am very happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X