drains at the splash well.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drains at the splash well.

I am not sure that the drains in the splashwell are sealed with anything on my boat..... A new transom was installed by the previous owner, but i don't think he sealed the drain holes.....What is the best way to seal these so water doesn't get into the fiberglass and wood of the transom?
    1984 MAKO 254[br]Hartsville, SC

I assume that you have the round brass sleves that drain the splashwell thorugh the transom. First, I would remove the brass drain sleves and dry the wood out (if it's wet). Then put a coat of thined epoxy resin on the exposed wood. Sand this and recoat with the same. Sand again. I then would coat the inside of the drain cutouts (and edges) with lots of 5200, and then reinstall new brass drain sleves in the holes using the proper tool to get the correct flared edges. The 5200 should make a perimanate watertight seal around the edges of the flange and if some water did get by the 5200 the epoxy should stop it from getting directly into the wood. Hope this gives you some ideas -

Mike
    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

try not to thin epoxy-i assume you are refering to west system-if you want it thin just heat the mixture slightly this will thin it also heat the wood you are trying to seal.i try not to use the copper tubes they will fail over time i use pvc pipe cut it long than heat it with a heat gun i use a thru hull tool to flare it out than gently grind it back when everything is dry.to make that 5200 set up quicker spray some water on it this will speed up the process

Comment

Or you can use some git-rot (penetrating epoxy) for your first coats of epoxy. Its super thin and takes a while to cure so it will really soak into the end-grain.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

how bout aluminum conduit?? i have plenty and i thought that may be a decent substitution for an insert.

Comment

I wouldn't use aluminum conduit. 1st there are a bunch of diffrnt grades of aluminum. Aluminum conduit I'm sure would be a Cheap grade.

I've used a bunch of Gray PVC EMT. If sun ever got to it, it has UV inhibetors. Sun will never get to mine as it's burried deep in fiberglass. It will never rust or corroide.

Comment

my transom is rebuilt and is thicker than the length of the standard brass inserts.

Comment

All good comments and I like the get rot idea better that the epoxy for the first coats and heating the epoxy for the others. I never have had any troubles with the brass tubes but if I need to change them I would certinally go to a pvc unit as it won't rot or corode.
                1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Working...
                X