Pix of Mako To Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pix of Mako To Go

I've posted here on a number of ocassions and lurked a lot, but realized I have never posted any pictures of my classic Mako. So here are two shots taken on December 21, 2004, the day before I took her out of the water for the season. She's in her slip on the Manasquan River in New Jersey and, as you can see, there is only one other boat in the marina so I guess I qualify as hard core. The temperature fell into the teens that night and I had to play icebreaker to get here out of the marina so I could pull her the next morning.

She's a '89 231 and I have owned her since the day the baby left the factory. Over the years she has been customized and modified and probably had more new engines on her than any other boat her age. Ten so far and with the one this spring it will be eleven.

Some obvious changes are the lack of teak, all replaced with Starboard, mostly black. The console has a homemade set of White Starboard draws and the C-Paks were removed years ago and all electronics have been flush mounted ever since. Most recent unit is a wide-screen color LCD chartplotter/Fish Finder (Lowrance LCX104) along with a FloScan and stereo. The instrument panel is new and filled with all new SmartCraft Gauges from Mercury, a project I did for Trailerboats Magazine last year. The deck is grey Awlgrip with non-slip grit and there are a pair of splash panels I put on the boat years ago made from Starboard. The fuel cell was replaced three years ago and she got a transom job last winter.

The console arch is my design. I didn't want a T-Top since I like the sun when we get it up here and also wanted the boat wide open for plugging and fly fishing. The arch also holds a pair of removable 18' Lee outriggers and a 12' center rigger, four rod holders, front and rear spread light and all the antennas. The low, split, heavy duty rails were added when I had the top built about ten years ago.

So welcome the Mako To Go to the Classicmako.com family.

[br]Mako To Go, Brick, NJ [br]1989 Mako 231 CC[br]250 Optimax[br]

Nice ride... What are the running specs with the Opti? You know top speed, cruise fuel consumption, etc.,?
    [br]Reel Funny Charters[br]Nokomis, FL

Comment

Top speed is about 43 mph at 5500. Cruise is comfortable at 4400 rpm which give me 35 mph at 16 gph which is just under 2.2 miles per gallon. Plenty of range with the 155 gallon fuel cell. Have actually had her to the Hudson Canyon, tip about 78 miles off Manasquan Inlet, on a number of ocassions chasing tuna. Just wouldn't want to get caught out there in any kind of weather. 23 feet gets awfully small that far offshore!

Comment

Great looking boat and I can tell she's loved.

One question: How did you lay the black starboard trim around the side storage in the gunnels? what thickness of starboard, shape, etc.. That's kinda what I had planned but can't come up with any descent ideas.
        Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

That is a sweet ride!

I can't believe you are able to fish the Hud with her, that's great.

Once I get mine to where I am comfortable with it, I would like to fish some of the tuna spots off of Montauk.
          1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

That's a fine looking vessel. Any close ups I could see on the Center Cosole Arch? That's great idea. Nice Rig.

SB
            Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by RudeAttitude

One question: How did you lay the black starboard trim around the side storage in the gunnels? what thickness of starboard, shape, etc..

Same question. And/or, who did you use to do the job? Any idea of cost? My boat is on Long Island, so not that far away. Thanks -
              NYC & L.I. - 1974 \"Classic\" Mako 20\' - Suzuki 2006 DF150 - Fly & Light Tackle, C&R[br]My boat: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23444#159594[br]Personal website: http://www.georgemcauliffe.com/

Comment

What kind of power are you going with next?
                Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I am currently replacing all the teak with Gray Starboard from King. I bought a sheet (54"x96")of 1/2 inch. For around the gunnels, the oval shape came off in one peice. I laid each on the sheet and traced around them and cut them oversize with a circular saw. Next i double stick taped and clamped the teak to the oversize cutouts and ran a flush trim router bit so the bearing was on the teak and trimmed the starboard to match the teak exactly. For the narrow and thin teak strips on the front and back hatches, I cut stips that were the same length and ripped them down to 1/4 on a table saw. The only thing I have noticed is the oval cutouts of starboard are a little flimsy, but once it's attached i don't think it'll crack or anything. The stuff is flexible.
                  Danny Facciola[br]1987 231 Suzuki 225[br]Edgewater, MD

Comment

A new motor every 16/17 months on average? Do tell your secret or problems!
                    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                    1985 Mako 20c - sold
                    Fort Walton Beach, FL
                    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Wow, questions, questions, questions, but that's what this site is all about and I've gotten plenty of answers to mine.

The console arch was fabricated by my friend, Pat Karwin at

Tower Power

(732) 864-1200

120 Kettle Creek Rd

Toms River, NJ 08753

It was a unique design that, to my knowledge, was never copied. He built it specifically for my console, but it could be easily done for another. Cost with the new rails was a couple grand and repayment for a few favors. That was back in '95, I think, so it was probably less expensive to pull off, too. That didn't include the cost of the riggers.

At the moment, I do not have any digital close ups of the top, but could probably take a few if it stops raining tomorrow and I don't get in my truck and drive to Hatteras for stripers and yellowfin tuna. I'll get back to you on that one.

You might notice that the trim around the hatch lids at the transom is not black Starboard. Ditto the trim around the hatch lids in the bow. Those were purchased from Mako when they went from teak to some kind of plastic replacements. Those are the only things I did not do myself. All the other trim (under the console; the gunwale rod racks; scuff pads, and console draw set) were homemade of starboard. The inserts in the console that I used for flush-mounting the electronics were also homemade from 1/4" Starboard. I also put black sheet rubber on the top of the console and added a Starboard lip so stuff doesn't roll of. The rubber serves two purposes. It greatly reduces glare of the top of the console and tends to keep stuff up there from sliding around too much. I just touch it up with Formula 2000 from time to time and it stays looking like new.

Ahhh, the engines. Or should I say he he he, to quote Warthog. The boat was delivered directly from the factory, where I purchased it from an aquaintance by the name of Brett Schwebke, son of the originator of Mako Marine, with a 1989 225 hp. Yamaha. I ran that one for four seasons, piling up 1600 problem free hours before I sold it to a friend who put it on a 1970-something 23 modified vee Mako. It was still running, but looking very ratty, last time I saw it four years ago. Then I struck up a friendship with the folks at Mercury Marine, who kindly put me on their Saltwater Pro Team, which comes with a new motor each season. I run it from the time it goes in the water in the spring until it comes out in the late fall and either I sell it or my local dealer does. It rarely has more than 200 to 250 hours on it at this stage, so it's a like-new demo upon resale and it costs about $4000 less than a new one to the lucky person who gets it. I started out running EFI's, which were decent motors. Fast, but gas hogs. Then the last five have been Optimax, which are just as fast and burn about 35% less fuel over the course of a season than the EFI's did. They have been very dependable and a number of my friends are running my "sloppy second" motors and they have been bullet proof. Even my friend who bought my first Opti is still going strong.

As for running the Hudson, each trip was with an impecable weather forecast. Like I said, 23' gets awfully small that far offshore, but it was a hoot each time we were able to do it. Here's one for you. The first trip I made to the Hudson was with the first Optimax I put on the boat. At the furthest point we were just over 100-miles almost due east of the inlet. We were trolling whenever we weren't running so the engine was never off. By mid afternoon we had trolled back to the Tip, which laid 78 miles from the inlet. I punched in the numbers for home, pushed it up to 36 mph, turned on the autopilot (I had one on the boat for a few years) and was home in less than two hours. We had tanked up before we left and I filled up when we got back in and the boat took 78 gallons of gas!!! I have no idea how many miles we covered total, but the fuel consumption rate was spectacular. That initial Optimax was the most fuel friendly outboard I've ever owned.

Next power will be another 225 Opti. The Verado is too heavy for the transom of the 231, another 100 pounds. When I did the tansom last year I added a pair of flapper scuppers in the splash well to help with the draining, but any more weight and they will be underwater most of the time.

That about does it, I guess. If you have more questions, fire away. I'll try and get more pictures now that I have a new digital camera.

Comment

Seems to me I've seen that boat somewhere before. By the way dis you know your successor is leaving BGFJ at the beginning of the month.
                        Capt. Vic[br]Six O Stretch 261CC T200 Js[br]Glimmer Glass/ Manasquan/ Milltown, NJ[br]<i></i>

Comment

Working...
                        X