steering options help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering options help

Can someone talk me through steering kit options? I would like to install a hydrolic system but with all the other projects going on it is just to much $. I had an old rotary style helm kit on a 200 hp outboard and could not believe how hard it was to steer it. I have removed the motor, to be replaced with a newer 225 probably Yamaha. Can anyone tell me if the no feed back dual cable systems from teleflex are the way to go. Or will the no feed back single system work well. Also what all is needed on the motor end to complete the install. I am hoping the dual cable system will give me a responsive system that anyone can drive (children). With the old system there is no way I could have taught them to drive the boat(only in straight shots). Thanks guys
    1983 21b[br]Waveland,MS

When I was faced with this same delima I went to the teleflex website and there was a ton of info. to help us do-it-ourself type.

Any chance your old cable for the 225 just needed replaced? They stear hard for quite a while before they fail. dave.
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Dave,

What did you decide to go with? The old one probably was about ready to fail, but since I have the console off and replacing motor, cables, etc. I wanted a new system.

Thanks
      1983 21b[br]Waveland,MS

Comment

I went with a used morse helm controll off of a 1978 slickcraft with a mercruiser, (honest) in the past I have used the teleflex no feed back system. ya want to measure your old cable carefully to come up with the replacement size. I personally like the rotery helms better as they have less steering feedback. Do you have any wholesale boat part places neer you??
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

jcthornhill After you do what michigan dave said on the hyd steering.

Give Surplus Unlimited a call. I had 4 diffrent quotes out for bid on my hyd steering. Even with paying Fl sales tax, Surplus Unlimited beat them all.

613 W. International Speedway Blvd.

Daytona Beach, FL 32114

Call (386) 252-5019 * 1-800-842-5403 * Fax (386) 254-4833

Comment

I do have a wholesale dealer near hear. My problem or concern is this - I am closing the transom, adding a bracket and the 30" offset will certainly increase the cable lenght need. Maybe my system was about to go, because when going around a curve in the bayou or just turning the motor period, it was a two armed - pulling with all you got event-that could not have been right.
            1983 21b[br]Waveland,MS

Comment

warthog,

I have the quotes from surplus, but I still do not know exactly what I need, lenght of cable, do I need a tilting helm kit. Is it better for me to have the front mount rack under the console or the other unit?

hydrolic about $750-$800

dual nfb about $325
              1983 21b[br]Waveland,MS

Comment

JC

remember that the mechanical steering cable is not very flexible. How are you going to connect it to the engine with the full transom?

I had a Teleflex NFB steering on my 20 w/225 rude, and the no feedback mechanism worked only a little over a year. After that it was back to the ol' steering torque.
                Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

I'm not sure how I'm going to do it or if it can even be done. I was thinking the cables could travel straight through the transom but maybe they can't. Do'nt know I'll have to wait fom some words from some people with experience, like yourself.
                  1983 21b[br]Waveland,MS

Comment

I have hydraulic... Seastar. I had 16' hoses previously, but with the bracket, I'll need 18' or 20'. I really can't remember how much , but I believe there was a good bit of slack onthe hoses, so 18' hoses will probably be what I need.

If I were you, I'd treat myself to hydraulic steering. Its a must on these heavy hulls with big power.

Seastar is probably the most common and as far as I'm concerned, the best.

You really don't need tilt steering onthe helm. Its only really good for hemls that are mounted on a more verticle surface than horizontal.

Gonna hit the sack. 5:30 comes early and its gonna be mucho froggy for the morning drive.
                    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

JC,

If you keep looking around you will probably find a good used hydralic system. The parts market is becoming rich with goodies after the huricanes. Ill look around down here. There is a place I buy alot of stuff from called The Marine Trading post and the owner is my buddy. If you give him a call tell him I recomended you. 239-793 5800. For that matter you guys in the Ft Myers area, there is there other store on old 41. Lots of good used stuff too.

Comment

Another vote for hydraulic steering.

I would find a place to save money somewhere else.

There is nothing like being able to steer with just your fingers.
                        1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

My vote is for hydraulic also. You won't be sorry.
                          [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

it is like taking a shower with out changing your clothes!! get the hydraulic steering read a post i put up about paint on the bracket there is some info for steering on there.it tells about another cause of hard steering that most novices overlook

Comment

I've had the NFB for years and I sware my right arm is bigger than my left because of it. I upgraded to SeaStar Hyd steering about 2 years ago. Even to this day (well not currently since she's in pieces), every time I drive my boat I have a grin from ear to ear. Hyd. steering makes boating sooooo much more enjoyable.
                              Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X