X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shaft bearing 23' inboard

need some info on removing and instaling shaft beaRING. this is 1 1/4 shaft
    cinnaminson new jersey 23\' Mako Iboard

here's the easy wayull the prop than unbolt the strut from inside the hull tap the bolts thru drop the strut you will have to use a stiff paint scraper as a wedge just be careful not to do too much damage;at this point slide the strut back and off the shaft-support the shaft with blocks to hlod it than put the strut in a vise there are 2 set screws holding the strut bearing in place remove them than use a long sawzall bled in the sawzall cut the bearing thru be careful if you clean the edge of the srtut you can see where the srtut bearing ends than pop it out with a punch ptu the new bearing in the freezer to cool it heat the strut with a heat gun than pop the bearing in place-where the set screws are dimple them with a drill bit ever so slight this will provide an area for the screws to grab the bearing-reinstall the strut don't use 5200 sealer use 4200 or life caulk if you damaged the bolts make sure you replace them with silicon bronze don't use stainless steel it wil cause galvanic corrosion - job done should take about 2-3 hrs-that's my labor charge for this job.the bearing is about $35

Comment

jaws thank you so much for that info. i will let you know how it go's. my only consern is the alignment of the strut. i would assume it will go back in same footprint.
      cinnaminson new jersey 23\' Mako Iboard

Comment

i have never had an alignment problem after doing it this way. i put a post on how to perform an engine alignment.and how to check for alignment as well as proper way to install the prop check it out if you haven't allready you will pick up alot of knowledge on

Comment

Working...
        X