paint for 84 hull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint for 84 hull

i am in the process of refurbishing my 254. I am doing most of the repair work myself. I am filling holes, sanding scratches, etc. I am not looking for a showroom boat, but I do want to get and keep her nice and fishable.

What is the process that I need to undertake for painting? I think I am going to use Imron. A friend of mine owns an auto paint shop and we are going to spray it there. The boat hull has been painted previously.

I think I am going to spray the deck as well. Will the same Imron paint be sufficient for that too?

How about below the waterline? I want to try to avoid bottom paint if at all possible. I keep the boat on the trailer. Is there a paint for below the waterline that I could roll on once I get a chance. It has no bottom paint now.

I have never had to "fix up" a boat so excuse some of my noveice questions. I have learned a lot, but have a lot to learn as well.

thanks
    1984 MAKO 254[br]Hartsville, SC

Bad Habit, Imron(generic or the real thing) is what I use for all my paint work topside,and below waterline. I trailer my boats also.

You can ad a non-scid additive to help on the deck. I am glad you have a buddy in the auto-repair buisness as his advice and knowledge will go a long way. I think many of us use a epoxy (2part) primer to seal the fiberglass or prevous finish. lets see some pics,

you can look at my "project 21 started" thred to see how I am going about it. I am shooting color tonight. dave
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

The first thing you need to do is figure out what type of paint the hull was painted with before. If it was a one part paint you probably cannot imron or awlgrip over top of it without sanding all the way back to bare gellcoat.

Comment

For bottom paint, I'm going with Interlux VC performance epoxy w/Teflon. They clain it'll make the boat go fast !!! [] I trailer mine, so I don't need antifouling. I'm spraying over Gelcoat, so no paint to remove.

Mako 224 is right about some paint not being able to go over others. Make sure you check the manufacturers specs before buying. I have read enough for 2 brain overloads concerning this and still have to refer to the specs. I wish there was a table listing "YES/NO" for this, but I haven't found it yet. I'm no expert, so I hope one of the real gurus here will chime in and throw out the "bible of overcoating".. [:x)]

Pictures.... we need pictures... []
        Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

yep this paint this is making me dizzy already. Not to mention the other things I have to do with the boat. I do know that the previous owner sprayed the hull with an automotive paint. I am not sure what kind though. I have to talk with him about something else so I will ask him when I talk with him.

Is it true that if you paint the hull with Imron or Awlgrip, you cannot leave it in the water for long without the possibility of blistering the paint? I keep it on the trailer but I plan on spending a week in the outer banks this spring with the boat tied to my doorstep. That should be nice!

I have nonskid already on the deck. What kind of paint prep will I need to do for the hull, deck, etc.? Do I have to totally sand it all, or can I sand out the dings, etc. and then prime and paint?

Rude....that teflon bottom paint sounds slick. I don't know if I should go that route.....hell.....I don't know what route to go. I am not too close to the coast, so there are not a lot of knowledgeable people around the house that know the right way to treat watercraft..........unless you call "just buying one new" the best answer .......Sometimes I wish I had that option, but after it is all said and done, the work I put into "Bad Habit" will make it MY boat. (in more ways than one.) If it doesn't kill me first.

Comment

I will try and get some pics this week or weekend.....whenever I get a chance or the sun comes out.

the tuna better watch out!!

/

/

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!! >\{*> j

Comment

anyone with any other ideas?

Comment

If you have a bare bottom on your boat now it is the BEST time to put on a barrier coat to protect the bottom from blisters and delamination. This specially if you have one of the newer boats that were not made as well as the gel coat is on the older models. From everything I am reading now, there would be no way I would put a new boat in the water (fresh or salt) without this coating. West System makes one and I believe some of the paint companys do also. If I was doing it on my boat I think I would go with the West System. Hope this helps-

Mike
                1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

i think i am going to paint the bottom with the vc performance teflon....paint the hull with imron.....and gel coat the deck.

we shall see!

Comment

Another comment about a barrier coat - If you haven't already, do some reading about why it is now recommended to use one on all boats.

Mike
                    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Interlux Barrier coat link. A good read.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa//boat_...ss/protect.pdf
                      Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Working...
                      X