No announcement yet.

My New Flounder Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just found over in the hidden spot that Hose #7 connects to #2[gas Filter] was never hooked back up to #3 [MAP sensor]

http://store.brownspoint.com/df70/fig032-709807.asp

Comment

• Changing oil.....It did look diluted down and smelled like gas.

Comment

• quote:

Originally posted by warthog5

I just found over in the hidden spot that Hose #7 connects to #2[gas Filter] was never hooked back up to #3 [MAP sensor]

http://store.brownspoint.com/df70/fig032-709807.asp

I believe you have TWO distinct and separate issues here...

The first is IMHO, the MAP sensor hose not being plugged onto the intake manifold, which will certainly cause false readings as to fuel pressures and time the injectors are help open "over-richening" the mixture.
        Background:

If the MAP reads essentially zero pressure (ie no negative pressure or vacuum as it should measure during idle), the ECM is getting information that the engine is at or very near WOT, and will essentially give it a "pump-shot" to richen the fuel mixture to as much as it can handle. Not much different than when a power-valve in a carb breaks the diaphragm...

I have not seen a schematic of the routing for hose #7, but I'd be willing to bet a steak dinner that the end NOT connected to the MAP sensor is NOT supposed to be connected to the fuel or gas filter, but to the intake manifold instead...[]

IMHO, the #2 or second prpblem is the level of fuel getting into the oil...

I suspect the low pressure fuel pump which supplies the high pressure fuel bowl, (which BTW has a DIRECT opening to the crankcase) has an issue with the diaphragm. (item #2 in link). Most likely has a hole in it.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Su...UMP/parts.html
        Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

• quote:

but to the intake manifold instead...

OK They just call is a "Gas Filter" But it's screwed into the intake manifold.

Here is where it was disconnected. This is the MAP senser.

Anyway. The rich condition seems to be straightening itself out.

It's now idling a little high...1200RPM. Going to stick another new set of plugs in it. I'll let you know.

Comment

• Gotcha on the gas filter... Must be some sort of spark arrestor device to meet NMMA/CG rulings intended to keep flammable vapors out of contact with a possible ignition source...[}]

I do indeed suspect once the MAP is hooked up and it's given an hour or so run time for the ECM to re-set, it will not only run better, but the idle richness and idle speeds will return to "normal".

Comment

• 10-4....I picked up a compression gage while I got the new plugs.

Running

1= 190

2 = 190

3 = 195

4 = 195

Spec says 185PSI to 228PSI

I did notice that the plugs I just pulled were a little gas fouled, but you could see where they were trying to clean themselves up.

Comment

• Correction on the idle RPM.

When it starts it goes to 2000, then about 30 to 45sec later it goes to 1800.

Throttle Butterfly is all the way closed.

Comment

• Wart take some plug pics for us.

Comment

• Here is the fist set I pulled out. I left the pix bigger so you could see them better.

Comment

• quote:

Originally posted by warthog5

Correction on the idle RPM.

When it starts it goes to 2000, then about 30 to 45sec later it goes to 1800.

Throttle Butterfly is all the way closed.

Try disconnecting the battery from the motor for 5-10 minutes to see if the ECM will re-set itself...

Comment

• Wow! That thing has to be dumping codes with plugs like that.

Comment

• Granted my education is limited but those plugs look way dark. Glad to hear the decks are bloody and she can catch (clears throat) spear the better choice of white meat. So I take it this is no comparison to the Scout? I like her![)]

Comment

• I have the whole deal figured out now.[]

It's not fixed yet.....waiting on a $1.17 jamb nut. Supposed to be here on Thursday.

The hose off the MAP sensor fixed the rich condition when hooked up. Then the motor was running at that high idle. Looking in the throttle body the butterfly looked closed and I even disconnected the linkage to make sure there was no other movement.

With the motor running at a higher RPM I through there was a vacuum leak. This was due to the routing of some hoses. I have the factory manual, but boy.....it leaves a lot to be desired. I messed with it till I was blue in the face and then called in a favor.

The same guy that did my lettering use to work at the Suzzy dealer and he in fact did the warranty work on my Mako when there was a problem.

I had the hose routing correct.

I have to wait till Thursday until I get a special nut. Suzuki calls it a gasket, but on the dealers sheet it lists a thread size 12.2 X21] It's a Jamb nut that locks the TPS [Throttle Position sender] in place. The nut was never there and it got screwed around trying to get the wire unplugged from it. It was holding the throttle open, even through it looked like it was closed.

So...With the correct adjustment the throttle will come down to normal

There is also a adjustment at the IAC [Idle Air Control] to get it really dialed in.

Comment

• Does this application need the TPS voltage set? I was in the Mustang world for a good while--common prob with a surging idle.

Comment

• Not sure how you would do that on this? It's just controlled by the ECM.

One other thing to note is that, Posner Marine a Suzzy dealer has never stocked or sold one of the TPS's for this size motor.

We just wanted to look at a new one. That tells me that they don't go bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X