231 Damage Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 231 Damage Photos

These are pictures of a 1989 231 - apparently the hull did some serious flexing and a large piece of the gelcoat just popped off. Personally, I haven't seen damage like this before and I was wondering if any of you think this indicates other structural problems and/or are problems associated with a later dated mako (vs. a mid-80s or a late 70s). Any repair associated repait issues I should be aware of as well? Thanks for any help!

Something is seriously wrong with this picture! This hull didnt impact anything and this damage was created by stress? If I was a betting man, I would say that this hull had a repair in the starboard side before you owned the boat. If you bought this boat new, I would raise 10 diferant kinds of hell with Mako. Keep us posted, this is very interesting. Gary

Comment

Aren't stress fractures usually along the axis of strength? Rather, shouldnt a stress fracture in that area lead fore-and-aft? Spider cracks along the gunnels are common on older makos, but they don't go across, they go front-to-back.

That boat hit something.
      \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

To be honest, I have not bought it yet - but, the guy is willing to sell it for the cost of the engine (which a buddy of mine want's to buy) and i'm looking for a project boat. The guy claims it happened after they ran 20-30 miles in rough seas, pounding the crap out of it.

But back to the damage - is this something a good surveyor would be able to comment on or is this the type of questionable damage that should prevent me from taking it on as a project?

Comment

Yes Dr. Mubinski, I think your right. This boat was hit. If I didnt know better I would say this is a classic case of Cornercleavageitis. This condition ususaly effects healthy Mako owners. While showing your lovely first mate how well their boat will corner, the first mates breasts are cornering too. Operator has no idea thar he just hit a marker[88][88] and has this undesirable urge to show his first mate his tackle. Seen it hundred times. I dont think there is a cure.

Comment

[88][88][88] I think this boat would have to go under the

"Watermellon Test" to really know what's going on inside.[]

Comment

For those who dont know.... Bobby's "watermellon test" refers to opening up the inside of the boat such as you would open up a watermellon with a 12 inch fillet knife [] and take a look inside. I just dont see how the boat could flex that far forward but what the heck do I know... I'm just a veterinarian []

strick
              Oakley, California

Comment

I'm not going to say it can't be repaired because just about anything can be, however, I would not trust that hull once repaired to get me back from offshore. RUN!!!!!

Comment

Looks to me like it fell, rather than hit something while being run.
                  St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

I think Chasmo is right. Low-speed, straight-up impact. Careless forklift driver or Close Encounter of the Rock Kind?
                    \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mubikS

I think Chasmo is right. Low-speed, straight-up impact. Careless forklift driver or Close Encounter of the Rock Kind?

I was thinking forklift too. That or a davit adventure that went awry.
                      St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

Working...
                      X