Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 238 cabin drain

Hi,I am a Mako 238 W/A owner from Liverpool UK

In the cabin there is what I assume to be a drain with a black screw type plug(I assume this is a drain to the bilge).However water does not drain through it.When I put my finger inside,it feels like silicone blocking the whole.

Am i right in thinking that this silicone should not be there and it should just be a hole to a drain tube that empties into the bilge.Maybe someone has filled the hole up with silicone to block it for some reason.

Do you guys have any ideas,If it is a drain i would like to make sure it is unplugged.

Many thanks

Capt: depending on the year you are correct, a friend with a 238 1986 version plugged his cabin drain, as the discharge tube was so low in the bilge that when slowing off plane or at anchor, any water over about 2" deep in the rear builge, would bubble back up that skupper and was a constant pain for cleaning. that was just his boat! There were a few variations to the plumbing so be careful as to snaking it clear if thats your intention. be out of the water, well ventilated, and visual inspect all you can.

If you can live with a sponge clean up you may want to keep it sealed.

Good luck

Jim
    June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

Thanks Manasotamako,I may leave it as it is for now,and take a closer look when i get it out of the water for antifouling.

Comment

I have a Mako 260 and I have a forward sump with a small pump in it that pumps out any water in the cabin. My cabin is not connected to the Bilge in any way.
        1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

my '78 232 cuddy is exactly as you described. a drain from the cuddy to the bildge. I constantly had water from my bildge drain back into my cuddy, getting anything on the floor soakin wet. I used a compresion plug to block the hole at the bottom of the floor with some success but eventually the entire drain plugged itself from stuff in the bilge going up the tube and getting lodged so it wouldn't drain very well anymore. It's a PVC pipe that runs under the gas tank and I used a garden hose with a strong stream from a spray head to unplug it.
          Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I also have a 238, that drain on mine does exactly what the guy's replied to you , mine its free and drains to the bilge but I am going to plug it because water does show up in the cabin sometimes, how does your drains the forward anchor compartment I just wrote in the forum about this issue to see if someone can help....thank's...jim.

Comment

Working...
            X