mako 224 t-top install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mako 224 t-top install

Looking for advice on installing a t-top on a 83 mako 224 center console. Could it be installed on the console itself so that it still tilts back? Or would it need to be mounted to the deck and/or side rails? any advice would be appreciated thanx greenno

This is the way the Tower Power hard T-Top is mounted on my 83' 224. Fore legs mounted to sides of console...aft legs to deck...and front angle braces attached to top of console. Due to the way the console is hinged, there is still a little sway in the Top. I will probably have to seal the joint between the 2 console halves eventually to make it more rigid. I know It's a pain to have to crawl thru the forward seat to acces the rigging, but I would definitely keep at least 2 legs on the deck, maybe even all 4. There are also 2 angle braces mounted on the rear face of the console down near the deck to help stiffen the console. These interfere with the rear access hatch to the console, but you can get it off. You may want to keep all the mounts off of the console. A one piece console would probably be more substantial to mount to.

Hope this helps...

Warren
    1983 Mako 224[br]Onancock, Va.

Comment

Greeno-

My bluewater towers t-top is mounted to the console on my Mako 231. It is still rock solid after 13 years. I like this setup for two reasons....nothing to bang your bare feet on when walking next to the console and no additional holes in the floor.

The only thing you need to make sure is that all of the bolts holding the console to the floor are secured tightly and caulked/epoxied properly.

On some of the larger older Makos ( Mako 261)....Mako added some additional aluminum bracing inside the console so that when the t-top is bolted to the console...it can also support a crows nest.

-Ed-

Ed

Comment

Fishbait, ED thanks for the info and advice I will take heed. I'm thinking about having the top made out of aluminum and mount it directly to the console itself.Will talk to the builder and work it out together to fill my needs, Thanx again greenno

Comment

Greenno/Ed

Just another word of warning. Ed's console is one piece from the floor up to the console top, whereas on the 224 the top section of the console is seperate from the bottom half. I have a lot of gelcoat chipping at the rear of this joint. I have to assume that it is from the two console sections being stressed in different directions.

By having the legs mounted to the lower console section and deck, and the lateral (side to side) diagonal braces mounted to the top section of the console, you are mounted to two sections that try to move independently. When a lateral force is applied to the assembly, the diagonal supports put a lot of stress sideways on the upper console section. This is where I am seeing the grinding and chipping taking place.

If the diagonal braces were welded to a cross member of the structure and not the top of the console, it would eliminate this stress on the upper console halve. I hate to see that tubing running across the front of the console, but in this case it would be better. You may be able to run horizontal tubing across just above the windshield and have your lateral braces mount to that member.(as seen on many T-Tops)

Again you may want to permanently join the two console halves together. This would allow you to eliminate the cross member just mentioned and mount the lateral braces to the console top as in my photo and as on Ed's boat. I plan on derigging mine at the end of this season and permanently joining the console halves. You are not going to be able to lift open the top section either way.

Just didn't want to see apples compared to oranges. Hope this helps.

Comment

Fishbait, thanx for the info it's nice talking to someone whose already been there. I REALLY would like to keep the console tilting back, has anyone installed a t-top on the side deck (like a radar arch) and be totally free from the console. sorry if I sound niave but I've had sailboats most of my life and the concept of going faster than 8kts has me asking alot of questions.Maybe I will permanently seal the console and buy a headlight for spelunking inside the console, not sure . Going to talk to the (possible) installer next week on options. The White seabass are going to show up in the next couple of months and I've got to be dialed in, THANX Greenno

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fishbait

This is the way the Tower Power hard T-Top is mounted on my 83' 224. Fore legs mounted to sides of console...aft legs to deck...and front angle braces attached to top of console. Due to the way the console is hinged, there is still a little sway in the Top. I will probably have to seal the joint between the 2 console halves eventually to make it more rigid. I know It's a pain to have to crawl thru the forward seat to acces the rigging, but I would definitely keep at least 2 legs on the deck, maybe even all 4. There are also 2 angle braces mounted on the rear face of the console down near the deck to help stiffen the console. These interfere with the rear access hatch to the console, but you can get it off. You may want to keep all the mounts off of the console. A one piece console would probably be more substantial to mount to.

Hope this helps...

Warren

Bob

Comment

Where did you get the leaning post. Who owns the Verity in the background?
                Bob

Comment

my console is being glassed together right now,due to the t-top.not only did i have glass coming apart in the rear of the console but where the front legs mount it was crackin the glass and breaking bolts the lower part of the console is hallow but is now beig sturdy'd up thats alot of wieght up there getting slung around when underway
                  Gulfport,MS

Comment

greenno - If you installed a t-top on the side deck (like a radar arch) it may be totally free from the console BUT if you a fisherman you cannot walk around the boat with a fish on. Something to think about.
                    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Mudshark...The boat was at Beatons on Mantoloking Rd. NJ when these photos were taken. Not familiar with the boat in the background. The Leaning post was on her when I bought her. If I run across the manuf. I'll post it.

Cranko....please post some pics of how they are reinforcing your CC when you can. I would appreciate it prior to me doing the same.

Thx,

Warren

Comment

Greenno,

I was at the Ocean City Boat show last friday. I was talking to the boys from Mears Va. who make outstanding T-tops about our situation with the 2 piece consoles. Two things came up...one was that they form a section of tubing in an arch at the top on the front section. This gives lateral support without having the angle braces coming down to the top of the console. Really looks sharp too. The second option is building the uprights with joints in them so that the top can be taken off without removing the mounts. I believe they called these knock offs. These two options may help in leaving the console so that it can be opened from the top. These guys build the best looking T-Top I've ever seen. They use a lot of eliptical tubing and really do pretty welding and canvas work.

Standard Welding and Marine e-mail www.standardmarine.net phone 757-824-0293 Mears Va. on The Eastern Shore of Va.

Comment

FISHBAIT, I talked to the t-top guy on 2-19 and told him my preference of keeping the console able to tilt back. after bringing the boat over to him to measure here is what were going to do.You talked about in your last post a arch in the front section to distribute the load. also the 4 legs will be secured to the deck with brackets on the lower section and REMOVABLE fittings mounted to the top on the front corners just below the glass. All oversize tubing. I saw his shop and set up and the guy is on it. He brought up these ideas when he saw the boat and I read them on your post after. when I get it done the week around 3-8 I'll post some pics and some more info. Im pumped, Greenno

Comment

Congrats bud....I know you're excited. Can't wait to see the pics.

Comment

Working...
                            X