Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 261

Hey Guys:

A friend of mine just turned me onto this site. What fantastic info for mako owners! Quick question: I am looking at a 1990 261 CC that has been repowered with 2001 yamaha HPDI's. I've done a search but can't find any info on this boat with these engines. Anyone have this setup (or similar) and if so would appreciate thoughts on weight, how boat sits in water, cruising speed, top speed, economy, how boat handles, etc. Also, any thoughts on life expectancy of fuel tank in these boats? Thanks for any help. Cheers, Laz Dog

I know a guy here locally that has a 261 (not sure what year, but pre-90s I'm sure) with twin yam 200 HPDIs and that boat is a beast. Very good ride and good fishing machine. He went through a few prop issues but ended up with 4 bladed 15x19 I beleive for best results. It's a heavier boat but a great hull... I WANT ONE!!! [][:x)][:x)] Actually I want a 70-80s 28'CC, so if you hear about one don't tell Ringleader... email me directly ... [:x)][:x)] hahahaha J/K Ed..

This is a great site with excellent info and people.

Good luck.
    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Excellent boat. Sounds like you are looking at that Tuppen's special boat thats for sale in Palm Beach. Am I correct? I try to keep tabs on all the 261's that are on the market. One day things will be right and I'll get the go-ahead to snatch one for myself.

You need to talk to Geoff von der Linden (Makorider), Pete Hysni (PeteH), and Capt. Vic. They all have that hull and love it. Pete and Geoff have yamahas, but not HPDI. Shouldn't make a difference though on that hull.

Yes, I'd like to have one for myself one day.
      Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Ringleader - did you see the 261 I posted in the classifieds?
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I did now... I sure wish I could get that one. The wife would kill me or maybe worse if I even entertained the idea.

Thanks though.[]

Comment

Laz,

Ring is right on. My father and I have a '90 261 Tuppens 'Tournament Edition'...still have yet to figure out what that means, but whatever.

We still have the original '90 Yam 200 carbed horses hanging on her. We turn 17P stillettos, 3 blades, which gives us a cruise of 29.5 knots at 4000rpm. That gives us about 1.5 nmpg. Wide open we probably get about 50mph. While they run well, they are old and I really wonder how much power they're actually putting out, those HPDIs should do much better as far as both power and economy, particularly at slower speeds like trolling where the carbs eat us alive.

As far as how she sits....full of fuel, and a full livewell, she starts to sit low where water is just lapping in the scuppers. I dont know how much those HPDIs weigh, but I know a couple of guys in our club repowered with fichts and had very real issues with regards to scuppers being under water...Vic may be able to shed more specific light on that.

Fuel tanks...ours is still original. Havn't and wont pull the lid untill I have to. The tank in our '73 17 made it to 1992 before it needed replacing, so I'm hoping I still have some time left.

All in all, its a kick ass boat. Ride is excellent for the size, particularly when full of fuel. It does everything we want and more, I've even had it out to the canyons a few times up here, we're talking a run of 78nm just to get to the tip of the Hudson. While I dont make it a regular practice (particularly with fuel as of late!) a few times the weather was there, the fish were there, and none of my diesel running friends were going...we have done it and lived to tell about it.

You can see our setup in the stock page.
            1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

I have a Mako 260, which is the 261 hull with a walk around cap on it. I have 2002 Yamaha HPDI's. I spearfish, so when I go out, I am VERY heavily loaded. Typical load is four guys, 16 tanks, all dive gear, 500 #'s ice. With that, I get 30 mph at 4000 RPMs at around 1.8-1.9 mpg. Consistently.

I just went to the middlegrounds on Wednesday, which is 96 miles offshore, and for the entire day I burned 135 gallons of fuel.

The only downside is that Mako did undersize the trim tabs. They are built into the hull, so changing the planes is very difficult. I run with the tabs 2/3's of the way down all the time. The tabs are only 9" wide.
              1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

Interesting. Why all that tab all the time?? The only time I use tab is if I'm beating into a head sea.

Comment

I was just telling someone in an email that the props onthe boat cause a great deal of bow lift or stern lift depending on the cup and rake of the prop. Just becuae you are turning the right RPMs with a given prop doesn't mean that its the right prop for the over all performance of the boat. Many of these boats that run bow high could probably fiddle with propping and get the bow down some. But maybe not in all cases. Its deffinitely worth a try.

Heres some good reading (they mostly apply to bass boats, but the prop stuff is the same for all):

http://www.bogerprops.com/PitchandRake.html

http://www.kencook.net/Setupart.html

Comment

Yeah, I know, but unless its bumpy out, I want to 'fly' the hull as much as possible. Less wetted surface=better numbers all around. Thats why I went with the stillettos...they have rake which gives you lift.

Comment

Stilettos and Raptures are very good props for Mako boats. I have a Rapture on my 21 (lets say had... the garage floor is currently keeping rapture). But it kept the bow down substantially compared to the prop that came with my Merc. (forgot which one it is, but its a big dia. Merc prop.)

Comment

Makorider-

I have a Tuppens Tournament Edition Mako 231. I spoke to one of the guys at Tuppens who has been there for a while and he said that what made the boat a Tournament Edition is that at the time it was rigged with the best stuff......Bluewater Towers deluxe double bow T-top and leaning post, Yamaha engine, hydraulic steering, outriggers, downrigger, and a full electronics package. Obviously, this stuff is pretty common on boats now....but 14 years ago was a different story.

Ed

Comment

We don't really get "rollers" here on the gulf coast. A 2-3' confused chop will beat your brains in if you let the bow come up out of the water too much. You gotta get the entry of the boat into the water. I am sure some of the Louisiana boys know what I am talking about. By the end of a long day, after 100 or so gallons of fuel are gone, it takes less tab to keep the bow down.

I would be interested in trying some sternlift props, but the price of admission for that is upwards of $1000.
                          1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

Thanks guys. Ringleader, your right on the boat I'm looking at. I have not physically seen it yet other than the pictures. They tell me it is a 7 out of ten in terms of condition. I can see somepitting on the t-top. I been keeping an eye on these boats for a while. Waiting on getting some info back from tuppans and then will make a visit.

I'm hoping to get 35mph and 2.p mpg at 4000 rpm with those engines.

Am also worried about the fuel tank and having to replace it,but have to expect some of this with a 1990!

Comment

I have a 1988 261 Tuppens Edtion. I have a full tower and bow dogger on the boat. I repowered with 2001 Yammaha 200 OX66's. Fully loaded for an offshore trip I run 29knts at 4000 RPM and get about 1.5 mpg. I did not go with the HPDI's because of the extra weight and some stories I heard of putting the scuppers under water.

You will not be disappointed with this boat. It is one of the best overall performers that I have been on. It fishes well, does good in a head sea and will eat up a beam and following sea.

If you have any question feel free to email me.
                              Mark[br]1988 Mako 261 \"Catch 22\"[br]Westminster, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X