Gas Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank

How do you drain a gas tank? A hundred gallons, 3 year of old gasoline. What is the best solution.

Thanks!!
    DJS

There are service's that will pump it out for you, but they are not everywhere.

You can remove the fuel sending unit to pump them out from that point.

I had about 26gal in my tank when I got it. I pumped it out into a plastic 55gal drum. I got rid of it real slow. That's all I will say about it.[;^)]

Comment

easier waypressurize the vent system by removing the vent hose from the fitting pressurize the tank to 3 psi an dit will flow from the feed line to the engine.the fuel will have to be disposed of at the appropriate waste handler!!

Comment

wish I had that 100 gal of fuel for my old John Deere, It would be proud to burn it up for you. But I live way up north so thats not to feesable.[] dave.
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

The City of Houston has a facility that will accept 25 gallons a week if you are not a buissiness. we took the 100 gallons from my 254 tank replacement to the ranch and used it for clearing brush fence lines etc. it was a fun ride pulling the flats boat and a bed full of fuel 350 miles.
          Jeffrey George[br]Houston,Texas

Comment

The safest way is to disconnect the vent hose at the thruhull fitting and hook up a air compressor-low pressure then disconnect the fuel line and use the pressure to slowly push all the fuel out into a container,it took about 30 minutes to drain one of my saddle tanks this way.

Comment

I use a carter 12 volt electric fuel pump. Pumped in to a 55gal drum took to my camp an used it to build fires an kill ants
              Slim[br]Lafayette [br]1973 19-6 Aquasport[br]An a few Makos[br]

Comment

not a good idea to use an electric pump in that manner sparks and fuel vapors dont mix very well safest way is the way i told quite a while ago about pressurizing the fuel tank via the vent.also remember to ground all tanks

Comment

Comment

If you use air pressure on a tank remember that there is a lot of area on the inside tank walls and a very small amount of air pressure (pounds per square inch) can create very, very large forces on all of the walls of the tank pushing it out. Think about it this way - at a low 10 psi over a 3 sq ft area or 144sq inches per sq ft and most tanks have way more area - so 3sq ft x 144inchs per sq ft = 432 sq inches x 10 psi = 4320 pounds of force. That's over a ton of force on the inside of your gas tank pushing outwards! Wouldn't want the welds on my tank exposed to that. Best way is to syphon it out (even though its slow) via the fuel line and then as Wart said "remove the sending unit" and either pump (with an approved gas pump) or syphon the rest out with a larger hose. Just be glad that you don't have a gas oil mix like I had years ago. And what to do with 3 year old gas, - well I went through it also and as someone said "I got rid of it very slowly".

Mike

Mike
                    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

read the tank sticker on your fuel tank-it clearly states maximumpressure test of 4psi!! if you pressurize that tank to 3-4psi it will empty.this is also the easiest way to remove water from the fuel system-especially after a submersion the water is heavier than the fuel and it will layer out pressurize the vent and blow the water out into a 5 g bucket till you have fuel done !! pressurizing the fuel tank is the safest way other option is to have the tank emptied by an environmental service-this will usually result in damage to eithe the fuel fill hose or the level sender

Comment

The wife and I hooked an electric fuel pump from my sons chevy v8 toyota pick up. in line with the fuel hose an the pick in the boat tank. then at the rear of my boat were the hose would have hooked to the motor sat a 55 gal drum. On the ground not in the boat.I hit the switch an presto tank drained drum filled

[:x)]

Comment

Working...
                        X