Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17gasleak

[8D]Greetings makomen&women,

I'm a proud new owner of a 1980 mako 17.Been reading this board for a couple of months now and I've run in to my first major problem,a fuel leak....took the console up already,left everything connected,lifted the already cut out deck hatch that was directly under the console(same size as the console)cut 5x10" slice out of the foam.The tank looks in good shape on top, some evidence of water in some areas of the foam,found the leak area to be near the vent line and fill inlet.Cleaned the tank info plate, it's a 24 gallon manufactored by florida marine tanks.I read classic73mako's response to 100meridians tank problem & that seems to be the most logical and easy route.Any advice would help.I'm so fortunate to have stumbled on to this very informative and friendly board.

Sincerely,

VBmako17

Virginiabeach,Va.
    1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Hi VB,

If you found corrosion on the top of your tank you probaly dont have much left at the bottom. I you repaired it,I would lightly pressurize it and see if it leaks. A tank thats 15 years old is probably due to replace. Gary

Comment

Gary is right. Besides, you have done most of the work, now *all* you have to do is get the tank out! Good luck, welcome and we want pictures. []
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Hey gary,I remember your tank journey,well i'ts my turn now .Where did it finally take you? Looking to install a 40 gallon tank,or the largest one possible on my 17.Where to get one ??? also,my tank area is shallow only 7 or 8".Will I need to go deeper?or how deep can I go?
        1980 Mako17 Standard, 115 Yamaha 2 stroke[br]1981 Mako224 200 johnson 2 stroke Virginia Beach,Va

Comment

I ended up having a tank custom made at a welding shop on Marco that I like. I ended up with 27 gals. Looking back, I dont think it was worth the trouble. If your running a 4 cyl 24 gals should take you any where you would safely take a 17. A good welding shop should be able to build the same tank for about 8.50 a gal, give or take with good sender.

Comment

Gary I'm sorry I fogot to mention how sweet your 17 looks!Anyway,I'm currently powered with a 115 yamaha premix 2stroke came with the boat,it moves pretty good.I've been making runs down to the carolina line chasing stripers,about 25 to 30 miles or so,bringing about 20 extra gallons above deck.I've been getting home with about 10 gallons after fishing hard for 4 hours.If I hook the,"big one" thats cuttin it to close.Even with a four banger, the bigger tank is gonna come in handy.Get a bigger boat? not a chance!Man I love this 17.The state record striper was broken 2 times this year 63lbs,63.8lbs.

VBmako17

Comment

VB, Ya the fuel situation is a drag and I do the same thing. If Im going farther I have to carry fuel on deck. When Im done with my 19 im going back on my 17 standard. This time im going with lots of fuel. That boat is gutted and I can set it up the way i want.

Comment

VB, you said you are a new owner... did you pick up that 17 that was down in Hatteras?

Welcome aboard... it's good to see another 17 owner in VA.
                \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Gary,since yesterday,I've managed to get about half way through the foam.Still don't know how I'm gonna get 40 gallons in the floor without doing some major cutting.I'd like to have a tank lined up pretty soon have any connections you could point me to?I'm gonna post some pics soon.Also would you recommend poly or stainless,alum coated with epoxy?

Mubkis,thanks for the welcome!No I didn't pick up that hatteras 17.I sure was tempted,my better half would kill me!!! I picked it up in florida.Drove down around thanksgiving,I did find it on the net though

it was in good shape.Still needed lots of work,I didn't find this board until after I started the work I'll post pics soon.Yea,good to know another va.17.By the way your 17 turned out really nice!!

VBmako17

Virginiabeach,Va.

Comment

I replaced the tank in my 89 171 about a year ago.The 32 gal tank in the boat was made by rds alum for mako.They told me the could make exact copy for around $280 ish.Would have to wait almost seven weeks this was in may.Had kent-fab in norwell MA build it. Cost over $600 tank was done in 4 days.I felt the custom shop did A far superior job with workmanship an guage of alum.I still have all the contact info for rds if you need it.
                    88 171 90 merc[br]ipswich ma

Comment

Working...
                    X