Mako boat warranty problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako boat warranty problems

Has anyone had any problems with Mako on there hull warranty? I am the second owner of a 2001 Mako boat and needed the warranty to cover a flaw in the hull. Mako is telling me that because I did not regester the boat with Tracker Marine within a 60 day grace period from purchase that my warranty is now void. Any comments?
    01\' Mako BayShark 2100[br]200 Optimax[br]Lakeland Fl.

Some more information on my problem......

I purchased a 2001 Mako Bayshark 2100 from an individual in February 2004. I have recently been in need of service from the factory warranty. My boat carries a 10- year hull warranty from the factory. My boat has developed a soft spot in the bottom of the hull. I was instructed to take the boat to Tracker Marine Service in Orlando, Florida so that pictures could be taken of the flawed area. Service informed me this area should be covered by the factory warranty. I was then instructed to take the boat to their repair facility in Deland, FL where we thought the repair would be covered under said warranty. The following day Tracker Service informed me that our warranty was void because we failed to register our boat with Tracker Marine within a 60-day grace period from day of purchase. Their service department in Orlando suggested I call their warranty department in Springfield, MO. The warranty department informed me that it was my responsibility to contact Tracker Marine to make this transfer, they also informed me I should have been informed of this by the previous owner, that this needed to be done. Here lies the problem. When calling Tracker Marine Sales Department they knew of no such warranty transfer that needed to be handled by the buyer. I even called the Assistant Vice President of Sales in MO. and she was unaware of any grace period. In total I spoke with at least 3 people employed by Tracker Marine and they thought all transfers would be handled by Tracker not the individual owner. It seems to me a company as well known, as Mako Marine would stand behind a 10-year hull warranty no matter who owns the boat. Before purchasing this boat from it's pervious owner I researched the Mako website and the Tracker Marine website and the websites related to Mako Boats. I found that Mako was a very reliable boat that had no such problems with their warranties. I did find that both Mako & Tracker Marine websites are very limited on information concerning warranties. If it was my responsibility to transfer the warranty of my new boat then you would think that the website or it's contacts would at least know of a grace period and a need of warranty transfer. It's not the fact that I will pay the $400.00-$500.00 for this repair its the fact that I have lost the 10-year hull warranty from a well known boat manufacture such as Mako-Tracker Marine over something their own sales department knows nothing about. Is this a matter that maybe this web site can help me resolve? All we are asking for is the right thing to be done from a highly reputable company such as Mako-Tracker Marine.id="blue">

Comment

I am really sorry this has happened to you. Mako, since being sold by Schebekes in the late 80's, has not been the same. Owners of the company since then have used the Mako name to sell sub-par boats and cut corners on quality. It appears you are another victim in a long line of victims.

If you look through all of these pages you will find a mild tone of distaste and disdain concerning Tracker Marine and what they have done to the Mako name. Most folks around here own and are restoring 15 - 30 year old Makos.

That being said, recently there has been a buz in the boating industry that Tracker Marine is trying to turn the corner on the quality issues of the Mako line. Whether this will materalize or not is left to be seen. Good luck and I would take the boat to another bass pro shop or Tracker Marine location and get other opinions. If you really want to make a splash trailer it up the plant in NC and drop if off to be fixed!

Cliff
      Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

Wow what a nice reply...... thank you for your responce Cliff.

Comment

I have been looking at the mako boats at Outdoor World in Dania Beach for sometime now. In the past couple months I have noticed a marked improvement in the quality. It seams that the NC plant is getting it together. The proof is really in the new 284. They really thought that one out.

Comment

Shankiee,

What they're trying to tell you is against the law. Many companies try to get their customers to bite on this in hopes that their customers will give up. I would contact an lawyer.
            SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

Thank you Corey,

I hope that you are right. I really am trying to avoid the legal issues of this and hope a lawyer or my insurance does not get involved. I am still working on it each day though. I don’t think that Tracker Marine realizes that I work swing shift and that I can spend all day long on the phone with Tracker Corporate.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by releaseem

I have been looking at the mako boats at Outdoor World in Dania Beach for sometime now. In the past couple months I have noticed a marked improvement in the quality. It seams that the NC plant is getting it together. The proof is really in the new 284. They really thought that one out.

"They really thought that one out." Are you serious? More like the Coast Guard started looking into the problems with the 284.
                1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                1985 Mako 20c - sold
                Fort Walton Beach, FL
                http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

quote:

"They really thought that one out." Are you serious? More like the Coast Guard started looking into the problems with the 284.

Could you do some research before you post?

The USCG recall was on the 282. The 284 is a completly new design that is a completly different boat.

Comment

Thank you Ntrain, you beat me to it. On another note,

the name is Schwepke!
                    [br]1980 Custom Mako 20, 150 HO G2[br]Statham, GA

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ntrain2k

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

quote:

Could you do some research before you post?

The USCG recall was on the 282. The 284 is a completly new design that is a completly different boat.

If you are a Mako warranty tech how about helping the guy out on the underlying issue instead of slamming someone else for mixing up the 282 and 284?
                      Mako 212[br]Monmouth Beach[br]New Jersey

Comment

Leggo, Did you mean 'Schwebke'. I added an 'e' instead of a 'w'. I got the above spelling from an old boat review of a 26 Mako inboard. Is that wrong? By the way Go DAWGS!

I agree with you MeMag.

Cliff
                        Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Memag

If you are a Mako warranty tech how about helping the guy out on the underlying issue instead of slamming someone else for mixing up the 282 and 284?

I am a warranty tech, as in I do the repair work at the plant. Unfortunatly, I do not get any say if a boat is covered under warranty. The majority of the major warranty work is now done here at the plant.

Comment

How about passing on names?? A chain of command might give Shankiee some access he otherwise would not have.
                            [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DestinBound

How about passing on names?? A chain of command might give Shankiee some access he otherwise would not have.

My point exactly. A lot of Mako reps and sales people troll this site with some regularity. Some of them even post. Wouldn't it be nice for a rep from company that claims to want to restore it's good name and reputation to respond to a post like Shankiee's, who appears to be getting the Tracker runaround, and try to help him out?

The message to Mako is that you will be judged by the quality of your product (boats and service) and not your PR statements that you are really trying to "turn things around." Show us.
                              Mako 212[br]Monmouth Beach[br]New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                              X