history question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• history question

[?]when, where, who built the first mako hull? what size was it and is it still in service? just curious. great site[] and thanks for all the interesting, informative, and civil discussions.
    91 17 standard[br]mt pleasant sc[br]115 yamaha[br]got mako?[br]

the 15, in Miami? That's my guess. The oldest I think I've seen, I thought, was one onf those 15' trihulls. I know they were originally based in Miami, near Opa Locka.
    1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Bob Schwebke was the man who started Mako. Mako started production in 1967 or early 1968 with three hulls: a 17 (standard and angler), a 19, and a 22. The plant was based in Miami. There are some good pics of the first three Mako's on the FAQ/Reference page under history and nostalgia. I think many of these boats are still in service, in fact there is a '69 19 on boattrader right now for 5k.

Cliff
      Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

Cliff,

I have been meaning to ask you about that boat on boattrader. It is listed as an 18', could it in fact be the Mako Perdue 18? If you look at www.mako-boats.com the first year they have specs for is 1968 which actually list a 17, 18, 19, 22, 25 inboard.
        Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

I saw a Mako 18 once in the Virgin Islands almost 20 years ago. I think it was hull design similar to the Mako 15 (trihull with large center vee). As far as the Mako 15, I had one from the first year of its production, labled as a 1974 hull. Here's a pic of that boat in 1981.

Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

Martin,

Yeah, I don't know about the 25 inboard. There was a thread about a month ago that had some great pics of the 18 backcountry (perdue). The boat on boattrader is definitely an old 19.

Cliff
            Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

Martin,

Called the friend who was with me when I saw the Mako 18, since I can't really remember it (thumbs up for Carib beer), and he told me it looked like a 19 that had been passed through a press and flatened out into a pancake. Looked more like a bay boat. Hope this helps.
              Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

If you will look at the article written about the 26 inboard here: http://www.classicmako.com/reference/ then it tells you that the first boat Bob Schwebke made was a 25 inboard, making only 5 then scraping the hull to make the 17,19,22. So why would they list the other boats under 1968 on the mako website?
                Martin[br]McKinney, TX

Comment

Working...
                X