4-strokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-strokes

I'm new to the site so pardon if this question has been answered dozens of times....

I have a 1989 285 dual console with 1991 twin yamaha 250's (carb not EFI). I am looking to repower and am considering the 225 4-stroke yamaha's.

My boat does not have a bracket or full transom, just the original equipment with a permanent insert that looks like it was added aftermarket that does a good job of preventing the boat from taking in too much water from the stern (which looks like be a problem if the divider was not installed).

Just wanted to see if anyone has any suggetions or tips prior to repowering with these motors.
    Dallas, TX[br](Boat at Port Aransas, TX)

I can't tell you what's best for that boat, but If your looking at 4 strokes then look no farther than Suzuki. Lower gear ratio's w/ biggerprops = better holeshot. No timming belt to worry about, cheaper price and has a Damn near 0 problem's. Ask Capt. Andy about his 225.

Comment

close the transom, and add a bracket (like the Mako 295). Then put a pair of Suziki 250's. At least that's what I would do. And if I had the cash, I really would, since I love that 28!
      Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

Ive blown up three suzuki 250 4 strokes. But other then that I think theyre good engines.
        Slidell, La

Comment

That's the 1st I've hurd of any Suzzy 4 strokes going south. So would you put your money down to buy one?

Comment

I probably would. I had such good luck with the 140 zukis althuogh they suck for power they are great bulletproof engines.
            Slidell, La

Comment

Word on the street is to stay away from 250 hp engines and go with 225. This can be attributed to the larger block size some manufactures use in the step up from 225 to 250. Both the Suzuki 225 and 250 are 3.6 liter engines. That doesn't correlate with the issues Yamaha and Evinrude had/are having with the 225 vs 250. That said (which is just s brain splat), I have heard only good things about the suzukis, but never have seen the 250hp run. Spec's issues are a first for me. Most of the experiences I've heard about are 140s and 200/225, again, all excellent.

Spec... What kind of issues did you have?
              Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

forget the 4 strokers!! you want the yamaha hpdi's or the mew bombardier e-tech . another thought why would anyone add a bracket to thier boat it's stupid stick with the standard cut out it's definatley easier to fish out of. in the jersey area we don't see too many of those suzuki motors but i have heard that they run pretty well but they are prone to galvanic corrosion that's my 2 cents!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jawz

forget the 4 strokers!! you want the yamaha hpdi's or the mew bombardier e-tech . another thought why would anyone add a bracket to thier boat it's stupid stick with the standard cut out it's definatley easier to fish out of. in the jersey area we don't see too many of those suzuki motors but i have heard that they run pretty well but they are prone to galvanic corrosion that's my 2 cents!

Well Your fairly new around here jawz. I just read a thread that you posted about being new to computers too. I guess you haven't heard/read the horrer stories that folk's have hed with 250&300 Yamaha HPDI's.$100K+ boat's sitting that can't be used. http://thehulltruth.com/search/query...&author=&days=

http://thehulltruth.com/search/query...&author=&days=

Lot's of use have added Bracket's to our Mako's to stop a problem that Mako has. Water over the transom. This problem will vary depending on what model you have. The boat I have sunk and one of the crew died from this problem. It's true that there were other problem's with the boat that helped this along. I don't know how well the hatch fit in the splashwell. It was gone when I got the boat. A single 500gph bildge pump, batteries in the bildge. Boat anchored with wind from one direction and current/waves from 180deg the other direction.

Comment

Hi Tom,

That 285 you have is a big boat! Lot's of beam (9'10") and will handle a lot of horsepower -- max is 600.

I'd look at a minimum of twin 250s with that boat. Right now the 250s with the most consistent performance record on the water are Suzuki's 250hp 4-strokes. I don't see twin 225s doing the job on your boat -- though I could be wrong.

Another option maybe Yamaha's 250hp 4-strokes, but current production is linked to new boat sales. I'm told loose engines for repowering won't be available until later this year, though you may get lucky. Yamaha's 4-strokes are solid engines, so the 250hp may not have the problems their 250 HPDI is having.

Good luck with your project!

Prop Blast
                    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Thanks for the commentary. Keep it coming.

I have also talked to a mechanic who indicates that one of the main benefits of a bracket mount is the ability to get the motors higher out of the water for performance and also maintenance (get's engine farther away from waterline so less saltwater issues). Mechanic recommends the 30 inch shaft length. Does Suzuki make a 30 inch shaft length in the 225 HP 4-stroke?

Comment

Putting a bracket on minimizes saltwater issues with the engine? I installed a 200hp Honda on my 1973 23' and she has never ridden better. Weight differences among them all are negligible and hole shots can be achieved with the appropriate prop.

Comment

doubletzer Welcome Aboard. Please put your hometown/state in your siginature.

The DF-225& DF-250 Suzzy's are available in 30in shafts. The 200 is not.

http://www.suzukimarine.com/

Comment

Thanks alot everybody. Wish I would have found this site a few years back....

Comment

being in the marine repair buisness for the last 10yrs i have seen very few problems with the yamaha outboards with the new hpdi i have seen even fewer i have not seen the new 300hpdi as of yet-by saying seen i mean to repair or p/maintenance. the 200/250 and 150 engines i maintain have shown ZERO problems. a comon cause of problems with these engines can be traced back to the owner using the cheapest oil they can find and using improper "techniques". the oxygen sensors on these engines are sensitive to a wax build up this can cause a detonation problem. as far as brackets are concerned the fact is that bracket will make the boat faster and quieter however there are drawbacks-it is not easier to maintain the engines ti will make them more prone to corrosion due to the constant dousing of water they will sustain-again based on my experience i can look at your engine and tell you if it has been on a bracket without seeing the boat!! as far as water over the transom-my own boat a 1990 250 walkaround with twin 200 yamahas granted it does take a little water at drift. but the hatches at the aft end are completely sealed also i realize that common sense does scare me and i have installed 2 rule 2000gph fully auto pmps one slightly higher than the other this will allow a back-up assist-also these pumps are seperated-by that i mean 2 pumps ran off different batteries these pumps are allways live fused through anchor fully waterproof fuse holders.any that doesn't have their boat set-up in this fasion is basically asking for trouble.there is also a "high bilge water" alarm using an engine alarm horn and a bilge float switch. with all that said - i would not add a bracket to my boat on a bet nor would i purchase a boat equipped with a bracket. there is one more factor that was not mentioned-leverage if the transom isnt constructed properly and the bracket isnt "backed up" correctly the result will be one giant problem!! based upon my experience with quite a few novice fiberglass repairs i have seen - this is not s job for the inexperienced - a license should be required to purchase tools!!!! once again everyone has their own opinion that is why there is vanilla,chocolate and strawberry ice cream. 4 stroke technology is still developing it is not as "quick"as the 2 strokers and with yamahas hpdi bombardier's e-tech and merc's optimax the 2 strokes are getting the same fuel economy as the 4 strokers with out the weight.granted the 4 strokes are quiet-but what about the maintenance factor with hte 4 strokes-there are numerous pros and cons on each side of the fence and this like that ice cream comparison-is a personal prefference.[][]

Comment

Working...
                              X