"Ideal Mako"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ideal Mako"

A while ago there was some interesting discussion regarding the changes that should be made to the Mako models such as dropping the 195, reducing the beam to 8 feet, full transoms, and so on. I was curious about what changes should be made to the coustruction methods that would include new technology to make the ideal Mako. Should they use plywood transoms, fiberglass stringers, stainless steel rails, etc?

Hi Mark,

I understand your question, but the term "ideal" is certainly a relative one. What makes one boat ideal as a small saltwater fishing boat (under 30' for my purposes -- though of course the next guy could consider anything over 22' large) might make it unsuitable for duty as an all-around boat. It also drives up the cost. However I'll do my best here -- sky's the limit right? []...

1. Use both vinylester and polyester resins in construction to better prevent water intrusion and resist gelcoat blistering.

2. Vacumm bag the bonding of the stringers to the hull. Reduces air pockets and generally results in a better bond between the stringers and hull.

3. High quality hardware. Don't want to say " use all stainless" as a blanket statement -- there's good stainless and "less than good" for the marine environment. Cleats would all be pop ups to reduce the chance of catching fishing line.

4. Better rod storage under the gunwales.

5. Design baitwells better to increase water flow and manage the water levels. Stop putting them into the leaning post/tackle stations.

5. Toe kicks all around the boat to allow better fishing fighting technique.

6. Better consoles that allow flush mounting of electronics suitable to a given hull. Obviously a 28' boat would have more room that a 21'.

7. Wiring conduits that facilitate neat wiring. Also circuit breakers, not fuses.

That's enought to get you started.

Tom
    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
    X