1999 225hp Fict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 225hp Fict

ok guys, i'm looking for suggestions and ideas for the exprets(were all experts right?).

I have a 1999 225 Fict on my 1997 Mako 232(Best boat ever), it has been running great, and runs through it's computer checks fine- doing "everything it should" as the mechanic says, but when running for a while the "check engine" light comes with an alarm? Strange hua? Their is also a ticking sound when it is running from (about)idle to about 2800rpms.

Strange thing is other than the alarm and the tick it runs great. Mechanic, who i know and trust says that these(Ficts) motors are sensative to h2o in gas- and moisture is what makes alarm go off... other thig is that OMC techs have checked motor in reguards to the "tick" and found nothing...(My primary concern is the alarm as i am planing on long trips this summer)

Does anyone have any ideas, and should i be worried concerned about long runs???

Thanks guys!

-Grant
    \'76 Dyer 29- PALMETTO[br]\'?? 17 Angler [br]Darien, CT

There should have been a code stored in the ecu/emm. Do you know what it was?
    1973 Mako 22[br]Bahamas

Comment

Grant, who does your service, Art at The Bait Shop?
      Formerly: Mako 236[br]Currently: 35\' Viking[br]Greenwich, CT

Comment

I dont know what the code is- they just tell me to change the fule filters when it happens, so I do and it still happens.

Ray and Art at The Bait Shop do the servie. They have been great and dont seen concerned about it- I kinda am...

Comment

Maybe it's time for a second opinion.....

Do you have a water pressure and temperature guage? When was the water pump impeller and thermostats last changed? Since the alarm only sounds after it has been running for a while, I bet it's not cooling properly.

How long does the alarm stay off once you change the fuel filter? Are you using a water separating fuel filter or just a standard fuel filter? Some of the EFI/DFI motors have a separate water separator/fuel filter inside the cowling.

Sorry I can't be more help. I'm stuck with one of the old smokey carburated 2-strokes that would run on the contents of my porta potty and Coors Light.... []
          Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

I know its not the same motor as yours, but the temp alarm on my '97 225 OX66 will go off if I troll for awhile with her running below about 800 rpm.

My mech told me that the big blocks don't pump enough water to cool properly if you're trolling at idle and in gear (about 600 rpm for me). My solution was to alter my trolling pattern (or pull a drift sock) to get my rpms to 800 or above while trolling.

Is your alarm going off while going slow, or does it also do it at speed?
            Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

I had a similar issue with my port side motor (2004 Rude DI). It ended up being the fuel line being to small. The carbed engines before only required 5/16" fule lines. For some reason, the starboard side was changed out to 3/8", but the port side wasn't changed. Evidentally the DI motors require a little less restriction in the fuel lines, hence the need for 3/8" lines. I changed it out and it's been OK ever since.
              Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Grant

First things first, do you have SEATOW? It’s the best 100 bucks you will ever spend.

FICHT’s don’t say there is a problem for no reason. Your problem could be minor now but running it unchecked could be a big mistake.

Have you pulled your code from the EMM?

You can do this two ways.

1.) By using your System Check Gauge on your tach.

2.) Use a laptop with FICHT Diagnostic software.

I have the service Manual 2000 year FICHT. There were a few changes from the 99 to 2000, fuel pumps and parts in the EMM. Most dealers don’t like working on the late 90’s models. The company was in bad shape during those years.

If you don’t have a manual I can walk you thru the no laptop version of the service code retrieval.
                Lloyd Holland[br]Auburn, Alabama.

Comment

quote:

Does anyone have any ideas, and should i be worried concerned about long runs???

With an older FICHT motor I would always be conserned about long runs, short runs too for that matter. Keep your Seatow membership current.

Comment

RudeTude's guess was mine as well, though I dont have a ficht..

They are very sensative to vacuum, frmom what I hear. What kind of filters are you using...good Racor's I hope? If did get bad gas with water, those other non-drainable canister filters will fill up with water and then do nothing for you.
                    1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

Hey guys,

I like the idea about the fuel line, seem simple enough and inexpensive to fix.

To answer some of the questions, I have to admit that I’m a bit naive. When the alarm sounds the check engine light comes on... Will sound for 30 seconds or so, stop. The check engine light remains on- When I change the fuel filters it doesn’t seem to have a lasting effect. As for service on impellers, pumps, etc it has been serviced every winter.

Lloyd- thanks for the offer to walk through the check, boat is due in the water middle of May. Where can I get the diagnostic software?

Comment

See the link below for the cable you will need.

I will make you copy of software and the guide to use it.

You can do the self test and find the code easy right now.

To enter Diagnostic Mode

Step 1. Remove engine cover.

Step 2. Remove starboard throttle link from cam. (This cam is up by your carburetors below fly wheel)

Step 3. Turn cam to full length of travel (i.e. wide open throttle)

Step 4. Using a rubber band or tiestrap hold the cam as described in Step 3

Step 5. Turn the boat key switch to the on position. (Not start) just as it would be while you are waiting for system check to complete.

Step 6. Wait 10 sec. Watch the check engine light. Count the series of flashes. The test will run over and over until you turn the key off. This is your code or codes.

Post what your codes are or e-mail me.

http://www.dfitechnologies.com/index.html
                        Lloyd Holland[br]Auburn, Alabama.

Comment

Lloyd,

Thanks for the nice steep by steep directions and the link. I found a print out form the computer(from July)- it noted code 37, and no water in the gas.

Right now the boat is burried in snow and the motor is with the Mechanic- But I am exited to give this a try. The motor is supposed to be tank tested soon, I'll find out what code / codes show up and let you know.

I will order the cable, and thanks for the software offer- My address for the winter is: Grant Tankoos 7A fulton Street. Charleston SC, 29401. and let me know what i o you.

Thanks Lloyd- this is very helpful.

Grant

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mako231

Grant

First things first, do you have SEATOW? It’s the best 100 bucks you will ever spend.

FICHT’s don’t say there is a problem for no reason. Your problem could be minor now but running it unchecked could be a big mistake.

Have you pulled your code from the EMM?

You can do this two ways.

1.) By using your System Check Gauge on your tach.

2.) Use a laptop with FICHT Diagnostic software.

I have the service Manual 2000 year FICHT. There were a few changes from the 99 to 2000, fuel pumps and parts in the EMM. Most dealers don’t like working on the late 90’s models. The company was in bad shape during those years.

If you don’t have a manual I can walk you thru the no laptop version of the service code retrieval.

Comment

You're not alone with the noise coming from your engine. A friend of mine has the same 1999 motor on his Pursuit. He has been very frustated by it and has taken it to several boat yards to correct the problem. On a couple of occaisions they said the noise was not uncommon to this particular motor, but does not seem to effect the performance. He has had no alarms go off.

Good luck
                              76 mako 20 cc[br]Essex MA

Comment

Working...
                              X