Ever heard of Flare boats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever heard of Flare boats?

Newbie post, looking at a 20' Flare CC Open fisherman 1985 model year. According to the owner, Flare Boats (Lake Wales, Fl) bought the Mako Sportsman Deluxe (or similiar model) design from Mako in the mid 80's. Does look very similiar in design, seems well made and has been kept in ideal conditions most of it's life. Anybody heard of them? I believe their out of business, just wondering how they hold up. Stringers, transom and deck all seem solid.

Thanks,

Steve

I haven't heard of that particular spin-off but I'd love to see pics. Check this one out, its a shameless rip-off...

http://www.classicmako.com/powercat/
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

That explanation sounds better, "buying the design" didn't really make sense to me. Why would Mako sell a popular hull design.

I will get pics next week, as I intend to go thru with the buy anyways, ideal for my needs.

Thanks

Steve

Comment

I could flip my hull upside down, fill and smooth over all the scratches. Then wax and buff and PVA the hull. Spray it with gelcoat, then lay it up and reinforce it and I have a mold. I mean its sounds easy in concept, but if you have a shop and the tools to do it, you can rip off any hull.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

My boss has one, have known it since it was new in '85. For sure a Mako "splash",But a great built boat.

Comment

Good to hear that, gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling as I'll probably pick it up on Tues. Thanks guys[]

Comment

Tried posting pic, not working, will search more.

Comment

Working...
              X