Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 19

Hello

I'm new to this forum and have noticed right away all of the knowledge and expert advice RE: Mako Boats. Well, here's my question. My father-in-law recently purchased a 2005 Trophy and wants to sell me his 1969 Mako 19' which he just put on a 2003 Suzuki 115 last year and I used it all summer. The price seems to be pretty fair and before I spill the beans on $$$ I was hoping to get some feedback from the forum as to what you think it is worth. If I were to rate the hull 1-10, i would consider it a 7.5 with ten being cherry. The folks that installed the motor said it is solid, including the transom. Oh ya, all new electronics and a three year old tandem axle trailer. I know he wouldn't screw me, but I thought I'd ask the question. What's it worth?
    69\' Mako 19[br]03\' Suzuki 115

i have a 19' an it's a great boat. I've put some work in to it an it will run with the big dogs. As far as price if you feel it's worth it then whats the big deal what we think. If You realy want to know if it's a fair price tell us what He's asking for it. then we'll be more informed
    Slim[br]Lafayette [br]1973 19-6 Aquasport[br]An a few Makos[br]

Comment

$9000

Comment

It may have a $9,000 replacement cost, but what would someone with honestly be willing to spend on a 1969 center console without a total rehab? If it were me, avoid the potential for family "awkwardness" and pass on the boat. You may have a difficult time insuring a boat of that age and it will end up costing you a lot of money to go through a survey and pay the annual premium. I think for $9,000, you could get a much newer hull, however, if you know the boat and like it, buy it. It's only your opinion that matters!
        Formerly: Mako 236[br]Currently: 35\' Viking[br]Greenwich, CT

Comment

Thanks. The "awkwardness" would definitely suck if something were to go wrong. I'm on the fence about the whole deal. I guess I'll sleep on it for the rest of this long miserable winter on Cape Cod!

Comment

Mich,

If this helps with your comparison, I bought a used 1997 191 in July of 2004. The boat came with a 1998 Johnson Ocean Pro. I bought from the original owner. He had all the paperwork and manuals from Mako. The boat was kept covered under a carport. I got a Lowrance 350 for electronices (partially worked). Also included was a pickup bed of accessories (tube for tubing, ski rope skies, 8 life jackets of various sizes, rods, reels, oils, waxes, and grease, ladder, & cover.

I elected to have the motor tuned up, de-carboned, and new water pump. Mechanic said motor was tight, he rated 9 on scale of 1-10.

Location has a lot to do with price. I found mine on the Gulf Coast. I beleive these boats are more plentiful further south. I got my deal for $8,600.00. I think if you look around and shop the internet you could find a much newer boat with more power for the same money. But like Putnam stated "Its only your opinion that matters." Good luck.

The Suzuki is the driving value in this deal. You might want to think of the 115 being on the low end of power. This might become an issue with you.

Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Comment

9K ! Too much.

I got a '88 21B with (low hour)'92 Johnson 225. 1 year old trailer. solid as they come. 11K and you can tow her away. Icludes all kinds of goodies.

I'll go find me a 25' !!

Comment

The problem is if you find something with the hull, how do you address it with Family?? Cut through the chase 5 grand, and gamble, as in a marriage, for better or worse, thats the price of a that used engine in my area. Doubt it will bring much more than that. But one big problem with asking cyberspace the pricing of boats, each boat is different, and each area is different, even if the hull is shaped the same. Ask you insurance company about insurance. Without a normal survey you will get little insurance on a hull over five years old with many of the agencies in our area, too.

Comment

My buddy, after riding in our mako's all these years, joined the club this spring and bought the same exact hull - a '69 19' w/1997 Johnson 130. He paid $1500 - boat was far from 'clean' - alot of shixt wood covering guage holes in the dash etc, and knew his transom was soft. Apparently it was softer than anticipated and he had to put another $1500 into the transom....so figure he paid $3k, which is about right for around here.
                  1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

he went from a 19 foot Mako to a Trophy....as in Bayliner Trophy?

boy is he in for the shock of his life.......those boats aren't worth crap
                    24 Privateer customized by Hurricane Sandy[br]

Comment

It shocked me too! He just put the zuki four stroke on the Mako last year and it is just barely broken in. I'm still on the fence about the purchase. I agree that it is an old hull and may need some work down the line. However, when the new motor was put on, the transom was inspected and said to be "solid". I fish and dive Upper Cape Cod, MA and this boat has always been a perfect fit. I just worry about 1969 and "family relations". Hey, I have at least 2 months to think about it still! By the way, I think its going to be around $8000 vs. $9000.

Comment

You could get a real nice mide to late 80's 19 or 20 Mako in near perfect condition for less than that....I did.
                        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                        1985 Mako 20c - sold
                        Fort Walton Beach, FL
                        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Sorry, but its still too high when you look at the boat market. How good is the trailer? A new trailer, for that boat costs me 1800 bucks. I can purchase a new 115 four stroke, for about nine grand, with the three warranty.

Comment

The galvanized trailer is only two years old and only used for the 300yd trip back and forth to the ramp. The motor was bought with a 6 year transferable factory warranty. It was a promotional offer at the time $600 back or 6 year warranty. It now has five remaining years.

Comment

....and I keep hearing about these $4000-$5000 19's with fairly new motors. Where are they? I don't see them here in Mass. Believe me, I would like to find something close to home to compare.

Comment

Working...
                              X