Hypothetical Transom Project__on a 224

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical Transom Project__on a 224

If I had the time and a good place to do it I would think about closing in the transom and adding a bracket to my 224.

Looking for opinions here, I know that's dangerous. If money were no object would you put twin brand new 4 strokes on it?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I would be curious to hear what other people think.
    1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Steve,

You need to think such a project through carefully. Ed (Ringleader) is doing such a thing to his boat, which is a foot shorter than a 224. Suggest you check out his project.

Enclosing the transom and putting a bracket on a boat changes things from a floation perspective -- and not always to the good. You significantly change the center of gravity, which effects the float line of the hull.

Do some significant research before you undertake such an endevor.

Tom
    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

This is exactly why I am putting this out there now. I wouldn't have any way of doing this for at least a year and a half.

If I had enough people between now and then tell me it's a dumb idea then I wouldn't even think about it.

Comment

There is a forum member who has the same hull as you and Prop Blast have... He added a bracket a few years back and has never regretted it. He loves the boat and its ride.

http://www.classicmako.com/projects/papia/

I'll try to find his email address. I rarely see him surface here though.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

That is a nice looking 224

His e-mail address is on his website. I will give him a shout.

I am curious to see if he ever thought of putting twins back there.

Comment

Pushing your motor back off the transom can alter the trim of your boat because of the change in torque the motor places on the boat's center of gravity and buoyancy (they are not in the same place on your boat). The change in torque is simply the weight of your motor times its distance from the transom. So, if you have a 1' setback and a 400lb motor, then you've added an additional 400lbs, 2' then 800lbs, etc., to tail of your boat. Basically at 1' your 400lb motor acts like an 800lb motor. How much this actually affects your boat depends on a lot on the type of bracket you choose and the design of the boat's hull.

You can address the floatation issue by using a bracket with a floatation chamber. The floatation chamber will help support the additional weight and help offset the effect it has on your trim. Look at the bracket from Armstrong to see what I mean about a positive floatation bracket http://www.armstrongnautical.com/Brackets.htm.

The issue of trim while underway is something you can deal with as well by deflecting your trim tabs a little more.

Overall I wouldn't worry about it and getting the extra floor space, better efficiency, etc., makes it worth it - to me anyway. Of course I'm putting a bracket on my '74 22, so maybe I'm biased.

If you use a bracket that doesn't provide floatation then you do have to worry more about the affect this change has on your boat's trim. In addition to the boat "squatting" more you will want to watch out for water washing up onto the engine when you drop off plane quickly. This can put the motor below water level and the backwash can wash over it. Whether this would happen depends a lot on the engine and bracket combination you choose. Whether this is a problem or not depends on the motor cover and how well it seals.
            [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

Thanks Destin,

I had sent an e-mail to Steve Papia as Eddie suggested. He replied and said that he was glad he did it, but might have thought about putting twins on it if he had the money. I believe his is the flotation chamber style.

You said in your post that it will increase efficiency. Does that mean you burn less fuel? I wouldn't think that would make any difference.

Comment

Mainly the efficiencies are gained because you will normally raise the motor a few inches (which results in less drag) and since the motor is farther back from the transom you will typically find cleaner water there. Thus, the propeller is capable of doing its work more efficiently. You may even be able to use a more efficient propeller design since you will be running it closer to the surface.

These changes in total will result in better efficiency which translates to more speed and better fuel economy.
                [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

Working...
                X