Late Model Yamaha Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Model Yamaha Info

I am looking at a 1998 Scout sportfish 172, that has a 1998 yamaha 90hp 2 stroke on it. I am very familiar with the scout line, and the boat looks great, I am just not all that familiar with the strenghs and weaknesses of the newer yamaha 2 strokes. Any information any of you have would be greatly appriciated.

yes, I know, not a mako, that's in my longterm plans, but I recently graduated college and funds are short, so Im looking to get on the water in my own boat any way that I can now that I am too far from my parents to make regular use of theirs.
    Trey[br]Clinton, SC[br]No boat, working on that.

The 90 Yamaha is not known for being a speed demon compared to some of the others but is considered very reliable. Mine can sit for months and will start on the first try. I also like the fact that the oil tank is on the motor - don't have to worry about external lines, pumps, etc. I see alot of rigs around here like the one you've described. All seem very happy with the set up.
    SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

is there a version of the motor that does not use a built on oil tank. The pics that the seller sent me of the motor don't appear to have a shown, he sent a pic of both sides of the motor w/ he cowling removed.

Comment

There might be. If you want to e-mail or post the pictures I'll tell you if it's the same.

Comment

SCMAKO17, I sent a couple of pics to the email address you have listed, if that's not the right one, let me know. What lakes to you spend time on in SC? I have grown up primarily on Lake Murray, and am really looking foward to the upcoming season now that the water is going to return to somewhat normal capacities, and I only live about 20 min from lake Greenwood, which I tend to avoid at all cost, too many bass boats (I still don't understand why on earth anyone would spend the money on one of those things when they could have a real fishing boat that you can actually ride comfortably in). By the way, I am a Clemson Grad, so don't hold that against me. I saw that mention of all the rednecks w/ foutains and formula's on lake hartwell was made mention of. If you think its hard in a center console, try dealing with those idiots from a 16 foot hobie cat, no fun at all, especially when they ignore all common sense boating rules in existance.

Comment

Yes, I have a C-90 Yamaha on my '98 162 Scout. The C-90 is a premix motor. Mine has 368hrs on it and runs flawles. I've put 2 waterpumps in it, theromstat's and changed the plugs once. I run stabil in my fuel and I run the Yamaha decarbon on ocasion.

The only thing I need to do after it's been sitting a month or more is pump the ball and listen to see if any more fuel can be pumped into the carbs. It will turn a few times and fire right up. It will trol for 4 to 5hrs and never skip a beat.

Comment

Is the 162 have buit in tanks? My mechanic told me a while back to be skeptical of any boat w/ a inboard tank using premix due to the difficulty of cleaning out any sludge. Granted, he is about 60 years old and may be refering to days past with lower quality fuel.

Comment

Yes the 162 has a 24gal built in. It does have a removable hatch, if you pull the console first.

Comment

This is the Boat Im looking at, hopefully i have the pics posted correctly.

Comment

I was able to sharpen the image of the port side of the motor enough to read the tag off of the starter, and was able to cross the OEM number off of it using a core profile program (my father remanufactures alternators and starters on a massive scale, I can typically find out anything about a car/boat from only the code on the starter or alternator), but this one was used on so many different applications there is no way to determine much from it.

Comment

Trey,

I responded to your e-mail a few minutes ago. As usual, Bobby is probably correct about the pre-mix. I was unaware that there was such a version.

To echo Bobby, I've got a neighbor who has a Scout 175 with a Yamaha C-115 (premix). He rarely uses it and it runs perfectly for him every time.

As for lakes, being a Carolina grad, I have spent some time on Lake Murray but not since they dropped the water down the 10 feet or whatever the amount. Many college afternoons were spent with a cooler of beer in the duck boat looking for potholes in the swamps of the upper Santee - Fork Swamp, Sparkleberry, etc. I try to avoid the big water at Hartwell. When you get around Clemson and up the Tugaloo, it's not as crowded and in my opinion prettier. I usually split my time between Keowee and Jocassee. I don't think it gets any better than Jocassee. My New Year's resolution for this year is to striper fish more. My girlfriend lives in Columbia so I'm determined to sneak over to Murray to see if I can catch a few. Maybe we can meet up.

Comment

The motor pix's are identacle to mine.

Comment

Thanks for all of your help.

Corey, the water on murray is looking great, it's almost back up where it should be. I've actually been out on it several times this year, and I can't wait to be able to spend time on it this spring and summer. I work in Irmo right next to the dam, and construction is looking like it's almost done, they are projecting april or may for completion, but the water is up, so it's all good. The fish have been kinda hard to predict w/ the water being down, so it will be interesting to see if they go back to their old habits, or do something completely different.

Comment

Working...
                          X