Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank/ tanks in a 17 standard

Hi guys,

As you know im building another 17. My question is, didnt the later 17s hold something like 40 gallons of fuel? Im going to need a minimun of that in this boat. I wes thinking maybe of using 2 low slung 30 gal saddles or trying to reconfigure to handle 50 gals below deck, any thoughts?

Gary,

I just bought a 115 hp Merc engine from a guy with a 1991 17 Standard and he told me that his boat has a 40 gallon tank where as my 1974 has a new 23 gallon tank (that was built to the same dimensions as the original one).
    Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

If I use a 40 in the hull I was thinking of putting 12 in the bow. This boat is to do nothing but blast off, so I realy dont care about storage. I have no idea how the merc efi's are on fuel but Im sure the way I run my boats im going to need lots of fuel. I would much rather have it in the hull.

Comment

I think my 1996 17 has a 35 gallon tank

Comment

Gary,

I'm pretty sure mine is a 35 but by the time you fill it up completely, you might be able to squeeze another gallon or two in the fill hose.
          SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

Yes, they upped it to 35 in the later models. We replaced the tank in our '73 17 at one point. We duped the original tank, but had we designed our own, I'm sure we could have squeezed 40 gallons...there was a ton of wasted space in the fuel tub in which the tank sits.
            1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

I just got back from my welders shop and I think we can get 48 gals. That should be enough. I was up late last night working on it and I am motivated now. Im not sure which will kill me first, my relationship or the boat. "honey, why do you need so much gas in a little boat?" "paint costs how much?" "whos big black motor is that in the garage" "wouldnt it be easier to buy a boat?" "Im leaving you for the UPS man" You get my drift.[V]

Comment

Quick question and comment, how much are you anticipating to burn at the worse case scenario a day? Take that and double it.

Comment

Hi Oyster,

I realy dont know. The boat will weigh in at under 1000# (dry weight hull only) but this has got to get better economy than that fuel sucker Im runnin on the angler. I carry 27 gal in the angler and can burn it up in no time but its carbed.

Comment

Jeez, Gary, "blast off"?! Are you building a fishing boat or a rocket ship?
                    \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

QUOTE: "Im leaving you for the UPS man"

HeHe yea he's here at least 0nce a week and if not it's several times a week.[]

Comment

Hi Mub,

You might call it that. You know that I like to go fast and my angler is my fishing boat. Im probably an idiot for trying to do this, but what the hell. Its realy not the speed its the trick work. The speed is just a bonus.

Comment

Working...
                        X