Proper battery choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper battery choice

What's the best set up for my two battery operation ?

I'm replacing my two older batteries on my Mako 201 with 150hp.

I understand there are high amp starter batteries, and deep cycle

longer lasting batteries. Should one of each be used ?

Hi "B",

I'm guessing you have a carburated 2-stroke engine, and not a Opti Max or EFI, most of which require a more powerful battery. If you have the owners manual for you engine, that will be a good place to start. The manual will/should say what the minimum battery requirements are, in Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). Do NOT look at Marine Cranking Amps (MCA).

Once you've done that, take a look at the electronics you run on the boat: depthfinder, GPS, VHF, Stereo, bait pump, bilge pump, .... and add up the amp draw for each item. That'll give you your reserve power needs.

Package the CCA requirements with the reserve power rating and start looking. I would recommend sticking with two dual-purpose batteries, either group 24 or 27. Of course, the specific wiring on your boat may be set up for one starting battery to run your engine and the second, a deep cycle, battery for your electronics.

I ran Interstate Megatron Marine batteries for years without any problems. Once I switched over to a 4-stroke, I upgraded to two high power AGS batteries. The most important thing you can do though, is keep your batteries fully charged between uses. It can be a pain, but not as painful as having a dead battery 10 miles from shore. []

Good Luck,

Tom
    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Hello Bgreene

I run two AC Delco deep cycle Voyagers they don't leak or never need water group 24 and Ive been running them for ten plus years on different boats I repace them every 3 years and never had a problem and I'm running my boat though january in the northeast and they work every time hope this helps

Bob K

1984 254 250 Yamaha

Comment

Working...
      X