First boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First boat

I have been shopping for my first boat and have come across a 2001 252 that I love. I was looking for something in the 20' range to get my feet wet and learn proper boatsmanship. My question is do y'all think that a 252 with twin 200's is too much boat for a first time owner? Your advice is appreciated!

Jason,

That's a lot of boat for a first boat. Speaking from my own experience, your better off starting with a single engine rig - something that you'll be able to trailer easily to different areas. 20' would be perfect, don't go smaller. Maybe go up to 22'. Learn good seamanship skills with that boat and move up later.

Find yourself a good quality boat such as one of these classics, take care of her, and your investment is safe. The pride in ownership you have with a classic is a bonus to the experience.

Somehow I'm not suprised to hear you say that you love the 252. I suspect that if you feel that way you won't be happy with less. But, believe me there is a huge difference in the trailering, handling, storage, and maintenance of that boat vs a single engine 20.

Just floundering around,

Joe
    Ole Joe
    Just floundering around
    White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
    1978 Mako 25

Comment

Thanks. The answer that I wanted was "sure, great boat for begginers!". []

Comment

Jason, If that 252 is sound, motors are checked out and a good trailer....well, just go ahead and get her, I will trade ya even for my Mako 21 in excellent cond !! That way you'll have something a little smaller to learn on [][][].

Comment

Jason-

My first boat was a 20 footer, and I outgrew it in 2 seasons. If I were you, I would go for the 25 footer and just take it real slow for the first season or two until you get the hang of her. You may want to even hire a captain to give you a few onboard lessons. You should also take a USCG or Power Squadron course.

In the long run, you will wind up saving yourself a lotta money, because you wont need to upgrade to a larger boat 2 years down the line.

Good luck.

Ed

Comment

New here, great site by the way.

Jason,

I agree with Flounder 100%, yes you will outgrow a 20'er within a few years but a 252 is a bit to handle while learning. I own a 252 w/200's yam's and pull it with an F-350. Save your self some headaches and start a bit smaller. Good luck on your first.

Comment

My first boat was Mako 263. It is a little bigger than 252. It was tough to put her back in the slip for the first 5 times. By the end of first season I could put her back even in real nasty conditions alone. In fact I realized that 28'-30' would suit me even better. #61514;

I can't afford to change boats with my learning curve. Unfortunately I can't manage to pay for brand new engines as well.

Redundancy of twins is very important issue. I have 8 year old engines. Last season I had to get back twice on one banger (faulty oil sensor, steering arm's bolt snapped). It is OK to start with 25 footer. Just make sure, you have some1 experienced with you and don't approach dock faster than you'd like to hit it.
              \'94 Mako 263WA twin \'95 Mercs 200EFI [br]Brooklyn, NY

Comment

Working...
              X