Paint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint...

Howdy all. Getting ready to paint the Mako, and looking for advice as to what kind of paint to use. Want to paint the hull outside dark blue, and the deck and hatches, (it's a 18 backcountry), a light tan. Any input would be appreciated.

[8D]
    Captain Scott[br][email protected][br]Fort Lauderdale, FL

I assume you are talking about a color like Awlgrip's Flag Blue. It almost look's Black from a distance.

It's a Dark color. Dark colors need to have the surface VERY Stright.

They will show any imperfection's or waves in the surface. The only way to make one stright is with a lot of hand block sanding.

Here's a SeaCraft that was just painted. Outstanding job.[]

http://forum.classicseacraft.com/sho...=&fpart=1&vc=1

[img]

Comment

Warthog,

Why don't I just drop the thing off to you and pick it up when you're done. I love your work, and it might be fun to work on a rare Mako....LOL. Thanks for the tip on paint. I plan on hand block sanding prior to painting. Can the Awlgrip be applied without a sprayer?

[8D]

Comment

Yes, If you use the Awl-cat #3 brushing convertor.

http://www.awlgrip.com/

Comment

Capt. Scott .. FYI: The Flag Blue is Evinrude Blue [] Learned that one from the Evinrude dudes when I wanted to match my hull to the blue in my motors. We ended up rolling on do to... let's say.... lack of painter knowledge with such high quality paints.... or maybe it was just my inability to listen correctly.. who knows. [B)][:x)]

Mine doesn't shine as much as the Seacraft, but it looks descent. Needs another wet sand and buffing, but had a tournament to attend so ran out of time. I plan to spray it agian this summer with the right gun, under the right conditions, with the right mixture.[]
          Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Wow, that surface on the seaCraft is awsome, I doubt if it was that strait from the factory. Block sanded, wet sanded and buffed. I love to see nice work like that. dave
            [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

you can definitely roll awlgrip but you still need to use the spray catalyst/reducer. get a china brisel brush and use fine foamid="blue"> rollers from home depot that are 1$ a piece, roll a 4 foot section up and down, then side ways and then tip it with a GOOD brush.....will come out like glass......
              24 Privateer customized by Hurricane Sandy[br]

Comment

Awlgrip people say to use the brushing catalyst. Thats what I did anyway when I rolled mine on.

I just go through removing all of my awlgrip. Going to do the gelcoat thing.
                1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

How long does a paint job like that on the Seacraft last before it starts to fade?

That would be my biggest concern with a dark paint.
                  1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

Hi scott,

I painted my 17 with both Imron and Awlgrip. Both are good paints and I personally like Imron better. Awlgrip dosnt carry any metalic colors and Imron has a bigger selection of colors. My boat is dark concord metalic and the hold out has been great. There are a couple of draw backs to dark colors though. One is that it shows dirt and water spots. As mentioned you have to block sand the hull more than a light color boat. Imron is easier to wet sand and buff. I use a genaric catalist in my Imron that works great and is less expensive. I know people that have rolled Imron with good results but had to wet sand and buff more than a sprayed hull. Im doing my standard in Imron when the time comes. Red white and blue metalic, that should be sharp. good luck

Comment

Thank you all for the learned advice. I think I'll have my brother in law just spray it once the prep work is done. It's getting him off the big boat projects he does that will be the hard part.

[8D]

Comment

I know the feeling, I have an 8 week back log right now.

Comment

Scott,

If you prep your boat Ill come over and shoot it for you. We can wrap and shoot it in 1 day. Gary

Comment

Gary,

I might take you up on that. We're gonna wait 'till the weather moderates. I figure a couple of weekends once we start the prep should do it. I imagine you would need it off the trailer. I see you're in Naples. That's only 75 miles away. I could drag it to you. How much? Looking at doing it in March/April. Maybe we could get in some fishing.

[8D]

Comment

Scott,

Either I come to you,(which I prefer) or we can do it here. How much will it cost? 0.00 bucks. We will come over help you do the final prep and shoot your boat and all you have to do is feed us. Im not kidding. I would love to help you paint your boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X