Okay, what gives.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, what gives.......

So tell me just what makes you like Makos???? Who introduced you to these boats, and why are you so obsessed with them to spend your spare change and time on them???HUH???HUH???[]

Oyster... Growing up, they were the best. Look around today and to get the quality I want, you spend at least $90K. Go to the bank, beg, borrow and steal, and 5 years later you have an old boat.

Bought 'RudeAttitude for $11k (boat, 2x'88 Suzuki EFI, trailer, and electronics). A small amout of money each year has brought her to the state she's in now. One more year, and I'll run with those $90K boats, AND have the satisfaction of being involved in creating it.... and for a lot less than $90K.

I enjoy taking stuff apart and putting it back together. In this case, the stuff hopefully gets put back together better than before. And I get to go fishing !! [][] Boyhood dream fullfilled....
    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

I think I read that you are about 33 years young? You ain't grown up yet!!! Heck i started on a pushpole juniper skiff, and if the a house cost 90 grand, it was the White House at the end of the road leading into the plantation. [:x)]

Speaking of old, this old guy is headed to bed, way past my bedtime. Gotta rub some bengay on my bones, and take my geritol pills. You know they come in assorted colors, now.

Comment

Just nice boats that were built a bit better than all the others at the time. They have great lines that combine a carolina type hull and a south florida design in one hull. The company was owned by the Schwebke family until the early 1990's. The company was centered around family and went to great lengths to involve Mako owners and their families in boating/fishing.

I just figured I'd take a boat with great lines, restore/modify it, and help to carry on the legacy of this once great company.[]

I will buy another classic Mako hull in the next 2-3 years. If I had any dough left over from the house and baby, it would be this one...

Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I don't think they make another kind of boat that would survive the fishing that I do. If it's a tournament I got to go. My fishing buddys and I say think god it's a Makoid="red"> nothing else would make it home in this.[]
          solid action[br]Texas city, Tx[br]Mako 25[br]

Comment

My dad bought a 25 when we were young and I have loved them ever since. We got to experience the owners tournaments and that was really great for our family.

They are well boat boats and the fit and finish of the old ones are amazing compared to what was being produced then as well as what is being produced now. It's a 25 foot boat built with components you normally find on much larger sportfishing boats.

Cliff
            Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

I always liked the look of the Makos with their bow shape and how the cockpits were layed out. I never thought I would own one or realy put it high on my priority list. A friend of mine sold me my 17 for a fair price and I fell in live with the boat. I look at it like this, If I do it my myself, Im not obligated to make a payment and I realy enjoy rebuilding things. Mako owners are very differant than most of your boaters. Mako owners take pride in how tough the boat is. We have a lot of Makos in SW FL and the vast majority of them are used as they were disigned to do. I beat my boat to death and she comes back swingin every time. I hit a 4x4 and split the hull and I still got home. Im sold, I cant wait till I finish my next one!

Comment

I wanted one (for some unknown reason) before I bought my first boat ... back in the early '80s. Then a good friend found a '72 22' back in ~89 and I had the chance to go fish'in on it and fell in love. However, CC's are not as multi-useful as a bowrider, so, for the family we bought a 19'Bayliner. No jokes please[]. It was when the motor on the Bayliner quit (I was sniffing around) that I found my Mako! Of course I had to fix the Bayliner (worthless otherwise) ... Now I have 2 boats. Its all good!
                72\' Mako 22\'[br]NoNeck, VA

Comment

We had lots as I was growing up (at least 5). Now I don't know any better.
                  1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

I wanted one since I was in high school and owned a Wellcraft 20 fish CC. My buddy had a 17 Mako and constantly complained about the weight of it with an underpowered motor. I thouhgt it must ride well being heavy and I found out they rode great. I also thought it was great to see owner's clubs and all the pride of owning one. It is kind of sad that new Mako's lost that pride.
                    Former owner of a 1986 21B Mako[br]Venice, FL

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will never forget the first time Mako has a fishing tournment and gathering in the Bahamas. Being from the mindset that outboards didn't venture that far offshore, I would say that the owners were the craziest folks on earth for doing such a stunt as going that far with an outboard motor. I could never get an outboard, over the 25 hp evinrude that would run two days in a row. []

Comment

I did a lot of searching for a Mako a couple of years ago, but ended up buying a Mako relative... a Dusky. []

I've since moved on to a more 'all-weather' boat, but there are still times when I wish I still owned that little shark.
                        Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

id="size4">id="blue">

If we have to explain,than you would not understand.

No offense.[]
                          Bob

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mudshark

id="size4">id="blue">

If we have to explain,than you would not understand.

No offense.[]

No offense taken. I am in no condition to rebuild a hull such as a mako like you guys are doing here. I am a wannabe boat guy. I wanta Swamp Witch, but he wont give it to me. [] I told him I would take good care of it. Right now its just collecting dust and residue from the spare garage.

My thread is a way to understand this madness.

Comment

AWW dont sell yourself short Oyster, you may not be as young as you used to be but your knowledge base on how to getrdone is awsome. Then you have the youngsters who have all the zip to rip and tare but not the knowledge to put it back togather. I guess I am somewhere in the middle. But I sure enjoy working on this old Mako these cold winter nights. Dreaming about the big ones I will hopefully catch. Its all good.
                              [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Working...
                              X