1982 Mako 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Mako 17

Here is a 1982 17 angler I found on boattrader not far from my home. He is asking 3990. He says the motor runs well but the steering rod is frozen in the motor and the owner also says the helm and steering cables need replacing. There are no hatches on the compartments in the back, he says the teak ones rotted away. I really want a standard model and am not sure I want to buy one right now. However, the gelcoat looks really good, the transom looks solid, he is including a gps and fishfinder and a vhf. He also says the gas tank was replaced in 1996. I am going to look at it tomorrow afternoon and will have more feedback then. What do you guys think?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/2/77251852.htm
    Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

SeaReel,

Thats a pretty good price for an angler. They are realy desirable boats. I have an angler and a standard that I havnt worked on in a long time. Both are great boats. They are pretty roomy for a 17.

Comment

How many Mako 17's do you have Gary?

Cliff

Comment

I have 2. My angler is a 72 and my standard is a 74. The standard is gutted now and im doing a complete rebuils on it.

Comment

You might want to talk with a repair shop about the steering. Steering work can end up being pretty expensive.
          SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

I looked at the boat yesterday evening. I am going to back off of it for now. The floor was soft in the back around the console. The transom had a crack running between the upper motor mounts and there were spider cracks all along the port side in addition to the problems I mentioned above. This is not something I want to tackle right now although it would be a great project.

Cliff

Comment

SeaReel,

Thats probably a good idea. I thought the price was pretty good but not after what you mentioned. thats about a 1000.00 boat at best. My standard was in that shape and the whole boat was mush after I opened it up. Keep looking there are lots of good boats out there.

Comment

Seareel,

I replaced the helm and steering cable in my 1974 17 Classic a few years ago. I bought a Teleflex kit that included the helm and cable for around $200. You can buy them from any of the marine catalogues stores (West Marine, Boatersworld, etc.). Installation is fairly easy with the toughest part being trying to pull the end of the steering cable through the undersized pipe that Mako gave us under the deck. This was the 3rd or 4th steering cable for the boat.
                Chris Miller[br]Mystic Islands, NJ[br]1974 17 Classic[br]1988 211 Classic (sold)[br]1990 Grady White 230 Gulfstream (sold)[br][img][br]

Comment

Gary,

While we're on the subject of steering, What would be involved with hooking up hydraulic steering to a 17. I have to keep a solid grip on the wheel when running or getting out of the hole. I've been told a hydraulic system would be expensive but would be smooth as glass compaired to the cable setup. Any thoughts?

Thanks

SB
                  Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

There are cable steering systems that advertise "no feedback" I wonder if that would work well for your boat. These are the "rat-tail" type cables.
                    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by michigan dave

There are cable steering systems that advertise "no feedback" I wonder if that would work well for your boat. These are the "rat-tail" type cables.

I installed a Teleflex 4.2 NFB steering system on my Grady when I repowered. Silky smooth operation and very low cost. I got the helm and cable from www.boatfix.com for around $140 I believe. That system would be a perfect match for a 17'er.
                      Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

Thanks guys,

I really hoped I didn't have to install a hydraulic system. Too freakin' much $$$

Thanks

SB
                        Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

Hi Salty,

If you are having trouble with feed back in your steering that is due to your adjustment on that little trim thing on your lower unit. Hydralic steering is expensive but once you have it youll never go back. The teleflex system is a good system with little or no maint. I run a lot of HP on a small boat so if I used a teleflex unit I would have to use the high performace kit. In the long run the cost would balance. Use the cable nad you will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                          X