Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sideways on trailer

If it's not one fiasco it's another:

I went to load the boat on the trailer last nite, but the ramp is crap and the (roller) trailer wasn't level and i dislocated my shoulder in the process and I said the HECK with trying to straighten it up now[!][(#)]... So the boat is cocked off to the left and the right side rollers are half under the boat and half on the side of the boat. If this makes sense to you, how would you fix it? Park it under a tree and lift the stern with a come-along? Use a floor jack?[?][?]
    \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Find a friend to take it back to the ramp and refloat it.
    St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

If you have some type of concrete blocks, arrange them, with a small piece of wood on top, and under the centerline of the aft part keel or centerline of your boat. Crank the front wheel down, that I assume you have till the height of the blocks allow for the wood to rest on the bottom of the boat, or close to it. Then crank up the front of the trailer allowing the weight to be removed from the trailer and push the front of the trailer sideways to adjust the boat properly on it. If the weight is too much for this operation, use a floor jack under the nose of the tongue and do it. Most will have wheels on them, so just push the nose over on its own wheels. Try to do this on concrete of course, if you need to go that route.

Comment

There is only one way to really do it and that is to take it to a ramp. Any other way and the boat is still crooked and liable to shift un-predictably when you try to straighten it. If you use blocks then you still have to balance the boat on it's keel...something I would highly recommend against doing, especially if your shoulder is already lame. You would probably spend a two hours with the blocks or 10 minutes at the ramp.
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Normally the bow is still supported by the trailer. The worse case scenerio, in my past life has been the top block might shift a bit, but all it takes, unless its too far to the side is around three inches or so, unless the boat is caught betwen the rollers on one side. Disclaimer, not responsible for additional damage to you or any of the equipement: Its worth a try is it easy. If the boatramp is so bad, then you will still need to float the whole boat, as it also sounds like it takes some maneuvering to get it on the trailer. At worse, block up both corners of the hull, after cranking down the front of the boat, if you have enough blocks.

Comment

I would have to agree with Oyster. Having slid my 224 off on the ground numerous times to work on it. I know that it's not that big a deal to maneuver a boat around on the trailer.

Just take your time and keep a close eye on everything and it should work fine.
            1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

Heck if you have some good eyes in the transom, just take some good 3/4" inche line or multiple stranded of even 1/2 stuff, tie it to a tree and your stern eye, cocking the boat on the angle of which it needs to go, with the rig hooked up to your vehicle and pull foward with it, if the hull is not locked inbetween the rollers. Let lose the bow eye strap before you attempt this way. Sometimes this will cock the boat on the trailer along with pulling it part the way off. So just winch it back up on it, if this happens. This way actually works nice with the bunk arrrangements.

Comment

We have a crappy ramp too and on occastion I have the same problem. I either wait until the tides change so I am on a better more level part of the ramp or another option is to take it to a more level ramp. We are in the Nothern Neck ... A little far to go for another crappy ramp! Good luck.
                72\' Mako 22\'[br]NoNeck, VA

Comment

MakoShako, you're up in Man-asses, aren't you? I'm on the Middle Peninsula... it seems like crappy ramps are all the craze now.

I don't want to attempt to drive it to the good ramp, because that's at the yacht club which I don't belong to, so I'd have to do it under the cover of darkness, which is what got me in this problem in the first place.

I think I'm going to try the floor jack method before I go for the tree. The bow is against the roller on the winch tree but only off by about an inch. The aftermost rollers on the right side are half on the side of the boat and half underneath. This should be interesting (i.e. involve much profanity). [}]
                  \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Sounds like the tree will not work unless you figure out how to blcok it up. Those rollers and bracket should pivot enough, if you even jack up the stern of the boat, using somehting like 4x6 or stuff, on top of the jack to lift it and place a 2x12 or something across the rollers to help assist when you pull it with a rope. let me know, My son is in Yorktown and looking for something to do for the weekend. He is pretty experienced with messing with boats and trailers and would run up there. Its not that far for him. He is a bear of a guy, so a little bit of excersize will not hurt him.

Comment

Yeah were in Manassas, but have a house down in the Northern Neck @ Glebe Harbor. Getting ready to head down for the weekend right now! I assume the ramp is not any more level at different tides. That does suck! Good luck.
                      72\' Mako 22\'[br]NoNeck, VA

Comment

Working...
                      X