Bow Rails?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow Rails?????

I know several of you have boats without the bow rail. I kind of like this look and was just wondering

1. do you ever miss haveing the rail on

2. would you have removed it if it would have been of stainless construction?

I am trying to decide what to do with mine. dave.
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

One of the best things I ever did to my boat was get rid of the original aluminum bow rail. It really depends on the model of your boat and what you plan to do with it. The bow of my 224 has pretty high sides and I use the bow to cast artificials to stripers in the backwaters.

Comment

Dave, I took my rail off, well, a 45' sailboat did while the boat was on the mooring, so I didn't have a choice. But I would have taken it off anyway. I do mainly fly fishing and since you have to keep the rod tip close to the surface or the water while stripping, the bow rail got in the way. I think it looks better without it too. As far as safety goes, I don't know what model mako you have, but mine doesn't have seating in the bow. So when the boat is under way, people wont' be riding up there and in need of a safety rail.

[br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

Dave,

To me it's dependant on your needs. I still have my bow rail on. For fishing, it can get in the way, but when I'm anchoring in anything but calm seas, it's useful as a brace.

My kids like to sit up on the bow as well, and they (and my wife) like the added security it provides.

For cast netting baits; yeah, it gets in the way. For fly fishing, the same thing. I just work around it. I do wish it were 6" lower.

Tom
        Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

I like the way my boat looks without it, but its one hell of a great place to store the rig hook while under way or while fishing on the anchor.
          Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

In one of the recent storms, a tree limb fell and cracked in half over my bow rail. It is the original SS bow rail and it now has a "V" in between two of the stansions. I'm trying to decide what it would cost to repair it, replace it with Aluminum or SS, or dispose of it all together. Thanks to Jim at ArcTek, I have a quote for aluminum and an offer to try and straighten what's there, for a minimal fee (beer!). Anyone know if it's really possible to straighten something like this? How much would a stainless replacement cost?
            Formerly: Mako 236[br]Currently: 35\' Viking[br]Greenwich, CT

Comment

Putnam, when my rail was damaged, the insurance surveyer called around Boston, MA and got an average estimate of $650 (the boat above). I asked for stainless also, but the insurance surveyer quoted me double that of aluminum. So I took that money and put it towards a leaning post, haha. I was told you can't bend back aluminum or it will crack, but I'm sure ark tec know's some tricks.
              [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

I have a stainless rail that fit's a '73 231 I let go pretty cheap.

I was going to use it and modify it. I changed my mind and filled the last of the mounting holes yesterday.[]

Comment

Thanks Warthog...I will keep that in mind. It might be cost prohibitive to have it shipped to CT though. Jim's price was pretty reasonable to make me a new aluminum one and his cost for trying to fix mine is unbeatable, for me. That said though, my boat is up in MA having the deck replaced, so I might be too broke to do any other upgrades/repairs this year. Anyone with the skill and resources to do that kind of work can make a pretty penny, let me tell you!
                  Formerly: Mako 236[br]Currently: 35\' Viking[br]Greenwich, CT

Comment

Bob,

I have a 1973 C/C with an I/O, will this fit?

Mine is a model 23. You can see pics under discussions in the vintage advertising Mako thread last posted by Capt Vic.

Thanks,

Tom
                    Hugs Tug [br]2007 SteigerCraft 23\' Miami W/ 225 Suzuki[br]Former 1973, 23 Mako C/C with I/O[br]Mattituck[br]Long Island N.Y.

Comment

It should fit, but the problem is Pensacola,Fl. to Long Island N.Y.[]

Comment

I long for a good stainless rail, In my opinion the aluminum rails were just second class. If I can find a stainless rail up here Iwill probably use itfor my 21.rails are kind of generic and can be moved and positioned quite a bit. My Mako20 has a rail off of a 21 pursuit. Sweeeet. I have even thought of swiping the stainless rail off of my 20 before I sell it.
                        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Hello guys I have a stainless bow rail on my 1984 254 mako the aluminum just didn't look the part the stainless looks great but it was costly its probally twelve years old and looks brand new

Bob K

1984 254

250 Yamaha

Comment

Warthog, I might be interested in your bow rail. What are the dimensions - got a picture?
                            [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

I'll have to do some measuring and pix's tommorow. $150 and you pick it up here.

Comment

Working...
                              X