repower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repower

You all have seen this question before...but I really mean business this time!! Looking to repower a 231. Had a 200 hp Yami that threw a rod..ugh--I was told it would run forever!! I've stopped looking at 4 strokes (too much $ & lbs) and am focused on 2's...Mercury Opti vs Yamaha....both are readily available in my area--Chesapeake Bay. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!

QUOTE: I've stopped looking at 4 strokes (too much $ & lbs) and am focused on 2's

I'd be looking a Bomb's E-tec then.

Comment

Hey there-

Sorry to hear about your motor, that sucks.

Anyway, you should consider going up to a larger motor. I have a 231 with a 225hp Suzuki 2 stroke and it runs great, but definitely would not mind a 250hp. I think a 200hp is a bit too small for that boat in my opinion.

I would say go with a Yamaha 225 or 250 HPDI. Yamaha has a new promotion out that extends the warranty for FREE from 2 years to 5 years if you buy the motor from dealer inventory and register the warranty card by April 1 2005 (i think that is the deadline).

Anyway...best of luck and let us know how you make out.

Ed

Comment

All I know is I've been very happy with my 2-stroke carbed Merc. 150. No experience with the Optis though. In fact, I chose ol' smokey over a 135 Opti for the same price. Never regretted it for a minute. []

Give Almar's Outboards in DE a call. They have very good prices and no sales tax. []
        Brian[br]St. Leonard, MD

Comment

My '00 OPTI's are great. They sip fuel, probably as good or better than a four-stroke. Very low oil consumption. But they are noisier than a 4-stroke. My pair of 135's consistanty produce 2.5 to 3MPG in most any condition I'll go out in.

I, like Warthog, would suggust a hard look at the E-Tech motors. They are the newest and most advanced 2-Stoke on the market now.
          [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

My vote would be for the bomb E-tecs. Heard to many OPTI problems, still, and yeah, there was the ficht thing but soros is gone and Bomb seems to be doing things the right way, they've had the smaller 90s out for awhile now. I think they come with a 7 year warranty too.
            1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

I'm w/ Ed on the HP issue. I have a 200 on my 21. I do not think that I would enjoy this boat as much with anything less. you should be in the 225/250 range for your 231.
              2003 Boston Whaler 255 Conquest w/ twin 200 HPDI\'s. MA & ME

Comment

You don't say what year your 23' Mako is; or what the deadrise is -- that will drive your horsepower requirements. The greater the deadrise, the more power is needed to get up on plane.

If you've got a 23' from the early-mid 70s, you can probably get away with 200hp. But if your boat has 19 degrees or more deadrise, you NEED 225 ponys on the transom. Running a 200hp o/b on a deep vee hull only stresses the engine unnecessarily.

I would avoid Yamaha's 250 HPDI for now -- they still seem to be having trouble with it. I know they're more $$, but these new 4-strokes are great! I'm running a Yamaha F225 on my 224 (basically a 23 Mako) and with a full load, I cruise at 30mph (4,000 RPMs), getting 3 MPG. Suzuki's 4-strokes also have a great reputation. I would also look hard at Evinrudes 225 Ficht -- probably some good deals out there now that they're promoting the big Etec engines.

Good Luck,

Tom
                Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Thanks for the input...as I read everyones responses...they are all different!!! I was hoping for a clear choice...I don't know anyone around my area with the Bomb--E-tech's...scares me, have always heard Suzi's are great but have no local dealer, have a buddy with an Opti but while I might be imagining things..it just seems that it doesn't shift as smoothly as my old Yami. A new Yami would save me having to install all new instruments and rigging would be cheaper. Yami---would prefer to go with the HDPI but wish they had a 225--choices are 200 or 250. My 231 is a 87' and think the 250 might weigh too much? Bottom line...anything is better than the motorless boat I have now!! A local Opti dealer has a 2002 225 Opti that has been upgraded with the new computer/chip?..making it identical to the 04'/05's. Calls it a factory remanufacture? It has 0 hours and comes with a 3 year factory warranty..$8500 + rigging...may be tough to beat...

Comment

If you can make to Perry GA. there is a place called the sporting center they sell Johnson Evinrude I think they also sell Mercs. They sell factory direct the OMC factory is in Calhoun GA. I saved $3000 i bought a 150 Johnson carberated OB In 2002 it runs like a charm. They also ship any where. It cost me $100 to ship it to panama city fla,
                    chip[br]1971 mako 19\' / 2013 Pathfinder 22TE[br]Panama City,FL[br]

Comment

I just sold a non mako boat with twin 2001 225 opti's. For the most part they were good and fuel efficient. I just had problem with things like sensors that would go bad. It was all covered under warranty. One time got stuck 30 miles out with only one motor to come in on. The problem was a crankshaft position sensor!
                      Sarasota, Florida

Comment

What's the possibility of getting your hands on a used 225hp EFI? With all the repowering going on these days, there may be an opportunity.

I know what you mean when you say you'd like to stay with the same manufacturer in order to use the same binnacle, control cables, wiring harness, gauges, ... When I changed over from an Evinrude VRO to a 4-stroke Yamaha, it cost me $1500 for the above items -- including the prop.

Good Luck,

Tom
                        Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
                        X