• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glide Strips On Bunkers

I am considering replacing my perfect tandem, bunk trailer

with a roller trailer with brakes.

I have come to the realization that a trailer with Brakes will

serve me better for the amount of close calls I had Last year while

trailering my Mako 191. Traffic between Boston and Cape Cod is erratic at best.

To add Brakes onto my current trailer is no big deal, the local

Marina quoted me about $ 600.00 for the parts to do myself.

The problem is that I would also like to add rolletrs to assist in

an easier launch/retrieve. When I add on roller kit the cost is

prohibitive and I should just replace the trailer. However, I would

like to solict opinions on the glide strips that can be added to the bunkers. Bottom line, would they make a significant difference on a painted bottom.

In advance, thanks for the advise.

Capt Bob

191 Mako

Cape Cod, MA

I know that many boats have been damaged by sliding off the trailer when backing down a ramp. That should tell you something. []

Also, rollers do not give as much support to the hull so if you are doing a lot of trailering bunks are preferred.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

Ah, tell me what you will be buying for six bucks??What type of trailer do you have now, like brand, axles and stuff? Stop and lets look a this a minute here. Also, do you power load your boat?

Comment

Several years ago we refitted our bunker trailer and at the time had a source of virgin teflon in wide strips. We installed this over the carpet with alumnium strips. I am not sure what the glide strips are but I think this is a similar set up?

Anyway, the boat did screaming off the trailor the first time we put it in. We anticipated this and did not unhook the boat from the trailer until the boat and trailer was in the water. You just have to be careful.

We have now added bunkers further up the boat and removed the cross member that keel of the boat got scuffed up on all the time. The added bunks do not have teflon on them and the boat is a bear to get off the trailer.

Cliff
        Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

We added the strips to a buddy of mines trailer. 231 proline on it.

It made a hell of a diffrence. As Sailor said. Do NOT unhook the strap until the boat's in the water.

Comment

I agree about the glide strips, they are especially slick when they are wet (ie. pulling your boat up). Don't like the roller bunks. With everything considered, I'll stick with my bunks and carpet.

Brakes are a no brainer, always better to have than not. The new electronic brakes are nice and I'll be upgrading my current surge brakes to them next time I need an over haul on my brake system.
            Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I moved this from the classifieds over to here.
              Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Hey CApt Bob-

I hear your pain. The ramps around Massachusetts and New England in general are very, very steep and as a result winching a boat onto bunks is a complete bitch. My last trailer was a bunk trailer and even after adding bunk glides...I said the heck with it and sold it. I now have a Magic Tilt aluminum roller trailer and easily winch my boat on without a problem.

Go with a roller trailer and you will be very happy. Give Rick at Coastline Trailers in Falmouth a call. I bought my trailer from him before I got in the business and he was very easy to deal with.

Ed

Comment

Could you show us a picture
                  1988 Mako 231[br]Jackson, MS

Comment

I know some folks that spray Armour All - or the like - on the carpet.

Makes it slick as owl shit.
                    SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

Have a number of friends with the teflon strips on the bunks that like them after getting used to.

A note of caution with any bunk trailer.... Strap your boat down to the trailer in the rear. either from lift eyes or across side to side. In the Keys FHP will ticket you without!

I encourage everyone to add a cross bar or sturdy eye bolt with a length of chain to the (Painter) Bow eye, and a turnbuckle to the trailer. I unfortunately have seen too many accidents where the Boat continues forward motion thru the trailer crank post and into and over the pickup/SUV cab. I use the spring loaded tie down (turnbuckle) used to secure a slide in camper to the truck! works great with no tools.

"Safe Boating and Trailering is No Accident"

Jim
                      June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

Working...
                      X