Mako back on track??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako back on track??????

This past week I read an article about the new management team that Mako has put in place to try to get the company back on track.

What do the rest of you think they have to do to bring back the Mako name?

I was looking at my copy of the 2004 Mako catelog and here are my recommendations:

1. Clearly Mako is trying to produce too many different models rather than building a few models and getting the design and fit & finish perfect.

2. The company needs to get back to the classic designs and high quality workmanship that make the early Makos so highly sought after.

3. The entire Mako Inshore series of boats should be eliminated. These boats are weak at best when compared to the crowded flats and bayboat market.

4. The current 171 and 201 models should be kept as is and work on quality workmanship on those models.

5. The 195 Dual Console should be eliminated. Again there are enough dual consoles out there to fill the demand.

6. The 192 Cener console should be eliminated. Its an OK boat if it had the Bayliner Trophy logo on the side.

7. The current 212 center console should be kept as is or replaced by going back to one of the 21 foot designs of the early 80s.

8. The current 232 and 252 models should be scrapped. These models should be replaced with an updated version of the 235 or 231 from the 80s and an updated version of the 261 of the 80s to replace the current 25.

9. The 253 walk around should be scrapped. There are more than enough walk arounds out there.

10. The current 314 should be scrapped and a new design with classic mako lines should be worked on for down the road if they can get the Mako name reestablished.

Ultimately I think the folks at Mako should take a good long look at the business model created by Regulator. You don't need to produce 12 different models to have something for everyone. What you need to do is have a handfull of models (six seems to be the perfect number to me) and build these models to be the toughest fishing machines you can possibly create at a price is in the mid to upper third of the price range for similar boats. The emphasis must be on quality in every aspect of the building process from the layup to the electrical and hardware used.

What do you guys think?

Brother I could'nt agree with you more. Seems like you have done your home work on Makos.

Comment

I would love to get a shot to put Mako back on the map. I have a passion for the old Mako boats and a business background. I would love that kind of opportunity.

I think the problem with Mako is that the people they bring in to run things are people from the boat industry rather than people who have a knowlege and passion for Mako boats and the business knowledge to get the job done. There is a differance. A guy who is moving up from within the industry from Boston whaler may have the tools to do the job but might lack the passion for what made Mako great in the first place.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Shallbetter

Brother I could'nt agree with you more. Seems like you have done your home work on Makos.

I'll second that emotion... []

Bring back the older designs, with great materials, and limit the number of models to the ones that fisherfolk have drooled over for years.

I'd buy one..
        Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

I agree with you, However feel the first thing would be to separate themselves from Tracker Marine, These guys are products of BASS PRO, Good dealers are going to be very reluctant to deal with MAKO.

But up most they need a lesson in keeping their word and BACKING the WARRANTY, Oh yes lets not forget a customer service department.

Tracker has a habit if you are a dealer and you beat B/P price on a Tracker boat, the rep is in your store the next day wanting to know why you did it. I guess Johnny needs more sales, hell lets take him out of the picture too, then attempt to hire some of the old staff from Florida,

I had been to the plant in Florida many times, ALL of the employees were very helpful and some could even remember the boat that was built for me, I would pull in a grab a few parts, Gel coat, a few strips of teak and a switch or 2..NO CHARGE. They took care of customers

Anyway not only when I purchased a Mako did I buy the boat for its excellent qualities, I also enjoyed the Funaments and the pride that came with the owner ship of the boat. Newer Mako Owners will never have that.

I will never forget to this day when I saw the Ranger Center Console shortly after the buy out of Mako by B/P. I was so sick at my stomach and knew it would only be down hill from here. Well here we are.

I use to buy a few things from B/P but after doing what they did to Mako if they were the last place in the world to buy a rod, I would use a shoestring and a paper clip to fish before I would spend money with them.

Brad

Land Locked 254

Louisville KY
          Brad 254 Louisville Ky

Comment

Everyone is making some excellent points. I have to be honest and say that I don't think Mako will ever get back the place it held in the small boat industry during the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. The boating world has changed tremendously since those days.

Mako is now part of a large --- no, make that VERY large, corporation, and not the primary focus of it. (As a note, I'm told Johnny Morris sold Bass Pro Shops to Franklin Financial several years ago and has only a limited role) Profit drives things -- not customer satifaction. Building a high quality boat is expensive, both in material and process (labor). Just look at the hardware you find on Makos -- it used to be Marinium (a high cost alloy that didn't rust); now Mako uses Perko. Big companies tend to focus on reducing costs inorder to maximize profit -- not increase costs and then raise the price of the product. Those companies that do (Yellowfin/SeaVee), concentrate on a limited market that is willing to pay top dollar for their boats.

Would be interested in seeing what Tracker Marine's business plan is for Sea Craft and Mako -- and their target owner. While Mako was often successfully used by hardcore fishermen in Florida (in the 70s and 80s they and Sea Craft were big names in south Fl), they made their business marketing to families, i.e. Tournaments evolved into Funaments. Wives and kids had "fun"; and supported Dad when he wanted to move up from a 20' Mako to a 23', and so on ... On the other hand, Sea Craft was seen as more of a pure fishing boat. When Tracker started with both, they clearly continued that targeting -- just look at the print ads; Sea Crafts with 2-3 guys and lots of rods, Makos with families a couple of spinning rods. Mako should NOT attempt to compete with the SeaVee/Contender/Yellowfin market!

Would like to see Mako/Tracker make major changes in the line as Mako 224 suggested; focusing on marketing to the Family Fisherman with a reasonable, high quality, boat.

1. Keep the 17 and 20 CC's as "all around" boats.

2. Next a 22' in three versions; notched transom CC, dual console and Cuddy (w/ euro transoms -- Mom's with kids love 'em). Another option is to bring back the old 221B (Armstrong Bracket) with two different interiors -- one with the forward seating, another with a step-up deck with two boxes that drain overboard.

3. A 24' or 25' cc and cuddy -- with euro transoms. I would also make a notched transom version with a secure transom gate, like a Conch 27. Deadrise for this boat hull would be 23 degrees as the focus would be as an offshore fishing/cruising boat.

4. A 28' cc.

Some notes:

1. Manufacturing, all the larger boats (24' and up) should be made using both vinyl and poly resins as well as vacuum bagged. Adds expense, but results in a higher quality boat.

2. Use Gem Lux hardware and marine tinned wiring on all boats.

3. Fix the consoles -- right now they pretty much suck. Current consoles are cheap and poorly constructed. No clear wiring paths or mounting surfaces for todays electronics. Radars, which you never saw on Mako sized boats in the 70s & 80s, are now becoming commonplace. New consoles should recognize the emergence networked electronics and design consoles that facilitate that. The consoles of 24' and larger boats should accomadate 2x10" displays.

4. Interior layouts. Fix them on the 22' and 24' to make them more fishing friendly, i.e. open deck in front (maybe an 8" step up for better storage), with a forward seating option like Regulator does on it's 24' and 26'.

5. For boats 22' and under, lose the obsession with an 8 1/2' beam -- I think it leads to a rough riding hull at that LOA. Keep deadrise at 19 or 20 degrees.

6. Bring back sponsorship of 3 or 4 Funaments. Perhaps two in Florida, one in the Mid-Atlantic, and one in the Northeast. These will always be "loss leaders", but result in future sales. It's also an opportunity to showcase new/updated models. I would not necessarily co-sponsor small events run by local "clubs".

Finally, customer support has to be addressed. The Sea Ray Boat company has made an excellent reputation in their part of the boating market doing just that. Many Sea Ray owners are on their 2nd or 3rd Sea Ray -- Just like Mako in the 80s and early 90s! Their customer service and dealer network is superb.

Mako is coming out with a new 28' CC this winter/spring. The first one is going to George Poveromo and their hope is to have it ready for the Miami Boat Show 17-21 February 2005. A lot will hinge on that boat. Both in what is at the show, and what is produced afterwards. Hope it works out...

Tom
            Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Cudos''''' We concur with all the above, BUT [:-(] could I motion to amend the motion in "Prop Blasts" notes #6.

If they (Mako) compleetly run and Fund some Funaments, then we (small clubs) can come and enjoy them more without all the logistics and work. This I would gladly give up.

But:

if NOT...then: to continue to support the "Small Clubs" who have Big Funaments.!

Have you seen their new add? "Mako, true to the core" ? we'll see

With all due respect!

Jim
              June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

I definately second getting away from the 8'6" beam in boats 25 feet and under. I had thought of that but forgot to put it in my original post.

Being part of a huge corporation is also a major handicap.

Comment

Jim,

I did not mean to exclude the Club run Funaments, like the excellent event the Manasota Mako Club has run for years, from Mako support. My intent is to make it palletable to Mako so they realize the loss was theirs.

If Mako runs events at prime locations, at prime times; they're much more likely to pull in greater participation. Palm Beach in Jan during the sailfish run, the Keys in May for dolphin and reef fishing, Maryland or Chesapeake in summer/early fall, and New England during the Bluefin and Bluefish/Striper runs, will bring folks in.

If things catch on, maybe expand the schedule -- but don't use Mako Marine Sponsorship as a crutch; clubs have to be resourceful on their own, like you do for your event each spring. I think that reliance started things on a downward slide in the mid 90s -- every club and dealership wanted (and in some cases expected) their event to be just like the Mako Masters at Sailfish Marina or the Walkers Cay Event. Now the new owners letting Bill Munro go in '96 didn't help any. They did realize their error and brought him back a year later.

Club sponsored events should be a great excuse for getting together and having fun on the water. We did that in NC and here in Tampa as well. The big funament at Marathon each May was mainly put on by the South Florida Mako Club, albet with some support from Mako. But you could count on someone from Mako there, along with reps from engine companies like Pat Eaves (sp?) from OMC; fishing seminars from well known guides/fishing celebrities -- believe that is where George Poveromo gave some of his intitial seminars. You just can't expect that from smaller events -- though I know at our Funament in NC, dealer support was a done deal, regardless of what was hanging off your transom!

Look forward to more discussion.

Tom
                  Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

For what it's worth, I was at the NYC boat show this past weekend, and the 21CC they had on display had a visibly crooked/wavy starboard rubrail. Didn't bother to check the port side after that...
                    NYC & L.I. - 1974 \"Classic\" Mako 20\' - Suzuki 2006 DF150 - Fly & Light Tackle, C&R[br]My boat: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23444#159594[br]Personal website: http://www.georgemcauliffe.com/

Comment

I went to the Providence, RI show this week. From what I saw Mako has some serious ground to cover to win fans. The 231 at the show was awful. Poor wiring and installation, 5200 smears, a baitwell in the transom with a misshaped oval cut with unfinished cut surface . The hole was raw fiberglass with junk in the well! I'ld say serious quality control issues.
                      Art

Comment

Working...
                      X