Thru-hull or transom mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thru-hull or transom mount?

I am adding a Garmin sounder to my chartplotter. Garmin offers transom mount and thru-hull transducers for the unit. I was leaning towards the bronze thru-hull until I saw the size of the unit and realized that I would have to put a huge hole in my hull. Is the thru-hull really that much more accurate to justify the hull carnage? The transom mounts are made of plastic but are 1/3 the price of the bronze thru-hull.
    Mako 212[br]Monmouth Beach[br]New Jersey

Memag

Welcom aboard. I've been using transom mounts for more than 20 years with great success. The key is to have solid water below the transducer face (NO BUBBLES). Bubbles are caused by projections on the hull in front of the transducer. I have found that if you mount the unit so that the forward end abuts the transom with no space between the two and a dowm angle on the transducer of 1/2 to 1 degree the face of the transducer will be in solid water.

The other way to mount it would be to put aflat board tight to one of the flat running strakes on the hull with a piece of waxed paper on the board. Then place the transducer on the board so that the face is flat on the waxed paper. Mark the mounting plate holes on the transom. Remove the transducer drill the holes fill them with 3M 5200 and mount the bracket. With the board and waxed paper still in place fill the void between the transom and the transducer with Marine Tex. When that sets remove the board, waxed paper and fillany voids on the bottom with more MarineTex. Ten sand smooth with a fin grade of paper. This wil provide a continuation of the hull plane through the end of the transducer and a very smooth flow of water over its face. Note this method does not need the down angle at the rear of the transducer.

Bubbles cause interference on your screen -- solid water will eliminate the problem.
    Capt. Vic[br]Six O Stretch 261CC T200 Js[br]Glimmer Glass/ Manasquan/ Milltown, NJ[br]<i></i>

Comment

Thanks Vic.

Comment

I've got an '87 224 with a Garmin sounder. I've had problems with my transom mount when trolling at 10-15 kts due to all the bubbles that backflow to the transom at these moderate barely planing speeds. I just bought an In-Hull Puck Mount transducer for my unit. This transducer in mounted in the bilge and no hole need be cut in the hull. I got this idea after riding with a friend who had expoxied his transom mount! in his bilge on a 23' Pursuit and had good success, incl. sensitivity with this arrangement. The best price I found on the Garmin In Hull transducer was at www.planet.gps. $74.95 plus 9.39 shipping. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Robert. Good site!

Comment

There is a little more on this if you look in "Electronics" I started a thread last week and there was some good info.
            1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

Wilson

I read it.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X